Wii U day-one patch to be pre-installed on consoles from early 2013

Tuesday, 4th December 2012 11:33 GMT By Dave Cook

Wii U’s day-one patch is rather hefty, coming in at at around the 1GB according to sources. However, Nintendo of America head Reggie Fils-Aime has confirmed that the update will ship with consoles at some point in early 2013.

Speaking with Gamasutra, Fils-Aime revealed that the patch was a last-minute decision geared towards making the console’s online functionality as smooth as possible.

He stated, “Nintendo developers want to make sure that the very best product is available to consumers. That creates a dynamic where our developers are working on elements until the very last point possible. That’s why the system update was required on Day One – and this is quite similar to what’s happened with other consumer electronic products.”

Fils-Aime added that the firmware update should be bundled with Wii U consoles from early 2013, doing away with the large hour-long download and reducing the space taken up on the console’s hard drive.

VG247 recently tested out its Wii U console, and weighed up the console’s hardware clout, software and online features. Check out our coverage here.

Thanks Eurogamer.

1. ManuOtaku

I bought the premium one yesterday, i found it at a good price at 1800$, compare with the initial 2.200$, and i will wait to do the installation, due to fear of a power outage, i will wait for one, and then i do it, i dont want mine to be bricked, i will be very careful, i didnt bought any game, becuase there was no zombieU, scriblenauts or Mario at the store, i will wait for i price drop and buy them next year.

But good to hear this will be done for future consoles.

2. FabioPal

So early adopters have been f***d.

This is lame.

3. DrDamn

@Dave
    The day one patch is only 1Gb – System takes up 5Gb but the patch is smaller (i.e. it’s not the whole thing).

4. Dave Cook

@3 thanks for that man :)

5. Dragon246

Compressed file?

6. mistermogul

Dave this article is full of fail…

The update is 1Gb not 5Gb. Second, according to other sites Wii U will ship with updated firmware at the beginning of 2013, not sure where you magicked “spring” up from.

It makes me laugh how Nintendo gets a bad rep for whatever it does. Do other consoles, OS’s, tablets, phones etc not have updates?

I mean for fuck sake – I’ve waited a year and a half for the console to release, do you really think I haven’t got the patience to wait an hour for an update before I get online? These articles are ridiculous…

7. Dave Cook

@7 “Dave this article is full of fail…”

Why do you have to be so horrible about it though? Why can’t you just raise your issue with the piece and let me amend it if need be?

I didn’t ‘magic’ up ‘Spring’, Gamasutra hinted at Spring in its report, I’m reporting on what they said.

I don’t understand why readers of game sites have to be so nasty when pointing out things they disagree with. I’m writing these stories FOR you. Help me out a little by pointing out mistakes, things you disagree with in a nice manner please.

Just wears me down every single day.

8. DrDamn

Not sure, either very compressed or an actual patch, doesn’t really matter though it’s not a 5Gb download.

See linked Gamasutra article …
    “Fils-Aime said that only after the patch has been on the market for a few months will Nintendo incorporate it into the firmware that ships with the system.”

A couple of months = Dec and Jan minimum + some time to put it on newly manufactured machines and for those to get to stores = Feb as well. That puts it at some point in March which = Spring.

9. Dave Cook

@8 cheers man. I’ve amended it anyway.

10. Len

@1 Have you gone mad MO? $1800!!! Why buy a console without games at that price, I’m genuinely curious?

And why not import one or get another member here to sort one out for you like I suggested elsewhere?

11. ManuOtaku

#10 Len thanks for the concern, well for me is an investment, because i will save money in the mid-long term, the more i will wait the more it will cost, as for someone getting it overseas, i will need to do the customs clearance here with all the import papers, and here that is troublesome and expensive, this is a corrupt government and all the institutions, therefore it is a big risk, i know it seems crazy, but under the circumstances it is the right choice, besides if i will end up doing it i will need to buy dollars in the black market which are also expensier.

Also here we have a ban from the government for selling videogames, therefore the 400$ i got per year, i expend it on those games and anime is not a solution, i think i made the right choice, considering all the factors involved, even if it doesnt seem that way, but i really appreciate the concern and all the suggestions given, by you and a lot of this site commenters <3, thanks from the bottom of my heart, really

12. FabioPal

@3 “@2
    In what way? They have to download a 1Gb patch, that’s the difference. It’s annoying but why are they f****d?”

Because they don’t, and never will, have the full 8GB available.

This is lame imho.

13. polygem

@Manu…that´s a hefty price tag, you are a VERY dedicated gamer! the patch doesn´t really take that long. it took maybe 40 minutes for me…i think you can risk to download it.
    you should by any means avoid multitasking while downloading yet. that seems to be the problem for some. the thing can multitask like crazy but seems to get sensitve when downloading. i guess they will patch that soon though.
    cool that you have one though! let me know your ninty id or add me: MiqMoq
    i think you will really love the wiiu, i sure do…cannot wait for future first and third party games. to play indy games on the tablet is also great fun. i will play cod mp on the touchpad in bed this weekend -fantastic. miiverse is great too…it really feels like something is missing now when i turn on ps360…i just want a second screen;)
    nsmb u is great coop. i don´t know how old your kids are but man – this is a fun couch coop game for sure.

14. mistermogul

@8 – I stand corrected.

@7 – Sorry Dave I didn’t mean to wear you down. You do a grand job.

15. DrDamn

Nor will people with 8Gb machines in Spring. It will come pre-installed but will still use the same amount of space.

16. ManuOtaku

#13 Yes Poly Iam, for good and bad, i breathe gaming and anime as well :). I will add you but like i said i will plan my connection after a power outage, they are common here, i dont want to take any risks, after that price i need to take the neccesary precautions ;), i will add you as soon as i can, i hope no one took my internet name, or else (shakes fists).

17. polygem

i actually wanted to be “Miike”. plain and simple, but it didn´´t work because you need at least 6 letters…:(
    the good thing is: if your ID should have been taken you can still name your Mii ManuOtaku. all your Miiverse posting will have that name then. if you play cod online though, your ninty id will show up on the playlist.
    take your time. cool that you´re on board.

18. polygem

…and don´t let your wife kill you now. be nice to her for at least a month or so ;)

19. ManuOtaku

#18 Poly she doesnt know yet, i dont know how to tell her, i think i will say i won it as a price or something like that, i dont have the courage ;_; :), and if the id is taken i will change it to manuolderotaku or something like that, i dont want to lose my internet name, thats part of who iam, really.

20. polygem

i understand and hear you. those internetnames/ gamertags can become really connected to you and feel important. i feel the same, though i still haven´t really found mine after all those online years. i changed mine A LOT, even on the 360 where you have to pay for it (still prefer that paymodel. better than just being stuck with it like on ps3 and now prolly on wiiu too)…i kinda like my new one (MiqMoq – Mike Mock or Mick Mock,)
    but for the wii u “Miike” just would´ve been perfect :( didn´t want to go with Miike666 or something like that. sucked because i wanted to take that Miike name since i first heard about the nintendo id, also liked “Wiiggler” a lot but wanted something slightly connected to my real name.
    oh i wish i had a standard name that i could take anywhere too…maybe i will just stick with the MiqMoq but i doubt that. lol.
    i hope ýours will be still available. i think you have a good 50/50 to 60/50 chance. good luck. seriously.

21. CyberMarco

Manu, wouldn’t be cheaper to travel to USA and buy it yourself, I’m sure it would cost much less, plus a trip for your enjoyment!

22. polygem

…regarding your wife: good luck to you! you´ll need it…maybe paint a brighter picture of the pricing, make it a bit cheaper…that´s not exactly lying is it…oh damn, it is. you´re trapped.

23. ManuOtaku

Poly yes for me is part of me, is my name in short (manuel=manu) and that iam an otaku (anime, videogame and heavey metal fan), it really indicates how iam and my tastes. It will be sad if thats the case, i intend to use it the most i can, all my lifetime if i can, which i hope is long, and that i can keep gaming.

regarding my wife LOL, iam very f***** as hell , T_T, she hates me when i game more than her :)

By the way i got yesterday balck ops 2 on the 360, and let me tell you is the first one iam decent at, i think it will be my favorite, i love the maps and the wepons, the pace, really i played i couple of rounds and did good 10/10, 7/3, 7/8, 11/10, is the first time in COD, that playing smart pay off, instead of quick reactions, which are not my strong suit.

I see you playing yesterday, maybe today we can play a couple matches ok.

24. Erthazus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jiFXAooGtgU Forget your toys, guys. Watch this and relax :D 3DMark just posted it.

25. OlderGamer

Manu my WiiU is oldergamer, just add me when you get yours up and running. Good luck, with wife and update. Don’t multi task while updating, I think Mike err Poly hit it right on the head. My update was painless other then being long.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you fully transfer your Wii content to your WiiU, your Wii will basicly be a blank slate. And because WiiU plays Wii games, the value in a blank Wii is minimal. Just saying it migh tbe better to make a new Nintendo ID and not transfer, if you are looking to keep using your wii. Once you do transfer, all of the games are gone from your Wii. They will forever be on the WiiU.

Other then that my only wife problem is that she wants to keep playing ZombiU. I am a lucky man!

26. CyberMarco

@OG, if you transfer all the content from Wii to Wii-U, can’t you re-download the games on the Wii?

27. OlderGamer

You know, CyberMacro, tbh I don’t know. I haven’t tried it.

28. polygem

“Mike err Poly” lol

@Manu. i will trade my copy of 360 blops 2 because i just ordered the wiiu one and i am not a big enough cod fan to justify owning 2 copies…atm i just like playing games on that wiiu thing more ;) and cod in bed sounds cool to me as well.
    will try to be online tonight…if my girlfriend doesn´t force me to play some nsmbu coop.
    i like blops 2 a lot too though. dind´t like mw3 AT ALL but really enjoyed blops 1, cod 4 and that one are my fave cod´s. blops2 seems to be good as well, only touched the mp this far though. while my K/D in blops 1 was 1.5ish…right now in blops 2 it´s a devastating 0,97!!! will have to work on that tonight or it will stay with me forever when i trade it in ;) good thing: i really do not care about that stuff anymore. only thing that cares for me these days: is it fun or is it not.

29. DrDamn

Good luck Manu – I am awaiting a post stating your NNID is DivorcedManu ;D. I’m Skylokki as DrDamn was deemed offensive. Quickest way to get the 247 crew is to add one like OG in the MiiVerse then look at their profile and their friends list then work your way through the recognisable friends :). It’s best to add people through MiiVerse rather than the friendslist as they get a notification.

30. ManuOtaku

#21 Cyber i put it this way, the ticket to get there costs as much as the console, plus the ticket back, the hotel, food, i think i will end up spending more that way, now if i would bought a lot of units to sell them later, that will be worht it, but is just to much money, for the reasons i stated above in this thread.

31. Len

@11 Wow that is real commitment MO, I doff my cap to you. :)

32. Cobra951

@2:

And that surprises you? Waiting for the dust to settle is always a good idea.

I was wondering how long it would take before the big update was rolled into the system ahead of selling it. That was quick. Good news for when I give this system more serious consideration next year.

33. Dave Cook

@14 no worries chief.

34. Gadzooks!

Well I’m happy knowing that when I pick up a WiiU next year I won’t have to patch it. That did sound like a ball-ache.

35. zinc

@Gadzooks, If you don’t mind me asking, what swung your decision to buy the WiiU? You had posted some reservations previously.

36. OlderGamer

@zinc

He prolly played one, that is what does it for most people. Or maybe just wants to wait till more games come out.

37. Gadzooks!

@zinc

I don’t mind you asking at all!

I still have a lot of reservations. The online service and OS are currently still lacking in many ways, and launch software is hugely underwhelming (for me).

However, the potential of the controller has been evident since it was revealed. It’s obvious that there will be games on the WiiU that aren’t possible on other systems, and I like variety and novelty in my gaming.

I did spend an evening with friends on the WiiU. It works. The whole concept works brilliantly, but I do need some more appealing games to be released. I’m pretty confident those games will turn up soon.

I did like ZombiU though.

38. zinc

@Gadzooks, Would you say the WiiU has the same “partytime gaming” attraction, that the Wii had?

And by that, I mean, you & a group playing the console on the same tv. Something that the PS3 & 360 lack.

39. polygem

@zinc: totally. nsmb same room coop is a blast. nintendoland is as well. i am sure it will be even better for same room coop party stuff than wii. you can still use the wiimotes AND the touchpad…this gives developers a lot of stuff to play with. i really do think we will see some innovative stuff in the near future.

40. Gadzooks!

@zinc

I do almost as much couch-based party gaming as single player stuff. There’s no shortage of that kind of game on 360.

Wii was great at party games though. Boom blox absolutely rocked, one of my favourite games this gen. I’m sure WiiU will be just as good, if not better.

One thing I really liked was the ease with which players could take turns in Nintendoland. Just a tap of the gamepad to swap profiles.

Slick!