Planetside 2 developers SOE sure are an optimistic bunch aren’t they? Studio president John Smedley has outlined his grand plan for the long future of the MMOFPS, including new continents and much, much more. Check out his theories below.
Over on Smedley’s blog, he explained, “We have games that have run for over 13 years, so when we’re making Planetside 2 we aren’t looking at what it’s like in 2012. We’re thinking about a game we plan to have running in 2025.
“We have a 3 year plan. That’s really big. We plan on putting that out to the users at some point in the near future. This isn’t some “vision” we plan on imparting on our players. It’s our thoughts on what we think would be cool.
“We will listen to our users feedback and make changes based on that feedback. We think we have some killer ideas but our players have pretty good ones too! I want to be super clear here – these are just some of the ideas. The team has a ton.”
Smedley then listed the team’s ideas:
- Player Owned bases – we plan on releasing continents that are empty or partially empty where players can build their own bases. These are open world bases so others will be able to attack them. We’re also planning on having these continents heavily resource based with new resource types that will be very rare..and lots of cool new stuff that can be built out of these new resources.
- Harvestable resources – imagine SC II style resource harvesting with physical vehicles doing the mining or the harvesting.
- Water between continents – seamlessly – this is really hard tech, but our goal is to make the whole planet seamless and allow water based vehicles.
- Lots more vehicles and weapons – just what it sounds like. Many of these will take very rare resources to make.
- NPC enemies – I don’t want to call this PVE. That’s not exactly what we have in mind. More like a global invasion that goes after everybody. This isn’t a bunch of quest givers saying “go kill 10 rats” – this is bad ass aliens that want to gut you.
- NPC armies – imagine as the commander of a base sending an NPC army towards another base MOBA style except it’s in the middle of the Planetside 2. This isn’t another game mode. It’s all part of the same game.
- Esports support – we plan on doing this pretty soon after launch. We plan on making this a big big thing and putting a lot of our resources behind it.
- Mac version (soon after launch).
So it’s no secret that Smedley and SOE are playing a long game with Planetside 2. Have you been playing it? Can it sustain for three more years, let alone the 13 Smedley is aiming for? Let us know below.
Sometimes we include links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.