PS3 number one overall for Netflix viewing, says Hastings

Tuesday, 4th December 2012 16:14 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Netflix has announced PS3 as its largest TV-connected platform in terms of viewing.and at times it even surpassed the PC in hours of Netflix viewing. “[It's our] No. 1 platform overall,” said Netflix CEO Reed Hastings. “PS3 is a natural fit for Netflix in terms of developing and first deploying our most advanced features. We can transparently update our application with new features on a daily basis, and through the free PlayStation Network, people around the world can sign up for Netflix directly from their PS3.” The console is also currently the only platform to experience a new voice user interface called “Max” that’s currently being tested.Netflix is also available on Vita.

1. Gadzooks!

I presume the usual asshats will troll Sony for not focussing on games, in exactly the same way they would troll MS if they were mentioned here?

2. Cobra951

@1:

It seems to me that you immediately saw that weakness yourself, and you’re projecting it on to “asshats” (which presumably must include me). Sure, the obvious response to the article is “I can get a much cheaper Netflix set-top box than a PS3″. I suspect even disillusioned PS3 owners may have thought of that one.

3. NiceFellow

@1 I wouldn’t be so sure. I would expect more “so much for 360 owning media in the home” type action.

Being serious about that point it is a little surprising as I thought Netflix was US centric so it’s not great for MS claims on being the home for entertainment that a device with a smaller install base actually has more use than theirs.

The split geographic markets have seriously made this one wacky console gen that’s for sure.

4. Gadzooks!

#2

Not entirely sure what you mean there, sorry.

My point was that even though MS publish as many games as Sony, and sell a shitload more than them, idiots keep saying MS’ focus is not on gaming but on apps like Netflix, which is very obviously bullshit.

I want those mewing hypocrites to berate Sony now. They won’t, of course, because they are hypocrites.

5. Gadzooks!

#3

Who knows… Maybe those 360 owners are too busy playing games to watch Netflix? ;)

I just don’t get the whole ‘If it has Netflix it aint a games machine’ bullshit that people spout.

6. Erthazus

Yeah, Gadzooks, More at eleven. That’s why they had exclusivity deal with Netflix before. *rolls eyes*

“MS publish as many games as Sony”

Lol. Okay man, keep up kissing your Xbox.

7. Gadzooks!

#6

List them. Include XBL/PSN.

8. Gekidami

Where is my violin, you know, you really small one. I need to play Gad the saddest song i know.

But seriously, he’s barking up the wrong tree, unlike the MS story, here Sony arent claiming that more people use their system to watch movies and whatnot then play games, Netflix is just saying more people use it on PS3 then they do other systems, but dont expect him to understand that fact, he’s a bit of a simpleton.
    And NiceFellow is right, this just show as massive failing on MS’ behalf, they want to own the home media space but they’re clearly failing.

lol It was your claim to start with, you list them.

9. zinc

@Gadzooks, Surely your better than this? Behaving in exactly the same way as those you accuse of ass-hatery, makes you a ass-hat too surely?

And no I’m not calling you Shirley :-P

On topic, I’ve used both Lovefilm & Netflix on my PS3 & found Netflix to be a better service. It may not have the same quantity of films, but has by far more tv series. Much better value imo & better quality viewing.

10. Mike W

I thought it would be xbox that takes this reward hands down. That’s how I got into purchasing Netflix in the first place was thru my gold account (when I had it).

Oh well….who cares, this is nothing to defend or fight about it.

Yeah I agree, I see your point. It’s the price of the gold I’ll tell you. ;)

11. Mike W

@Gadzooks

You’re contradicting yourself pretty hard bro. Just let it go. This is nothing to get your feathers in a bunch.

12. OlderGamer

“Netflix is also available on Vita”

Netflix is also available on everything. From tvs to phones, to tablets, to DVDplayers, to PC/laptop, to 3DS and other consoles. I bet my next fridge comes with Netflix installed.

13. _LarZen_

Have been using the PS3 and starting movies etc with the iPad and it is a cool and easy way to browse the selection.

But I got a WiiU a few days ago and that is just as good if not better. I can turn on the tv and hifi receiver with the WiiU pad and pick movies just like with the iPad for on the PS3.

But now I dont have to turn on my tv or hifi receiver with other Remotes, I dont have to turn on the PS3 and start Netflix with the PS3 Controller.

I just pick up 1 Device and im ready to go…kinda cool :)

14. Mike W

Lmao…

You will never have to leave your kitchen. ;)

15. zinc

@13, This may sound crass… But all I can think, is how great it would be to be able to take the WiiU pad to the loo…

Gaming on the go, even when you have to go :-D

16. Erthazus

@12, Woohoo. Netflix in my fridge. Amazing. I hope it comes with decent LED screen and at least with 720p image.

17. NiceFellow

@10 Ah Gold! Of course forgot about that – Silver has no access to Netflix. The true install base for Netflix in US might be fairly even or even slightly more on PS3.

This makes sense then really.

18. Cobra951

@4:

Wait, what? How do you reconcile that comment with what you said in #1? Now I’m confused. But regardless of whom you’re defending, it pains me to see any game console relegated to the mundane role of a TV set-top box. Using them as such is fine, but to push that functionality anywhere near as much as games would be tragic. No one needs a PS3 or an Xbox for that. Roku has it covered with a smaller footprint and a much lower price. Hell, even TVs have it built-in anymore, and I think OG is right about future kitchen appliances too.

19. _LarZen_

@15 Hehe, wel you can probably take it to the loo as long as it’s not to far away.

Playing Black Ops 2 while taking a dump could be something Worth trying… :P

20. zinc

@19… There are too many jokes there about Blops 2 & toilets!!

Though it would be ironic, if you blocked your loo, whilst playing Mario :-)

21. deathm00n

@20 You would shit bricks

22. Gadzooks!

#18

I said the same thing in posts 1 and 4: That it’s stupid to think that apps like Netflix and browsers in any way detract from gaming on consoles. They don’t. Gaming, as in game sales and time spent gaming is higher than ever before.

People like to say MS arent focussed on gaming but Sony and Nintendo are, but ALL the consoles have TV, movie and browser apps on them.

And for the record: I like Netflix, whatever device it’s viewed on.

23. Ireland Michael

The PS3 version of Netflix has always been my least favourite for me. For whatever reason, I always get the poorest video quality through that one,

I recently migrated over to Windows 8 on my PC. I installed the Metro Netflix app, and it’s quickly become my go-to version for the service. It’s the fastest loading and most easily searchable version I’ve used, and it sure as hell beats having to go through a browser.

24. zinc

^ Well obviously you are a MS troll!! The Sony version is best because of the awesome cell power!!

:-D

25. Ireland Michael

@24 Lawl.

26. Dragon246

1 likes put a positive spin on anything xbox, just doesn’t work here. Everybody expected xbox to win, if it doesn’t, then it looks bad on them since more people use entertainment apps on xbox than playing games, as said by ms themselves.
    Also about published games, 1 is again talking shit. MS FORCEES indies to find pubs, essentially eating into their profits by forcing a middleman. As a result, it ends up publishing a lot of xbl games. Sony allows self publication to indies, an obviously better offer to them.
    Maybe check the no. of xbl vs. psn exclusives this year?

27. Gadzooks!

#26

This is waaaay above your level of comprehension kid.

28. PEYJ

Is it available on the UK Vita? Cause it’s not on the Nordic Vita. Same question goes for the YouTube app – available in the UK???

29. Clupula

As soon as I saw the headline, my first thought was, “Someone’s going to use this to say that people only buy the PS3 to watch movies.”

Honestly, I wasn’t even aware there was a competition over who watches Netflix the most since, as was said above, it is available on everything. I personally don’t even think it’s the best movie service on the PS3, nevermind in general.

30. polygem

haha all the sony fans united here…classic…comedy…again.
    ireland michael is an xbot troll now. have i missed something here? fantastic stuff.
    gadzooks, why do you even bother? your first post was spot on. i tried to be polite with this bunch but -just forget it – it´s useless. “asshats” nails it, no need to go further than that.

31. DSB

I wonder if they’re counting the DVD/Bluray players that also stream Netflix. They seem to use the same OS as the PS3.

We have one of those, it’s slow as hell, but it’s nice to have an inexpensive machine for Netflix and Amazon Instant Video.

32. PEYJ

@DSB

Do you own a PS3? I’m asking to hear if you would know anything about my (28) question, in case you have a PS3 that is.

33. Ireland Michael

@30 It’s the flavour of the month.

If you criticize Sony, you’re an Xbot. If you support Nintendo, you’re part of the NDF. If you don’t support PC gaming, you’re a casual scrub.

Anyone whose point starts off with lolsonyfans or xbot remarks or anything like that is living in their own deluded bubble of personal isolation, and can’t see beyond their own nose. No format is better or worse than the other.

34. polygem

“No format is better or worse than the other”

I sign this. Today. Officially.

I do have personal preferences, that´s for sure – and i will keep pointing those out here, because that´s what a videogame related news page with a comment section is there for…but that quote up there is the basic truth of all this.

35. Christopher Jack

“No format is better or worse than the other.” No one is that mutual. Of course better is often subjective but it’s more often than not black & white that one machines handles *insert object or service* better than another.

In the end, all that really matters is whether or not it effects you, if it does not, then jog on & at least show some mutual respect to those who it does effect by being quite or at the absolute least not disrespectful, like claiming owners & users of a certain machine or service are idiots. -(not aimed directly at you, just making a point).

@30, You seem to use a lot of plurals but I’ve only seen 1 Sony fan, the very one you keep arguing with. Both Gadzooks & yourself only came in here with the intention on attacking a certain demographic of gamers. Whether or not they had started it is irrelevant, you’re all as bad as each other.

36. Ireland Michael

@35 Yes, subjectively speaking one is going to be more preferable to a particular personal.

For instance, I play multiplatform multiplayer titles almost exclusively on my 360 simply because that’s what most of my friends play those games on as well, and I prefer to play with people I know rather than strangers.

I think most of the service apps on the PS3 are a bit shite in their execution, but that opinion doesn’t change the fact that my favourite games of the past two generations of hardware are almost all PlayStation exclusive titles.

That doesn’t make it “worse” or “better” than any of the other formats though. I was talking purely objectively in my post. Preferences should never be confused with objective opinion, and it’s perfectly easy for someone to seperate the two if they bother to try.

And *objectively* speaking, none of them are better or worse than the other. Every format has tonnes of great games, and it all comes down to genre preferences or the type of experience you’re looking for. I will never for the life of my understand why someone would insult someone else purely because of the name of the console under the screen.

I hate to quote such an utterly pretentious movie as Fight Club, but… you’re not your fucking Xbox. The hardware someone owns doesn’t bloody define them. Criticising anyone based on the hardware they use is shallow, pedantic and juvenile.

37. Christopher Jack

@36, Even objectively one thing’s normally better than another, my point is that it doesn’t matter. Defending or attacking a weakness or strength of a product or service is fucking pathetic unless you’re doing a review. The Xbox 360 is generally better at 3rd party games, it’s true. There are of course several exceptions so you’d be lying if you used a definitive statement which is why I tend to avoid them but absolute strengths & weaknesses do exist. In the end, it’s pointless to fight over & especially pathetic to attack the users of those products or services- I mean for fuck’s sake, we’re not politicians.

38. DrDamn

@PEYJ
    YouTube is available on Vita in the UK, don’t think Netflix is though.

I use Netflix a fair bit. Have a PS3, 360 and now a WiiU. Have been mainly using on the PS3 because my launch unit is a lot quieter than my falcon 360, if I had a slim 360 it would be different. Having said that I’ll switch to WiiU for Netflix from now on. The use of the second screen is a nice bonus.

39. PEYJ

@ DrDamn

Thanks, mate. I live in Denmark and that’s apparently one of the countries that YouTube doesn’t support (what the hell that ever means), so we don’t have the app. As for Netflix it seems as if only the US have that one (big surprise…).

40. Da Man

Ah, the predictable evening comment section mindfakery feat deprived ones.

Classic.

So anyway, not surprising. I’m wiling to bet it’s far from number one gaming machine though…

41. zinc

@30, Ahem, I was joking when I called Ireland a Xbot… You Ninty loving fanboy!

P.S. I’m joking :-P

42. Christopher Jack

@40, What’s your point?

43. Ireland Michael

@42 He doesn’t have one. He’s just trying to stir shit. Ignore him.

44. Christopher Jack

@43, I am aware, I’m just curious as to why he’s trying to stir shit, mundane life?

45. Ireland Michael

@44 Probably.

46. Da Man

My point is actually far from stirring shit (that’s what Lolconner has been successfully doing here for at least five posts).

47. Da Man

Oooh sorry, I’m ignoring him.

I might quote that shitty videogame for mentally inferior people now since in all fairness I really don’t know anything better myself. Or I might not. It depends.

So anyway,

48. polygem

@zinc:

“@30, Ahem, I was joking when I called Ireland a Xbot… You Ninty loving fanboy!

P.S. I’m joking ”

HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA….GOOD ONE!

49. TD_Monstrous69

Well this is a mild suprise. Then again, I have seen a lot of my PSN friends using Netflix more lately, so….. OK, I get that I can’t really equate the two, but none the less, still pretty suprising, considering how much of a head-start Microsoft has had with multimedia content, especially with Netflix. I mean doesn’t anyone remember the day where if you wanted Netflix on your PS3, you needed a Netflix Blu-Ray disc in order to use it due to an exclusive licensing agreement with MS?

50. Christopher Jack

Why do you need a gold subscription to access another subscription service on the Xbox 360? I mean even the most basic free services requires it. That’s certainly one area that Sony’s better in, you don’t need PS+ for any other service on the PS3- afaik. Too bad that neither option is going to provide me any access to half of these large services like Netflix & Hulu+.

Frankly, I think we’re in desperate need for a global media ratings board, most content shouldn’t need to be localized for certain countries when the only difference is a stupid stamp of approval. I understand that it’ll be a long process to implement but if Europe can combine their rating boards, so can the rest of the modern world.

Other than that, I don’t see why a piece of content on the internet should be restricted by region & even worst, when they offer different prices for different regions, it’s fucking ridiculous for this modern world.