GAME stores selling Steam wallets in bid to capture PC market

Friday, 30th November 2012 10:25 GMT By Dave Cook

Game stores are to begin selling Steam wallets in-store as part of a charge for the PC market. Does mixing digital currency and physical retail stores make sense? Find out below.

The chain will sell Steam wallet vouchers in £5, £10, £15 and £20 denominations, which are then added to your account using a one-time code. 200 Game stores will feature tablets that display the full Steam catalogue for browsing in store. It follows a similar scheme set up in Gamestop, which has supposedly proven popular.

Game CEO Martyn Gibss said of the move, “This is the latest initiative offering unrivalled value, range and ease of obtaining digital content for our UK gaming community.

“We are delighted to be partnering with Steam as we look to grow our PC gaming communities together. The partnership forms a significant part of our increased offering for any PC gamer which will also include a full digital catalogue available on tablets in store to browse and new ways to pay for digital downloads, making the process easier and more secure than ever.”

What do you make of the move? Are Steam’s payment options convenient enough without the need for physical wallet codes? Let us know below.

Thanks GI.Biz.

1. friendlydave

I can see this being useful for gifts from family but that’s about it. Might pick one up from a store if I’m in there buying something…oh wait we don’t have a GAME store anymore. Nevermind.

2. SplatteredHouse

I don’t see what Steam has to gain from this, really. It comes on the back of an announced deal with IGN last week, too. I would assume that since GAME figured out that they couldn’t fight Steam (more likely, that little they did would alter the affect that Steam sales have on their bottom line), then they may as well get a piece of the royalties from physical codes sales.

I thought the Metaboli thing was done, which might explain a lot, but that’s still active too, albeit running from it’s own portal (not referenced on their main site), in download purchase and a rental service variety…

3. bpcgos

I hope there is a store that sold Steam Wallet in my country! Credit card are a rarity here, even if we could afford it, it still rejected by many overseas retailer that ban our country due to fraud in the past.

4. roadkill

@3 Where are you from?

5. GrimRita

GAME kicked the PC gamer out of their stores so they can stick it where the sun doesn’t shine. Useful for Christmas shoppers buying presents but I guess GAME need something to fill in those empty shelves.

6. Kabby

I was about to type exactly what GrimRita has posted.