Black Ops 2 crosses $1 billion mark in 15 days worldwide

Wednesday, 5th December 2012 13:09 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Black Ops 2 has crossed the $1 billion mark in worldwide retail sales, according to Chart-Track and internal company estimates.

The game achieved this milestone within 15 days of launch. Comparatively, 2011′s Modern Warfare 3 reached $1 billion in retail sales in 16 days.

“The release of Call of Duty has been one of the most significant entertainment events of each of the last six years,” said Bobby Kotick, CEO of Activision Blizzard. “Since Call of Duty was launched, cumulative franchise revenues from players around the world are greater than current worldwide box office receipts to date for the top-10 grossing films of 2012 combined.

“Life-to-date sales for the Call of Duty franchise have exceeded worldwide theatrical box office receipts for Harry Potter and Star Wars, the two most successful movie franchises of all time.”

Compared to films, the box office record set for feature films was in 2009 by “Avatar” which hit $1 billion in 17 days.

Since the game’s launch, more than 150 million hours have been logged online through PSN and XBL.

Black Ops 2 was released worldwide on November 13 for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

1. Dragon246

*MINDBLOWN*
    Sales are less, but revenue is more? Something does not fit.

2. zinc

Glad I could help Activision :-)

3. Strange Sultan

Yes. ‘hard’ earned money -_-

4. Dave Cook

@3 making a game to that standard and with that much content – Call of Duty or not – in just two years is hard work. They deserve every penny they make regardless of what people think of the series.

5. ManuOtaku

For me this is the best call of duty yet, of the latests ones of course. I do love the maps, the weapons, the pace,etc; is the first one i feel that being smart pays off in the same way as being quick with the reflexes, iam pretty decent at this game, with theprevious iterations no so much, i will skip the infinity releases and just focus on the treachyard games, well done guys kudos and you really deserve all the good accolates.

6. Erthazus

To that standard?
    LOL?
    BO2 is a reskinned version of BO1.

Sorry, guys for free make Half-Life 1 remake on Source even with new gameplay ideas and this deserve something? Okay.

7. DrDamn

Yes you’ve shown before that you know exactly how much effort is required in modern game development. A new MP map is just a few days effort for one person.

8. ManuOtaku

#6 i dont think is a re-skinned version of BO1, i think the freedom in the personal layouts with the 10 tickets is a nightmare for balancing things out, i am not a developer or i have that much of knowladge in that department, but something tells me that there is a lot of variations and variables into play, that requieres a lot of plan and efforts and overall changes.

9. viralshag

Agree with Manu. This is by far my favourite CoD game to date.

@7, Why u arguing, bro?? He is leet game designer making games (not just maps ofc!!) in days!!!1! Blamdigidy and all that…

10. ManuOtaku

you know what will be cool, if we send Erthazus to trechyard or infinity offices and unite all the teams in a board room and say this is the guy that says he can do your expansions by himself in just one day, hoping they hire him and they put him into work 24/7 in all the COD expansions by himself, that will be poetic justice into work :)

11. Shuklar

Regardless where I go, there’s always something that has to pop up and remind me how much I hate humanity.

12. zinc

@Manu, Pleased your enjoying it mate & that your MP experience has improved :-)

What system you playing on?

@11, Then stop watching Jersey Shore. Simple.

13. ManuOtaku

#12 Zinc 360

14. Dragon246

Can someone really help me understand how even though sales reports are suggesting blops 2 sold less than mw3, it manages to earn more?

15. Erthazus

Yeah, 1 guy can make a map. Why not?
    In the past devs had teams with 3 people.

Guys that made Black Mesa for example had a team with 43 people only (which includes a lot of web programmers anyway) and they made a game in Source which is very hard to develop for (2 Principal Programmers ONLY) and not to mention that textures and modelling there is also by far much more complex than in CoD games that is reengineered 1999 year old engine and Black Mesa is for FREE.

P.S. 5 people worked on “Prop modelling” in Black Mesa in a full game that requires more then just 1 map.

@,Dragon, ELITE and Merchandising.

16. zinc

@Manu, shame I’m on the PS3, though you could play a few games with Gigahurtz… Apparently his not too good mind, so if you have any tips for him?

:-D

17. ManuOtaku

#16 zinc i think he doesnt want to play with the plebeians, he is with the elite class ;_;, sadly iam not a part of that group. ;)

18. manamana

Not my cup of coffee but….

/tips hat

19. Da Man

#15

The fact that you believe crosshair movement makes CoD a Q3 engine videogame is humorous (in a bad way, mind you..).

Similarly, the fact that you call that piece of shit ‘remake’ done by useless nerds (but still better than your internet contributions) ‘making a game’ is astonishing.

I’m not even touching on the ‘in the past’ part, since you’re way too mental (or dense) to realize how much of a retarded straw man your bullshit actually is.

But then again, what you’re basically doing on this website is tricking yourself (every time you say something it becomes obv you can’t even translate others’ posts..)

Why don’t you shut the trap for once and try spending time on something aside from hentai masturbation and playing videogames? You’re merely full of shit and insane.

20. fearmonkey

The first black ops bored me, never finished it and the multiplayer was same ol COD. The last COD game I actually enjoyed was Infinity Ward’s Modern Warfare 1, Treyarch’s games just don’t feel as good tome.
    My favorite COD games is still COD 2 though., the first time I played that on my 360 I was amazed.

I’ll rent blackops 2 but im sure it will be the same ol same ol.

21. stevenhiggster

@19 It actually is made using the Quake 3 engine, that’s kind of a fact. It is a very tweaked version of that engine, but still that engine nonetheless.
    That is all I’m saying, I have no real love or hatred for COD, it is what it is. I used to play COD 4 all the time but haven’t bought one since MW2, not because I hate it, simply because I’ve been playing other stuff.

22. G1GAHURTZ

Manu!

I am more than happy to play with anyone.

Add me on XBL, so I can show all my diamond SMG camos off to you!

23. Da Man

#21

Nope, it’s a a popular internet misconception due to the originals being built with a modified Q3 engine. CoD4 and onwards Q3 it is not.

24. Erthazus

“Nope, it’s a a popular internet misconception”

No, you are the internet troll that knows nothing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IW_engine FACT.

or better here: http://www.ign.com/articles/2009/07/15/the-10-best-game-engines-of-this-generation?page=2

IGN is the better choice so kids like you could understand that you are a complete moron that knows nothing.

and of course The Most Important Part: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GtkRadiant . But you are too stupid to understand that anyway so it’s a link just to prove my point.

As always, you are wrong. the core of IW engine is from Id Tech 3.0 and it has nothing to do with “crosshair movement”, but it is also very important part. You don’t know that it is based on that engine the same way you don’t know what is the difference between Direct X9 games and past Direct x8 or Original XBOX games. What a waste.

Fuck off child.

25. lama

they call it IW engine and yes, its a modified id Tech 3(Q3) engine

26. Gadzooks!

#20

Same here, it’s amazing how well CoD 2 still holds up today. 4 player splitscreen on Tunisia maps is still great.

I really liked CoD 3 as well. Some brilliant MP maps and modes.

CoD 4 was the last one for me. After that it was all downhill, IMO.

Amazing sales figures for Blops2 though. There is no sign of that bubble bursting yet.

27. Da Man

Erzatwat, it’s not rocket science to figure that anything you say is either completely made up bs or paraphrased someone else, hence it’s apparent there should be some Kotaku commenter or someone who started this.

^Fact.

You, stupid isolated piece of shit, couldn’t figure how to draw a triangle on screen, so you’re in no position to say what’s the ‘core ‘ of engine (well, you aren’t on any other subject actually, but I digress), besides Source is based on HL1 one, and that one is based on Q1, you unbelievable fool (and Q1 is based on Doom, and Doom is based on Wolf3d, which in turn was based on Hovertank).

Thus as a matter of fact, Half Life 2 runs on a modified 1990 engine. La la la, you’re wrong, child.

Now run along and fap to Aeris doujinshi.

Shut the trap and go enlighten similar patients on ag. Oh wait.. It’s gone, finally.

28. Fin

Man I hate all Call of Dutys.

Better go play Blops for 500 hours.

29. DarkKnight

Erthazus, why are you responding to DaFuckMan? His ass is swollen since he used his 360 to masturbate and its paining. Leave the asshole alone, he needs rest.

30. Da Man

I wonder if #29 is a new phase in Kerplunk’s schizophrenia.

Seems a lot like it, lmao.

31. absolutezero

For someone with such disdain for nerds in general you do seem to know alot of the terminology of Japanese fandom.

Doujins eh? How lewd…

32. Da Man

All you have to do to enlighten yourself with the basics of JP nerds terminology is visit a videogame forum board and use a search engine.

That doesn’t make me an expert on those things (fortunately), merely an uneducated casual (blissfully unaware of the depth of modern japanese culture).

33. DarkKnight

Didn’t you know all those Akihabara doujinshi shops have a frequent foreign visitor who goes by DaFuckMan who looks pregnant with 360 in his ass?

34. ManuOtaku

#22 GIGA man i was joking ok, i seriously dont think that, hence the face on the comment, and yes i will add you to see all your accolates, i know you are pretty good at it, i only hope i can help the team while doing decent numbers, right now my k/d ratio is 0.86 i believe, and for me thats great numbers compare with the 0.48 and 0.60 of previous games, and i came in the top 3 17 times thus far, which is equal to all my previous COD combine, iam having fun with this game, more than with battlefield 3, but not more than gotham city impostors.

35. Da Man

I used to import Brian The Lion doujinshi from japan, but then I discovered Metal Gear hentai and was hooked since. Too bad they all use the same engine.

36. absolutezero

Still lewd.

37. taj1994

That’s nothing. Halo 4 has made at least half that (probably alot more, but all I can find is stuff on how it broke so many release-day records with $220 million), and it’s only on a single console, while Black Ops II is on 4 (not including Declassified on Vita). If you think about it, Halo 4 pretty much beat Black Ops II within a day or two of its release (if they were both on all the same consoles)

@15: The money has nothing to do with Elite… Elite is now totally free for everyone. Maybe the Season Pass for the map packs. Actually, it probably has something to do with the Care Package Edition ($180), don’t you think?

38. Deacon

DM – you gonna post your GOTY votes? My anticipation to discover what a real enthusiast such as yourself deems GOTY material is practically killing me.

39. Da Man

#38

Dude brah, I’m no videogame enthusiast. I play mostly Xbla games. Reason I visit this blog is to educate myself with the news and the engrish. Please do correct my grammer, I would really appreciate it.

40. Deacon

So, no opinion? Come on man, you can muster a top three!

41. Erthazus

“http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/call_of_duty_4_modern_warfare
    ^Fact.”

What fact? There is nothing about engine except for the fact that it uses HDR, Dynamic lightning like in any other engine. This link is an ARTIST CV you fucking idiot. You showed me this before.

I showed you http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GtkRadiant

GTK tools are used for developing maps and other stuff using Only Id Tech 3 supported games and that is a fact right there.
    Custom mods for CoD4 for example all made in Gtk for your information, RETARD. Because GtK tools are the only tools that WORKS with that engine and with that game.

“besides Source is based on HL1 one, and that one is based on Q1, you unbelievable fool (and Q1 is based on Doom, and Doom is based on Wolf3d, which in turn was based on Hovertank).”

What this have to do with iD tech 3 and Call Of Duty? Ohh, yeah. Nothing. It’s just your everyday fanboy rant for no reason at all.

42. Da Man

Q3 engine didn’t have anything present in Cod4 onwards, aside from the crosshair math and a server browser. It’s a fact, proven by a link to a real life CoD4 developer.

He states the facts, so why exactly should it matter if he’s an artist?

Cod4 onwards don’t use that level editor made by John Carmack in 90s, it uses one built on top of it’s functionality.

Source engine is a modified GoldSrc, which in turn is a modified Q1 one (which in turn can be traced back to Hovertank). The fact that you keep on babbling your useless bullshit about Cod and refuse to acknowledge HL2 runs on a Q1 engine at the same time proves that you’re mentally ill.

Erthazus, you lack the basics of human communications. You’re insane. You can’t be that dense.

43. Fin

I don’t mind what the engine is cos I enjoying playing it.

44. DrDamn

That comes a couple of places below “Does it have 3D grass?” in the Erazthus assessment of how good a game is though. :)

45. Erthazus

“He states the facts”

what facts? Quote these facts from his CV.

“Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare runs on a proprietary engine, and has features such as true world-dynamic lighting, HDR lighting effects, dynamic shadows and depth of field. ”

Like in any other game of this generation.

what else? What facts?

“aside from the crosshair math and a server browser”

LINK or GTFO.

Also, GTK tools works only with it’s core engine capabilities because GTK is used for TEXTURING and level design tools. http://icculus.org/gtkradiant/

I will repeat for your shitty brain:

Games that supports these tools are: Call Of Duty, Call Of duty 2, Call Of duty 4, Call Of Duty: WaW
    Games that supports it but does not have a map editor (for now) are: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Call of Duty: Black Ops, (!) Call of Duty: Black Ops II (!) to this day.

So a program that recognizes only Id Tech technology is also a lie?

“refuse to acknowledge HL2 runs on a Q1 engine at the same time proves that you’re mentally ill.”

1) I know that Source is based on Q1 engine so you are mentally ill here only. but What this have to do with Id Tech 3 and Call OF duty? I ask you this question second time or you are too mental to answer me this simple question?

46. Da Man

Well, Erthazus the facts that Q3 didn’t have

quote true world-dynamic lighting, HDR lighting effects, dynamic shadows and depth of field

And here, you dishonest, deprived piece of shit I will help you to quote the rest:
    The game also makes use of a dynamic physics engine, which was not implemented in previous Call of Duty titles for Windows.

Thus, as I mentioned Cod4 onwards Q3 engine it is not.

Now.. I will help you, dishonest piece of shit straight from orwellian book, to quote your shitty wikipedia:
    use modified versions
    ^of John carmack’s level editor.

Educate yourself with the process of creating levels. Then come back and babble about texturing.

Source is a modified Q1 engine, it has everything to do with your existence in these comment sections and your lunatic babbling. it’s called double standards and two faced behaviour, fool.

You make things up, in an idiotic attempt to win some imaginary war due to being a soulless loser who need something to hate. If it isn’t CoD it would be something else. Bieber, Angry Birds, far Cry, whatever..

Erthazus, you need psychiatric help.. You are a 26 years or something old student who spends his days playing videogames, can’t name the basics from the Red Book of OpenGL (well, can’t even spell OpenGL properly..) and yet has the stupidity to argue like a wall on acid with anyone.. Only reason you exist is the internet.

Think about it. because no matter how much time you spend tricking yourself, it will all end with a 40 years old mmo addict and many comments on toy blogs. Face the facts and visit a clinic.