Xbox 360 moves 750,000 units in US over Black Friday weekend

Tuesday, 27th November 2012 19:46 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Microsoft has announced that on Black Friday weekend more than 750,000 Xbox 360 consoles were sold in the US, exceeding the firm’s internal forecasts. Three month Gold subscriptions also increased 50% year-over-year for the same period in 2011, and to top things off, on Sunday, November 25, 14 million were playing on Xbox Live worldwide – which equates to 72 million hours of use in one day. This is a 43% increase in US “application hours” logged on Xbox Live during Black Friday week. Via Major Nelson.

1. Razor

MS really have US locked down at the mo.

2. Dragon246

Well that beats ps3 and WiiU to dust.Kudos to MS! So much for a great start for wiiu. Not even beating 7 year old console at launch.

3. OlderGamer

Going forward no one is going to beat MS, Dragon. Maybe Apple someday, but I doubt games will be the biggest focus at that point.

4. Dragon246

I don’t expect MS to win hands down next-gen. I guess US and probably UK to MS whereas Eurozone and Japan going the sony way. I would like to elaborate but I am going to sleep now so maybe later sometime.
    I hope you vote tomorrow for the community awards, I would probably post the voting page tomorrow.

5. OlderGamer

Yep plan on voting Dragon.

I think that Nintendo edges Sony in JPN, btw. I see MS and Sony mostly splitting EU. And MS taking the lions share in NA.

6. polygem

yep, i´d totally bet on that too…

7. loveaya

When we watch the american TV series, X360 shows up much more often than the other consoles.

8. loveaya

But in “Homeland”, I think Chris, Brody’s son always plays PS3….

9. woe

These sales do not reflect Saturday and Sunday retail sales.

10. Maximum Payne

@8 Also I remember in Heroes the blond mom was playing Heavenly Sword before game was released :D

11. Clupula

Nintendo and Sony will split Japan, as is happening now. Nintendo will rule the handheld market with the 3DS and its eventual successor while the PS4 will rule the console market unless every major franchise moves to handhelds.

12. Gheritt White

Ugh… don’t make predictions until you’ve seen/heard what MS and Sony actually have to offer the market.

Personally, I reckon MS have it in the bag… for the Western market, at least.

13. monkeygourmet

I wonder if Nintendo will do a 4-5 year cycle with the Wii U?

I’m presuming the next gen will be the last for actual consoles as we know them. Maybe Nintendo will be able to squeeze out another console a few years into the life of the 720 – PS4?

They may have timed things better in that way.

14. monkeygourmet

Also, it looks like Nintendo shifted 300,000 Wii’s too.

so in the game space it has pretty much levelled out with MS.

15. Da Man

PS3 surpassed 360 lifetime sales.. MS will finish in the third place..

Erm, right.