Windows 8: 40 million licenses sold so far, says Microsoft

Wednesday, 28th November 2012 11:40 GMT By Dave Cook

Microsoft has sold 40 million Windows 8 licenses since the operating system launched on October 26th. However, a research firm has claimed that only 15 million PC owners are actually using it. Get the details below.

Tami Reller, Microsoft’s finance and marketing head explained that Windows 8 is selling faster in its first month than its predecessor Windows 7, which sold 60 million units in its first ten weeks.

NDTV reports – via Reuters – that Reller, who was speaking at a Credit Suisse investor conference didn’t offer a breakdown of Windows 8 sales. For example, it was unclear which sales were straight license purchases for home use, professional use, or operating systems bought bundled with PC hardware.

Tech research firm StatCounter cast doubt on Reller’s announcement, and posed that only 15 million PC devices were actually running and actively using the operating system, making up just 1% of the 1.5 billion PCs worldwide today. The projection suggests that many licenses are lying dormant, snapped up by businesses and hardware companies for professional use when required.

Although Microsoft’s new Surface tablets use Windows 8, Reller did not share sales figures with attendees, but earlier that day, the company did reveal that is shifted some 750,000 Xbox 360 consoles across America during the Black Friday sales week.

Are you using Windows 8? Are you enjoying it? let us know below.

Thanks Eurogamer.

1. The Auracle

Of course, sales numbers don’t tell who loves it and who doesn’t but I’m a fan of Windows 8. Hopefully, people will come out of the old traditional Windows/desktop computing mindset and see what Windows 8 is really capable of doing.

I’m not holding my breath, though.

2. mistermogul

Nope. Perfectly happy with Windows 7 and see no need to “upgrade” to a lesser OS.

3. jevonski

nope. don’t want a tablet/touchscreen interface on my pc it’s bad enough having my 360 full of squares.

4. ManuOtaku

Well if windows 8 is like the 360 interface, then i say i will like it, if i do ever get it, because i do like a lot the 360 interface with the squares and the way is display.

5. Mike W

I was going to upgrade, but I keep hearing horror stories how bad windows 8 is. So I’ll stick with win 7 for now.

6. roadkill

15 millions retards who try to kill PC gaming. The good news is that 59.32% of Steam users still use Win7 64bit. It looks like some people retain some of their intellectual capabilities.

7. NiceFellow

On a PC or similar device Windows 8 is really Windows 7.2 with a useless interface you reach to get rid of.

On tablet it’s very nice and on 360 its very nice but it on PC it currently adds little of real use hence the reception.

Even Apple have a different OS look/feel for Macs / iPads and they operate in a far more closed environment – I really don’t understand why MS has pushed out an OS that tries to be equal on PC / tablets as it just doesn’t work well on PC unless you revert to what you 99% have already with Windows 7.

8. G1GAHURTZ

Oh, so Win8 isn’t selling so bad, after all…

Who’da thunk it?

If it’s selling faster than Win7 was at this stage, it might even go on to sell more copies in the long run, too.

9. freedoms_stain

I heard that mouse support feels like an afterthought on the Metro UI. Really awkwardly emulated touch interactions instead of anything that was designed for a mouse user.

10. G1GAHURTZ

^ Sort of.

It’s completely fine for a mouse, except for when it comes to right click, which is obviously impossible to directly translate into touch.

Right clicking opens an option menu at the bottom of the screen, which can end up turning into a lot of unnecessary mouse movement until you get used to expecting it to appear there.

Scroll wheel replaces left and right swipe, which works quite well.

11. adamr

@Roadkill, before insulting the intelligence of 15 million people. It would be wise, to check facts. Steam runs on windows 8 and those people you call retards, include developers of the games you love playing.

12. Christopher Jack

99% of my Windows 8 usage is in desktop, metro is just a poor overlay- you quickly realize that with dual monitors when desktop mode is always on for the second screen. W8′s metro maybe useful for tablets but WinRT isn’t a real computer OS, it’s just a blown up Windows Phone OS with a desktop option ala iPad.

13. viralshag

After a rough installation I now have it up and running. I’m loving it, I couldn’t imagine going back to using a start button. Everything seems to work well on it. I’m even using it on a dual monitor set up and I haven’t run into any major issues.