God of War film may have “dramatic” story changes

Thursday, 29th November 2012 00:24 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Sony has given God of War scriptwriters Patrick Melton and Marcus Dunstan the green light to rewrite Kratos’s story if necessary.

Speaking with Shock Till You Drop, the pair said Sony is particularly keen to ensure the movie isn’t just a clone of Clash of the Titans and Immortals.

“Those movies can inform the God of War to step in a more bold direction. Not to join those ranks, but to stand head and shoulders apart like other reinventions have done within that genre. The satisfying element is to look at those movies as a commentary on the genre and now say something different,” Dunstan said.

Doing say may also mean stepping away from the canon of the games, though.

“Sony games, you think they’d be sacred about the origin story and all of that, but they were encouraging us to make it different from those movies and if that means going in dramatic shifts, they were cool of it. And they’re involved,” Melton added.

The God of war movie is said to be an origins story, a little like Batman Begins.

Thanks, Polygon.

1. Fin

Seriously, all I need to know is whether JASON STATHAM will be playing Kratos.

He’s the only man for the job really.

2. TD_Monstrous69

@1 I actually agree with you on that, but reading this doesn’t exactly get my hopes up for a good God of War movie.

3. Dragon246

I think GOW is more suited for an CGI film like Final Fantasy films or Pixar ones. Live action would feel odd to me. Also the humongous scale of GOW games can best decipted in a CGI movie imo. A film along the lines of FF Advent Children would be awesome!

4. freedoms_stain

Guaranteed they fire in a romance between Kratos and Athena, throw in the son of Zeus twist in at the end and then have Kratos kill Zeus right there.

If they want a concise story that makes a decent film they should go for a one shot on this and not hold anything back to milk out sequels if the first film does reasonably well.

5. Clupula

Imagine that. A videogame movie dramatically changing the storyline for the film adaptation, because, you know, that has always worked so well in every single other videogame movie before it.

6. themadjock

@1 and 2. Let’s not overlook Tom Hardy please but JS would do although he’s more suited to kung fu/modern type movies

7. YoungZer0

Fuck ‘em. Seriously, what’s the point of using an IP if you’re going to change everything about it? Has anyone seen what they did to ‘All You Need Is Kill’? Atrocious.

8. Mike W

They’re going to fuck it up. Hollywood is run by a bunch retarded idiots. I don’t think any other organization in the world has a “fucked up” track record than them.

The thing that upset me the most is that Hollywood has the script already written for them for most adaptions from games to movies. I remembered playing the first Resident Evil game and thinking to myself, “woah, this would be a great movie, if they could get good actors to play the parts.”

But no, what did the brain-deads do, they made the worst movie I ever seen.

9. The Auracle

I’m not confident that the film will be good. If anything, the story will be ruined because… Hollywood.

That being said, the least they can do is cast Djimon Honsou as Kratos. No one else will do.