Black Ops 2 first-year unit sales could be down as much as 15% – analyst

Thursday, 29th November 2012 21:10 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Call of Duty sales are declining, despite the $500 million Black Ops 2 earned its first day at retail, according to Sterne Agee analyst Arvind Bhatia.

Speaking in an industry note, Bhatia said retail figures show a double digit decline year-over-year.

“Our checks show initial sales of CoD: Black Ops 2 at some retailers were down as much as 20%,” he said. “Subsequently, it appears sales of CoD did pick up a bit over the Thanksgiving holiday. We think the current sales curve suggests unit sales in its first year could ultimately be down 10 to 15% year-over-year.

“If we are right, this would be the second year in a row this critical franchise will have seen units decline. We estimate CoD generates 40 to 45% of the company’s EBIT (earnings before interest and taxes) on an annual basis and it goes without saying that weakness in this franchise is a cause for concern.”

Bhatia said one reason for the decline should have been Halo 4′s launch the week prior, and another reason: customers waiting on holiday sales.

Thanks, GI International.

1. fengato

The elephant in the room is COD fatigue. I’ve purchased every COD day one (aside from the PC original). Blops 2 feels so very stale and samey – almost feels like a map pack. I’ve put it away in a cupboard – I’ll dig it out mid year during the games drought. I’m a big fan (World @ War is one of my fav games of all time), though it’s really beginning to get tiresome.

2. Nars99

The beginning of the end , I hope

3. Dave Cook

@2 hopefully not. Black Ops 2 is the best one yet. Personally of course. MW3 dicked it by being rather dull.

4. Docker Al

Don’t discount the effect of quickscopers. Treyarch said this insidious form of cheating would not be possible in Blops 2 but it is more common and easier than it ever has been. These retards have infested the game like cockroaches and the fair players have had enough. Over a dozen people on my friends list have stopped playing already and,like me,are unlikely to return to the franchise.They are in every lobby and people are rage quitting constantly as a result.Word spreads quickly and so the gamers who just want a good fair game aren’t buying.So well done Treyarch-you’ve created a game that appeals to cheating arseholes.The rest of us will play something else.

5. zinc

^ People are not buying it, because quickscopers are ruining the online mp of the game they don’t own? :-/

I think #1 has it right. CoD fatigue. Doesn’t matter how good the game is, after awhile people want something new, even if it’s just a name.

6. Dave Cook

Quickscopers are crap, so easily defeated imo.

Not me being a dick either, I play this game constantly and rarely see, or be killed by them. Sure they’re annoying, but not so bad that I’d consider getting rid of the game or something :)

Let them have their shite KD ratios and black, empty hearts ;)

7. G1GAHURTZ

First of all, this is analyst speculation.

Secondly, sales are down across the board in gaming anyway, so a slight dip in CoD sales doesn’t say much at all.

Thirdly, quick scopers aren’t a problem.

8. Dave Cook

@7 +1

9. Docker Al

@ Dave, I pretty much only play Domination and they’re infesting this game mode. Gamers going for objectives are easy targets. The end of game stats showing caps and defends show them up every time.Domination has become nothing more than an opportunity for these creeps to boost thier KD. I DO get pissed off.And I don’t play games just to feel pissed off at pricks who are so weak they have to cheat at a video game.