Bungie’s Destiny “social”, “designed for your inner 7yo”

Wednesday, 28th November 2012 00:59 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Leaked design documents show Halo developer Bungie taking a more accessible approach with its new property, Destiny.

According to documents received by IGN, and apparently verified by Bungie itself, co-founder co-founder Jason Jones described the game as appealing to the kid in all of us.

“Destiny is designed for your inner seven year old. We want to make it feel like a mythic adventure,” he said.

The documents, apparently created by an advertising agency and granting a third-party perspective on the project, said the multi-game series will be “fun and accessible to all” with “a universe as deep, tangible and relatable as that of the Star Wars franchise”.

“Our story begins seven hundred years from now in the Last City on Earth, in a Solar System littered with the ruins of man’s Golden Age. A massive, mysterious alien ship hangs overhead like a second Moon. No one knows where it came from or what it’s here for, but only that it’s our protector. Meanwhile, strange, alien monsters creep in from the edge of the universe, determined to take Earth and the Last City. We are young ‘knights’ tasked with defending the remains of humanity, discovering the source of these monsters and – eventually – overcoming it.”

Other tidbits from the documents reveal that the ship is called the Traveler, and the gameplay is said to be “social at its core,” set in “a world to explore with friends, both old and new”.

Responding to the leak, Bungie has updated its website with a response, offering one piece of concept art which you can check out below; IGN has several more through the link above.

Given the project’s expected launch next year and the timing of the leak, destiny is now a pretty hot ticket for a Spike VGAs reveal; this mysterious tweet from host Geoff Keighley following right on its heels certainly seems auspicious. The VGAs are a favourite target for major reveals and this year are scheduled to take place on December 7.

What is Destiny?

Bungie parted ways with Microsoft and Halo in 2010, signing a ten-year contract with Activision Blizzard. The name Destiny first turned up linked to a rumour that the developer’s next project was “WoW in space” and appeared confirmed when a trademark was linked back to Bungie.

Details of the contract between the two companies emerged this year, with Bungie apparently confirming a 2013 release for the first product of the union. Other details of the contract – which may be outdated – suggest a four-title series of action shooters code named Destiny, along with four expansion packs, code-named Comet. Destiny and Comet releases would occur on alternate years.

Apart from that, all we know of the project is that Paul McCartney is possibly involved with the music; it will contain sandbox elements; and is rumoured to be “quite like Halo” by someone who referenced the ancient codename Tiger.

1. Gheritt White

I AM OFFICIALLY EXCITE! D1P!!!

#1 1 year ago
  2. Erthazus

Killzone 3 LOL. Just change the masks and done :D

#2 1 year ago
  3. Brenna Hillier

Updated with background info and possibility of VGAs reveal.

#3 1 year ago
  4. manamana

I believe in Bungie! They are ace!

#4 1 year ago
  5. polygem

omg, this is the news of news, thx…so now it has oficially started! great. was a long wait. the artwork looks fantastic. so it has snow levels, which i love ;) can scratch tht off my list already….checked. pheew.
    i am hyped for this since i first heard of it. have to calm down a bit and try not to get too hyped. everything we know this far sounds like the game i´ve been waiting for for ages (please don´t give me that planetside stuff now. this will probably be another league). my most anticipated game of all, by far. this decade.

cannot wait for more infos about the factions. maybe we´ll have a nice vg247 squad one day.
    factions are named, dead orbit, seven seraphs, new monarchy, osiris and i think another one FWC…then you´ll have classes too. man a bungie fpsmmo – and on consoles. which plays “quite like Halo”….this is so ace.

@5: I believe as well!

@2: you will regret these words one day and i will remind you ;)

#5 1 year ago
  6. roadkill

Well duuuh!! Because the average console gamer IS 7 years old.

#6 1 year ago
  7. polygem

will probably be nextbox time exclusice and then coming to ps4 a bit later (great that this will be multiplat!). will help selling nextboxes a lot though.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Maximum Payne

Considering this is Activision-Blizzard its big chance that game will come out for all platforms including PC.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Gadzooks!

It’s already been confirmed as a timed exclusive for 360 and NextBox, with a PS3 version possibly following 1 year later.

No mention of a PC version *so far*, but they haven’t said no.

#9 1 year ago
  10. TD_Monstrous69

OK, the thing I think that’s total bullshit is how it’s being released. Can someone please explain to me in what galaxy does that supposed release schedule make sense? By that, I mean it just doesn’t sound anything like Activision’s release strategy for games. Plus, if I’m not mistaken, Bungie started staffing up on a PS3 development team as early as 2009, was there a lot of trouble putting that team together something? I don’t know, guess all I can do is wait until Bungie decides to start officially talking about Destiny, or whatever their game’s name will be. Though after seeing images like this, I’m just dyin to hear about it. Also, last time I checked, sir Paul did actually announce that he’s working with Bungie on the score for the game, or some music for it, and that’s the only concrete thing known.

#10 1 year ago
  11. polygem

i guess the time exclusive thing could be something they discussed after the halo contract expired. imho it is good that bungie goes multiplat. if they will be time exclusive to ms for a while due to their past work/ relationship with ms that´s fine. they go multiplat and everyone only owning a sony console should be very very happy about that.

#11 1 year ago
  12. fengato

Dearly hope this is coming to PS4 around the same time, as I’d like to avoid having to shell out for a 720 (now that Halo is no longer in Bungie’s capable hands.)

#12 1 year ago
  13. manamana

Guys, check out AGB, they have loads of screens!

#13 1 year ago
  14. YoungZer0

If by screens you mean artworks.

One of which has a pose completely identical to the cancelled Tiberium.

#14 1 year ago
  15. polygem

@manamana: thank you for the link!

it looks fantastic and all…

#15 1 year ago
  16. friendlydave

@YoungZer0 I can’t check the second link so you might of posted it (Imgur blocked at work) but there’s also this image I saw on twitter earlier.

#16 1 year ago
  17. nextgen2

lol this is old news, it was posted like 2 hours ago here http://www.noshitshurlock.com/bungie-announces-new-franchise-titled-destiny/

#17 1 year ago
  18. Phoenixblight

@17 and this was posted last night. Go troll somewhere else.

#18 1 year ago
  19. polygem

@17. i stared at the first artwork about a year ago,

this:

in the office, with a work mate: a snowy mountain landscape with a futuristic windmill in it, working title: destiny, made by bungie, faction based mmofps rumored, didn´t need more than that. hyped since then. then it became very silent, only the names and logos of the possible factions appeared somewhere because of some leaked bungie staff t-shirts;) now we are getting some fresh and official stuff and this is just great!

#19 1 year ago
  20. Clupula

I could have sworn that the timed exclusive thing was the original idea for it, but now it’s going to have a simultaneous launch.

I won’t be playing it anyway, because I don’t buy Activision products.

And music from Paul McCartney doesn’t exactly get me excited.

#20 1 year ago
  21. polygem

@20: you can decide about that already?
    you are having some strange rules: the 20 exclusives rule, the no acti never rule…
    i mean it´s good to have principles but i´d personally choose to have principles in more moral related choices, and not if i like red or blue more.
    we still do not know much about destiny but i am pretty sure already that you might miss out on something that could become a benchmark/ milestone in gaming….acti or not, as a gamer i would definitley keep my eyes open for it and not count myself out just because i do not like the beatles. a great game is a great game.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Clupula

It’s not an “already” thing, with Activision, it’s actually something I’ve gone by since they dropped all those games at one time, a bunch of years ago. You know, Ghostbusters, Brutal Legend, Chronicles of Riddick… Anything that they felt they couldn’t shit out yearly iterations of.

It just felt like such a soulless corporate move, combined with some of the bullshit Bobby Kotick said over the years, that I decided as long as he was in power, I wouldn’t buy a single one of their games. Which, really, neither of us are probably losing any sleep over. I’m not a fan of the Spunkgargleweewee genre and they have tens of millions of people buying their games anyway, so my $65 missing from the til is not going to break them.

But, as an artist, I would not be comfortable giving my money to someone who treated other creative people in that manner. I actually made a point of making sure I bought each and every one of the games they canceled, even if I was the only one doing that.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Clupula

Still, doesn’t mean that I can’t be curious about a game and read up on it.

And if it does actually impress me enough to give it a shot, even if it’s not in a genre I particularly like, there’s always the used market, so I could feel better about buying it.

#23 1 year ago
  24. OlderGamer

10 year contract, ok. So how many Destiny games will they crank out(the Acti Way)? I am guessing at least one trilogy, Then maybe a prequel a with back story or something. Maybe Acti replaces CoD with this franchise as its king of OMP FPS. If that being the case, maybe they will go big and put multi teams on the game and cranking out a game each year.

Or maybe I am getting ahead of the picture a bit. Sorry hard not to be cynicle. At least a bit.

As for XB before PS, get used to it(if your not already). Going to be a LOT of that next gen I think. And that is going to be esp true for western made games. If you can only purchase one system next gen, make your choice wisely. If your not limited to just one, buy em all, play what you want, and don’t worry about what system gets what game and in what order.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Clupula

Actually, it’s how the generation used to work, but hasn’t since, oh, about 2009. Now, it only happens with DLC and only on certain games.

360 DLC tends to be a timed exclusive while PS3 DLC tends to be lifetime in most cases.

#25 1 year ago
  26. polygem

i believe it will be more like new content in form of DLC, add ons, expansions…mmo style.
    acti/blizzard/bungie…it all kinda makes sense to me. this will be milked, you can definitley say that already but this must not be a bad thing. i am sure bungie have ensured that they will have enough room to breath to deliver quality AND quantity…at least i hope for that DESTINY.

#26 1 year ago