Black Ops 2: Treyarch wants your opinion on improving Hardcore playlists

Thursday, 29th November 2012 09:41 GMT By Dave Cook

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 is perhaps the hardest multiplayer offering from the series to date, and this could explain the slow uptake of Hardcore playlists – which, if you’re unaware – increases damage and removes the HUD entirely. Treyarch’s David Vonderhaar wants your hlp in improving Hardcore play. Find out what he wants below.

In a thread over at the official Black Ops 2 forum, Vonderhaar addressed complaints that there were not enough Hardcore playlists in the game, citing a lack of players as the reason for the scaled-down focus.

He added, “I am taking feedback as we think about how to provide more hardcore game modes as Public Playlists without fragmenting the small Hardcore community or matchmaking.”

Vonderhaar stated that if Hardcore playlists were spread too thing – in others words, making a Hardcore version of each game type – then matchmaking would suffer across all formats.

“The problem here is that not every game mode playable in a hardcore variant has sufficient enough traffic to warrant having it’s own playlist,” he continued, “Hardcore Free-For-All, for example, has a very low traffic count. This makes Matchmaking in that playlist more difficult.”

He also listed – from most popular to least popular – the current state of Hardcore playlists:

• 1. Hardcore TDM (by a large margin)
  • 2. Hardcore CTF
  • 3. Hardcore Search
  • 4. Hardcore FFA

“Hardcore is not a game mode,” Vonderhaar stressed, “It’s a variant on the game rules. One that is popular with a very passionate, but very small crowd of people. Keeping the 80,000 (or so, across 2 platforms) of you together and able to play together has to be a priority over any specific variant.”

Would you like to see a Hardcore playlist added for each game type, or are you not that bothered this year? Let us know below.

1. _LarZen_

Hardcore is the only way to play, normal mode is for children.

2. Dave Cook

@1 Disagree. The core game type is harder than all CoDs so far in my opinion. I think Core is useful for learning the ropes.

You shouldn’t poke fun at people because of their gaming skill. It’s childish.

3. _LarZen_

@2 it’s called humor Dave Cook. Look it up here if you want http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humour

Good humor? Probably not, but it’s my humor.

I find the core experience to be just ridiculous with the number of hits you need to take down a player (if you dont head shoot that is). The thrill in hardcore with 1 shoot 1 kill takes the game up to a whole new level.

I know around 10 people in RL that play COD and everyone just hates the core experience. We must be some kind of rejects up here in this little town…AND with bad humor to topp it all! ;)

4. G1GAHURTZ

^ One shot, one kill, eh?

You obviously don’t play any of the core game types at all if you think that people never get one-shotted.

Besides, hardcore is for campers and people who like drinking a cup of tea whilst playing a match…

5. stretch215

“Hardcore is for campers” lol. Sure, some people may camp but they get destroyed because of it (at least when i play). Besides, I’d rather deal with campers than have to deal with hit markers. Some people can’t handle it though. I guess #4 is one of them.

6. Dave Cook

Campers are so easy to kill if you know how.

7. stretch215

@6 exactly. The maps are designed to make campers quite vulnerable.

8. stretch215

On topic: I’d like to see hardcore domination and headquarters make a return, as well as ricochet for all hardcore playlists.

9. DrDamn

I noticed that too. Everywhere seems to have at least two or three entries/exits. I’d like some bigger maps mind – they all feel a bit too cramped and similar in structure (kind of round/oval shaped).

10. G1GAHURTZ

I don’t have a problem dealing with campers.

They just bore me hugely, that’s all.

They slow the game down and take half of the fun out of it.

11. cyberrblob

All gamtypes should be available in hardcore, crazy that they are not tbh

12. stretch215

There aren’t a ton of campers in the regular modes? News to me.

13. G1GAHURTZ

^ There are, but there are much, much less.

The one shot, one kill aspect of the hardcore modes, along with the lack of an always on mini-map and killcams, mean that the advantage is with those who do camp.

The mode in itself encourages camping.

14. Diamondagger

Hardcore mode is the way that i always want to play and same with a lot of my friends online. But i also love the more objective game types. In all of the other games they usually end up putting a mosh pit mode into the hardcore playlist. This is awesome because it actually gives all the players a chance to vote for thier favorite gametype. Although i like headquarters, Dom and even Sab every once in a while this would let the hardcore players get into the game types that they enjoy playing while in the hardcoe made which we love. Therefore the matchmaking would not be messed up. :) TY Treyarch if u read my message!

15. K1LL 4 LESS

I’d like to see Domination and headquarters. Someone else said to bring back ricochet, don’t theres nothing else that i hate more then when one of my kill streaks kills a team mate by accident and i have to suffer for it.

16. K1LL 4 LESS

Also, give us back Nuketown 24/7. Its the most popular thing you have in multiplayer and you limit us to only playing it during double xp weekends. I usually dont get to play on the weekends due to work so i miss out anyways. Lets have Nuketown available all the time. Plus a hardcore nuketown 24/7 would also be good.

17. xsDEATHMETALsx

Please bring back hc kc and maybe even a mosh pit. Regular core is not for me and I prefer objective over free for all and team death match. Also I’m a huge fan of instant respawns

18. jgg11ps3

hows about just give the hardcore players the same game modes as they give core players see i know there are dom only players that want the hc dom that will go from core to hard core on both ps3and 360 for them to only give hc players cf tdm ffa and sad is retarted i cant stand core but will play dom nonstop so all and all teryarchs bo2 sucks compared to infinity wards mw3 intell all game modes are open to core and hardcore regardles the number of players in the two

19. xsDEATHMETALsx

Bottom line if hc objectives aren’t added soon I’m trading this piece of crap in and never spending another 120 buck ON any COD game ever again. You know because 60 buck isn’t good enough anymore you gotta keeping sucking the money out of my wallet every year with crappy map packs or now “elite” memberships (btw genius scam) with some laggy hacked up game that promises to be soooooooo great and then I can’t even get some game modes for my hardcore peeps and myself. It’s bull*#% I have my gun getting four or five hit markers on a guys back and he turns around and shoots me once and I’m dead. I think core is the worst playlist for any game mode period. They say hc is for campers well what’s their excuse for corner camping in core? Oh wait it DOESN’T MATTER everyone’s going to camp no matter what game mode or playlist. please for the love of unholiness give us hard working people the pleasure of killing gamer tags across the globe with three or four hit markers instead of ten. \m/

20. sabretoothree

hardcore is the only way to go for me – hitmarkers suck especially when no body armor made by the lowest bidder could stop 7.62mm FMJ burst let alone half a mag ! & please bring parody to the playlists I feel like you are punishing me for choosing HC. & while I’m griping… IF YOU DON’T GIVE THE CHOICE OF MAKING A SPURTING PENIS OR TITS THEN THE PARENTS OF AN 8 YROLD WON’T BITCH (THEY SHOULDN’T BE PLAYING ANYWAY) $120.00 – FIRST AMENDMENT – ADULT – COMMON SENSE – etcetera etcetera etcetera

21. sabretoothree

& it’s not camping it’s holding down a position (while I – smoke – drink – play w/ myself )

22. OlderGamer

CoD is one of those games where it sems that a lot of folks like to bitch about it. Thing is even more, untold millions more buy it and love it just the way it is.

But if you don’t like campers, don’t play CoD. Every OMP FPS is going to have those guys that think they can outsmart you by waiting like queen spider while you get caught in her web(down the sights of a berrel). But in CoD camping has not only become an acceptable strategy but a proven winning one as well.

What stops campers?

Called bigger maps. Destructable buildings. Large teams. And Tanks(vehicles). Objective focused gameplay helps too. It is called Battlefield. Don’t hate, a good part of what I just said is toataly true. Do you have any idea how many times I have droped mortor strikes on snipers in BF over the years? Or how many buildings I took apart with a tank because two guys wanted to camp that spot(or use it as spawn beacon)?

Camping happens, in most games like CoD and BF. But if your fed up with it, I think maybe you just need to take a step back and look at what your really upset with. What is causing players to camp? the fact is it works, and in CoD I can’t see any dev doing anything about it anytime soon. In other words hate the game, not the player(s). If camping didn’t yield results, players wouldn’t do it.

23. zinc

I’m having zero problem with campers in BLOPS 2. Trouble is some people can’t get it into their heads, that running straight back to the spot they just got killed is a bad idea.

And if your having problem with lag, just choose “best connection” for your game search preference.

If you prefer long walks in the countryside and random enemy encounters, choose battlefield.

24. DSB

I don’t have a problem with campers, they’re pretty much free kills.

Moving targets are a lot more difficult.

25. jgg11ps3

so i want to know dose treyarch actual read this $#it or just want us to thank that they care what we thank its ok cuz without more hc modes then this is the last time i buy a treyarch made game just saying

26. jamiem1996

Hardcore is for SWEATY MLG TRYHARDS, and btw hardcore is easy i usually get most kills in-game on it whilst using a sniper. JS

27. G1GAHURTZ

The problem with campers:

They’re not difficult to kill. They don’t win against me/my clan.

However, camping is anti-social.

If I sit at the back of the map, aiming down sight, and you sit at the back of the map, aiming down sight, who will win?

No one.

It doesn’t matter what game type. TDM, FFA, Dom, CTF, etc. Imagine if nobody moved, and everyone camped. Sitting in a corner, waiting for someone to walk past.

The counter will go down to zero, every single time, and it will be a draw, every single time.

So what’s the point in playing, if you’re playing the game in a way that, if everyone else did what you did, you would stop playing through boredom?

It has absolutely nothing to do with not knowing how to beat them. Their tactic isn’t successful against anyone half decent.

The point is that the game would be a lot more fun if they either didn’t camp, or simply didn’t play at all.

28. xsDEATHMETALsx

Thank you for the hc kc.

29. nwhaley

Kill confirmed is ok but when is hardcore domination or hardcore headquarters going to be added. It’s seems we can only get 4 modes which is ridiculous because black ops had more. My clan and a lot others love objective domination and headquarters. Will either be added? Why do we have to play what treyarch thinks we want to play? Why can’t as a customer pick which mode we want? This game is such a disappointment.

30. dezzness

I refuse to play this game until they add hardcore domination..other than that this game is garbage.

31. nwhaley

Where’s domination and hardcore headquarters!!!!! Why lie and say this will be the game where hardcore is prominate. 4 modes and no hardcore domination!!! I will definitely be taking this game back I’d they don’t put these modes on. This has hit to be the worst COD because of the lack of options! Why Iis combat training online and league play? Terrible decision making and I’m looking forward to other games I can trade in this one for and I have love every COD game since COD 4. I’m do disappointed.

32. tootnboot420

Black ops 2 = FAIL! Battlefield 3 beats black ops 2 in every way. In black ops 2 the pistols are stronger than most the automatic weapons (thats bull s**t). Stabbing is RIDICULOUS! I will be standing right next to someone yet my guy stabs the air in front of him instead of the guy. But other times someone a guy that is 10 feet away will be able to slide 10 feet like he was sub-zero and stab me. The Spawning is retarded, half the time you get killed by a hunter killer drone or lightning strike 5 seconds after you spawn. The maps are tiny and it feels like your in an arena more than a war. Climbing over things is slow as hell and makes you think your an old geezer. In a real battle you would be diving over that shit like your life depended on it, not Only reason I am keeping black ops 2 is for zombies

33. fredafc

Campers in hardcore DOM is good for the game, it forces you to play more tactics rather than charging from flag to flag if no one is protecting the flags it can become a merry go round of losing and gaining flags

34. G1GAHURTZ

There’s nothing wrong with playing tactically, if somewhere in your tactic is the intention to take enough risk that you may actually win the game through your own skill/ability.

If a team have a strategy that involves set roles, where some are capturing, and some are covering, then that’s not camping.

Real camping is basically where you’re not prepared to take any risk, whatsoever. In other words, a person who’s happier to let the timer reach zero, and have no kills, rather than move from his ‘place of safety’.

It can be done by individuals and teams, and like I said above, if everybody played like that, nobody would get any kills/get any objectives, and there would be no point in playing at all.

35. stretch215

Did someone just bring up battlefield as the answer to camping? The same game where assholes take a helicopter to the top of a skyscraper and try to snipe for the whole 40 minute game( accumulating about 4 kills and successfully NOT helping the team)? Or how about when the same idiots never leave the deployment while employing the above strategy? All shooters will have campers, period. Better go back to playing mario, old man.

36. OlderGamer

I wasn’t complaning or defending Stretch. Just pointing out that the games flow differently. And if people(wasn’t me btw, learn to read) don’t like the camping in CoD, I suggested they play something else.

Playing an objective based game mode in a shooter is always best. Like GHZ pointed out covering your team mate as they work for a cap point or something is always better then pure camping for the sake of camping. Stretegy > chessing.

All games have chesse players. Esp when it comes to shooters, no offense to anyone intened, but it does tend to draw a certian type of player. But in truth those certian types of players always look for the “competitive advantage” in any game they play. You are never going to get rid of that.

However in BF that guy that tries to camp at the top of the radio tower or skyscraper, can be sniped, mortered, or shot by plane, tanke or choper. He can’t hide, in a fully defendable position, and pick people off. He is out in the open and can easily be killed.

And that was my point. BF doesn’t reward camping. And Camping is highly and easily countered. Larger team sizes help too. If you have 4 players per team, and one of them is a dumb ass your prolly going to lose. If you have 12 players on your team and some guy thinks he can snipe his way to victory there are still 11 other people to rely on. And really even 12 v 12 is low, play on a PC(or MAG). Hopefully next gen we can see 50 v 50 type numbers.

Map sizes matter. In Rush, for example, the map focus moves. What is a great sniping potion in one stage of the game is completly useless during the next. Once the coms stations get taken out, the map opens up new coms and new areas and the fight moves out of snipe range(from the spots in the first stage). Forcing players to move.

All I am sugesting, and I stand by it. BF goes out of its way to take the game out of campers hands. CoD doesn’t do that. But if all you can see Stretch is BF > CoD, then whatever.

I do play shooters from time to time. I enjoy Mag, BF, Halo(on occasion), Monday Night Combat, etc. But mostly when I want multi player combat I play stuff like World Of Warcraft, Rift, Guild Wars 2 and M59. Because those games allow for a wide diverse range of play styles. They all have objectives. They have more depth then you are ever going to find in a OMP FPS game. So if your still on about campers(my games has them, my game is so good it doesn’t, etc) that is upto you. I got tired of the over all package and formula of Console shooters. So I moved on. Once in awhile with friends I jump in and give it a go. But truth be told it gets old fast.

37. G1GAHURTZ

How would you know?

Have you even played BO2?

I doubt it, because if you had, you’d know just how horribly wrong that statement is.

38. DSB

BF3 doesn’t reward camping? Wow, okay. I’m kinda doubting whether you actually played it right now.

BF3 rewards camping any time your team is ahead, if you’re attacking and people start digging in, then you lose the game. On maps like Metro, Grand Bazaar, Seine, Damavand Peak, and pretty much all of the CQ maps, that happens more often than not.

Campers on the defending team get rewarded while campers on the attacking team get smacked. Often the dynamic of a match comes from the team that should be defending, attacking instead, and leaving their flags open. So it’s really a question of people intentionally making mistakes.

It’s just not a very intelligent mechanic. People stop attacking as soon as they get taken down a few times. If the game somehow encouraged or rewarded attacking for the individual, you might actually have a fight on your hands.

That’s a real problem with most objective based shooters. BF2 tried to remedy it some by introducing the commander, who would ideally try to take charge of tactics and give people a kick in the ass. There’s none of that in BF3.

39. OlderGamer

There is a difference between camping and strategicly defending an objective.

GHZ “There’s a huge difference between camping, and covering team mates who are capturing an objective.”

^^This.

DSB I have 300+ hours on BF3 on xb360.

In BF3, the efectiveness and camping amount depends on what game type your playing and what map you are on. I would imagine that is the the case for most OMP Shooters. BF series have always had a lot of focus on different game type modes.

And for the record I wasn’t making the statements as a complaint based on personal statments. Camping doesn’t bother me because I don’t play those modes/games that allow campers to take over a game. For example, in BF3 therer is always a way to take out campers. Also should be noted that camping and sniping are not the samething either. I often play with my brother inlaw, he snips. But he does it by hunkering down(becoming a spawn point) just outside the cap points. He offers cover. Often times he sprays bullets to trigger the games “Under fire” effect, while his team mates flank or close in on the baddies. That isn’t camping per say, that is strategy and prolly playing the way the class was intended. That is drasticly different then laying in wait around a corner, while sticking your ass in a corner or against a wall surounded by three sides. You are safe and waiting for someone to basicly walk down a tunnel at you. Ussualy you see and shoot first. Fun!

If that wasn’t your cup of tea, then my advice is to move on to something else.

I haven’t played Blops2 yet, GHZ, Gamefly hasn’t delivered it yet(WiiU), once I send back Darksiders II, I hope to get Blops2. It is on my list. I enjoyed the Zombies Mode in the first one.

40. DSB

Okay, so I guess the definition of whether you’re camping or not depends on whether you have a flag nearby to do it at. What a load of nonsense.

In both cases, you’re looking at guys remaining stationary in order to earn points while putting the other team at a disadvantage. Flags or no flags, it’s the same thing, just a different way of counting the points you get for doing it.

If anything, putting down flags to camp around is directly encouraging the tactic. In most deathmatch modes, there are no points for owning territory, so there’s little reason to stick around.

How succesful campers actually are depends wildly on the game. On a tight map during a deathmatch with respawns, camping is reasonably futile, since you can simply take out the guy on your next run. In some games you can easily shoot them through the walls.

In a place like Demavand Peak, once people get demoralized, camping the corridors is extremely effective, since the campers have more guns pointing down the corridor than they have coming at them.

41. stretch215

I don’t know what you’re on about, old man. As I said in my earlier posts (need new reading glasses?) I can deal with campers. It was you saying that one game has less than the other that brought me back to this article .

42. Ireland Michael

People, it’s Christmas. Go be with your families. Surely the bickering can wait until 2013?

43. Christopher Jack

There was a little thing called a grenade that was invented to deal with campers, whether you like it or not is irrelevant, it’s a part of the game, deal with it any way you want but bitching. The only thing that bothers me are those who exploit the game, spawn camping has been a huge problem & I put the entire blame on the devs for that, of course you are going to get ‘tards that exploit it. I don’t know how big the problem is anymore in major games like BF & CoD nor do I really care.

44. stretch215

@43 lol you obviously care enough to write a post. Edit: @ old man damn that’s a lot of time. I don’t think I have 300 hours gaming period since last October. Must be goidbeing a retiree :D

45. Dragon246

On the point though, just for a fact, “realistic” wars consists mainly of camping and not running and shooting, which is tantamount to suicide in real life.
    Although I agree in a game, it would very boring if everyone camps. Real wars lasts for months, not minutes like games.

46. Christopher Jack

@44, I was talking about caring about exploiters, although camping is something I don’t have strong feelings either way too.

47. Da Man

I never played a competitive shooter (I prefer turn based jrpgs and cutscenes with auto-aim) but I ‘ve read Wikipedia and know for a fact that people in Middle Ages did really camp during battles.

Although I suppose it would be boring in Mortal Kombat. Mortal Kombat is a stupid, highly advertised game which has nothing to do with noble fights.

48. OlderGamer

That was more to my orig point CJ. Camping is going to happen in any game like BF or cod. I just think that if someone is playing cod and is overly bothered with camping, they may want to play a different game instead.

Camping is indeed strategy in some situations. Digging ing to defend an objective pointbis not camping imo. Games that feature strong objective focus will be better when it comes to camping. Games with bigger maps and vehicles give players more options when dealing with campers.

But when a game works in the ability to go prone and crawl on your stomach, on the ground, surly the devs intended for players to hide from each other and even ambush each other. If you want a bowl shaped tiny map, where everyone is upright and exposed go play something like the old quake or unreal games.

Todays game often attempt to put more depth then that in their gameplay. But inorder for that to shine the game needs bigger maps, larger teams, vehicles, and various situations to employ the deeper strategy. BF does that and the camping is rarely an issue. Tho in some situations it alwas pops up.

Your attacking a flag/comm point, you don’t expect your enimy to just stand out in the open and wait for you to shoot (do you dsb?). Call in a morter strike, bring a tank, a jeep with a turet gun, hunker down and scope in, throw a motion tracker, ask a chopper for cover fire or just servalance…options. BF has all of that. And that was what i was trying to say.

Don’t hate players for using the game mechanics to their advantage, your beef should be with devs for not putting in enough options to deal with said mechanic.

Anyways mike is right, ima go play some of my new xmass games.

49. DSB

@48 “Your attacking a flag/comm point, you don’t expect your enimy to just stand out in the open and wait for you to shoot (do you dsb?)”

Nah, apparently you’re only expected to do that in a deathmatch.

Again, I fail to see how a developer encouraging camping is any better than individuals doing it by themselves.

50. DarkKnight

Mr.DaFuckMan,
    Did you go to your mama yet to complain about me yet? Or is your ass still hurt from the 360 that RRODed in your ass?
    Did Sony really fucked your mama that hard?

Happy New Year to everyone!

51. G1GAHURTZ

Camping is not, and never will be a “strategy”.

You will never, ever, ever, capture a single objective by camping.

Ever.

Lets not get confused, here. Lets not mix up clearly different definitions.

It’s got nothing to do with the game, other than that the game allows you freedom of movement. You can go and stand/crouch/lie where you like.

Forget battlefield, forget CoD. Campers camp because they’re antisocial gamers who want to leech off of the efforts of people who want to play the game properly. Camping requires other people to do what you’re not willing to do, or it doesn’t work. You can do it in any game that has a corner, or a place where common sense says you shouldn’t be.

And for the millionth time, before anyone types a ‘campers are easy to kill, you must be rubbish’ comment, I HAVE NO PROBLEM BEATING THEM. Yes, I grenade, yes, I use an alternate route, yes, I leave them alone to get no kills, yes, I use UAVs, etc, etc, etc.

The point is that I have much more fun when they play properly, or simply don’t play at all.

They’re like the annoying little kid who always wants to play football with the teenagers. He’s easy to play against, but he spoils the game for the people who want to play properly with his brat like antics.

52. kimkennemer30

Start working with facebook. $85 an hour! Seriously I don’t know why more people haven’t tried this, I work two shifts, 2 hours in the day and 2 in the evening…And what’s awesome is I’m working from home so I get more time with my kids. Here’s where I went…facebook Project

53. Christopher Jack

You act as if you understand the psychology of all gamers while also making it clear that you don’t. Also, who are you to define what ‘playing properly’ is? While I don’t always camp- when I do it’s a defensive strategy, nothing more- I’ve often reached a point where the enemies have a clear advantage & I am unable to take them head on.

I clearly don’t have the twitch reactions of most these 12 year old on crack, I already play on the second lowest sensitivity- latency plays a large role in that choice but the fact is I’m simply not the quickest player. I however make up for that with sneaky tactics such as crouching & hiding & waiting. I have no advantage roaming around like a headless chicken so why should I?

Now I won’t stay still the entire game but I may hold a strategic point for a few minutes before people come looking for revenge.

& no, your analogy is way off, if they’re still getting kills & aren’t throwing away deaths, they’re still contributing. In an objective type mode that’s only helpful if they’re doing that near the objective.

54. G1GAHURTZ

“Crouching, hiding and waiting…”

There’s no excuse. You can go on about being a bad player all you want, but it doesn’t change the fact that if everyone else crouched, hid and waited, you would get zero kills, and capture/destroy/defend zero objectives.

So it’s clearly common sense that this isn’t the proper way to play the game. You behave in a way that you wouldn’t want others to behave towards you.

That is nothing less than antisocial behaviour.

No psychoanalysis here, just facts.

The analogy is accurate, too. You want to play a game with people who are clearly much better than you, but instead of waiting until you’re good enough to play at their level, you behave in a way that affects their enjoyment of the game.

55. Da Man

DarkKnerd, u mad?

(And Sony is still shit, isn’t it.)

56. Christopher Jack

@54, People play games at their own pace, get over it. If you don’t like people playing safely & stealthily then you’re playing the wrong game, go play Unreal Tournament- I mean, who are you to dictate how one plays? You’re a good player so you have no need to play stealthily, most of us just don’t have the same twitch reflexes as yourself so they have to compromise using alternative tactics- you may not like it but why should anyone else care? If you had your way, only uber-competitive people like yourself would play, I don’t want to put in the hundreds of hours to stand a fair chance- not on a game like CoD & especially not with my average levels of latency.

57. G1GAHURTZ

You’re missing the point, again. It’s not me who’s playing the wrong game. That’s why BO2 is the most anti-camper game in the series.

No ghost (hides you on the mini-map) until level 55 (max level), it takes a while to unlock suppressors, almost every single building/potential camping spot has a minimum of two entrances, detection grenades that act as UAVs, weapon sights that see non moving players through walls, etc, etc, etc.

Players don’t want campers, and Treyarch don’t want campers.

You can play the game as slowly and steadily as you like without making a conscious decision to camp all day long.

It’s not about being a try-hard. It’s about having fun while you’re playing without stepping on other people’s toes.

Which is more than easy enough to do without camping.

58. Christopher Jack

You can’t play a competitive online multiplayer game without stepping on other peoples’ toes. As for those that hide the ENTIRE game, I do think they’re quite sad. I just take strategic spots, hold it for a couple mins til either I get bored or I’ve over provoked the enemies then I move along. I get killed while walking in the open & because of the combination of latency & being a low level, I get out bursted in confrontations even when I start firing earlier.

59. BlackWatch

The fact that we’re debating ‘campers’ vs ‘sprint-spray-pray’ play styles is beyond me.

Black Ops 2 is clearly a console game that has been ported to PC. People go on and on about the amazing/great/wonderful/splendid quality of Black Ops 2… but I simply believe that CoD has been declining with each and every generation of game. They take more and more of the strategic, tactics based combat out, and add more and more of a game that just caters to sprint-spray, console players.

IMHO, sprinters play the game as it was intended… for console. As Christopher pointed out, this really is/was okay for games like Unreal, Quake Arena, etc.,.. I expected that type of combat.
    For games like CoD/Black Ops, I expected higher quality gameplay. Again, strategy, tactics, and real combat operative style play. Instead, there are just a lot of smack-tarded, ill-tempered, attention seekers that want to run their mouths whilst sprinting around maps in the most dumbed down/watered down gameplay that I’ve ever witnessed.

If I were to equate video games to dining… Black Ops 2 would be of the ‘fast food’ variety. It sells a lot of units, it’s available on every street corner, and the advertisements are all over the place. But let’s be clear, popularity doesn’t equate to ‘quality’.
    Example: If you’re looking for fine dining and quality food, then you wouldn’t eat at McDonald’s. That being said, if so few want to wait for ‘quality’ and everyone keeps just eating McDonald’s… eventually, that’s all we’ll be left with. And that’s just it… Black Ops 2.
    We’ve moved the masses down this funnel and filtered them, retrained them all to believe that Black Ops is ‘the second coming’. In truth, we sit waiting for the stuff to be recycled every year (every other year) on the CoD and Black Ops product release cycles.

Again, I think that players of all gaming styles are trying to make the game work for them in some way shape or form. In order to find any competition in a ready available state, we play Black Ops and hope that the dev’s turn it around and take it in the right direction.

60. G1GAHURTZ

For games like CoD/Black Ops, I expected higher quality gameplay.

Then that’s your problem for having unrealistic expectations for a game that runs on ‘a modified Quake engine’. You want the game to be something that it never was, and was never intended to be.

If you really want to camp, play something else.

61. Leeroy101

Hey to all… i dont often use these forums to voice my concerns… but after falling out with playing CoD religiously (because of the lack of hardcore modes)im even thinking abt selling my xbox. I cant believe that im stuck with Kill confirmed as an excuse for a game. its a glorified deathmatch, my bullit confirms my kills, not some dude taking the tag. Cap the flag is just a Gypsy Camping site with a crappy respawrn time, and S+D is something ive only played when its into the early hours… Why cant us hardcore players just get an objective based game like Headquarters… my clan is 30-40 strong and we are all in disbelieve that the makers that gave us HC HQ 1st (treyarch) on World at War, all be it at the end, we all found something that would be fun to play and objesctive based with no respawn timers and was carried on2 Black Ops, which i thought was a popular gametype..

Atleast 1 flowing HC objective based game is needed… thats all im praying for otherwise i can slowly see my clan falling apart and like myself no longer playing CoD, which would be crap as ive been a player since CoD4.. WTF would i do with my time , lolz… thanks for letting me go on and on, i hope some1 at Treyarch is listening :D

62. scottscamaro

Bring back domination to hard core and this game will be complete…without it leaves me waiting for the next Call of Duty…because you know infinity ward will have it just to out do tryarc

63. detox_ib

What ever happened to Hardcore domination, HQ..Would also love to see some of the new gametypes offered in Hardcore. Get it right guys.

Hardcore = TDM – S&D – CTF – DEMO – DOM – HQ

Make it happen!

64. themattd

Hardcore War was one of my favorite match styles of all the Cod games. But I feel like it was balanced out by the weapons that had specific ranges and utilities that dont exist now. Single shot rifles, short range smgs, and heavy slow machine guns. Cross mapping with a thompson was rather hard. you ended up having different guns that were good for different styles

65. LeoAiono21

Making a moshpit option would allow players to play multiple game types in one, instead of making them as individual playlist options.

Dont give up on the players that are dedicated to this game style! I understand that a large amount of people define hardcore players as “campers”. Well.. I could also call people who play regular, “impatient”.

G1GAHURTZ,

I only wanted to say that, because BLOPS II is score-based rather then killstreak-based, I personally have noticed more activity on these playlists. More players are now achieving the goals of each game-type because it helps the killstreak rewards. It was the smartest thing that Treyarch could do to help the “camping” situation. I dont believe that the people who play standard, come without camping either.

Anyways,

For HC, i think that appeasing the large crowd of hardcore gamers would be to go with MOSHPIT option. Make the moshpit option include ALL game types in the hardcore format. As for the current HC options, i think its a great idea to keep those.

Thanks

66. bigphill

You can have it a lil lik mw3 for the killstreaks lik assualt because everybody aint no punk ass camper there are some players that run and gun and if a a camper stays in one place more than ten seconds kick them from the game bcause its not fair to the run and gunners

#66 1 year ago
  67. leageplaysucks

fix leage play i keep getting up to a good level and getting into games with the worst teammates in the game i dont know how they get so high and be so bad

#67 1 year ago
  68. zinc

*league*

#68 1 year ago
  69. ImperiaIwizard

Let me tell every body why I think black ops to one of the worst games I’ve ever bought and this is just one the reasons… I have one gun left to get gold so I can get diamond you need Tim bloodthirsty’s I have one but for the past five matches I’ve got bloodthirsty’s and hasn’t given me my bloodthirsty’s my last game I went to name one I got a bloodthirsty but didn’t give me the bloodthirsty know please fix this problem along with a lot of other problems that is with this game

#69 11 months ago