Dizzy Returns Kickstarter: Oliver Twins defend £350,000 funding goal

Tuesday, 27th November 2012 11:06 GMT By Dave Cook

Dizzy Returns is a brand new adventure from the Oliver twins that needs £350,000 to become fully-funded on Kickstarter. Given the simplistic nature of previous Dizzy games, some gamers have responded to the Twin’s demands with scepticism, but the developers have argued that the money will go a long way. Find out why below.

Over on the Dizzy Returns Kickstarter page, a new update explains why the Twin’s studio Blitz Games is asking for £350,000 in funding.

“At first glance it sounds like a lot of money to develop a game. Saying that, teams of hundreds of people at large studios create AAA titles for consoles and PC and spend tens of millions of dollars in the process.

“It’s also true that games can be made on a much smaller budget. There are independent developers creating mobile games for a fraction of that cost, sometimes individually or in small teams of just a handful of people.

“Our company, Blitz Games Studios, is somewhere in the middle of those two extremes, employing over 200 talented and creative people, with game teams typically made up of anywhere between 10 and 70 people.”

The post goes on to explain that Dizzy Returns will be developed by a team of around 12 developers over a period of six months, will provide 200 puzzles – some of which require physics to solve – and should contain ten scrolling worlds to explore.

Part of the large figure could stem from the fact that the game will feature full voicing from professional actors, as the post suggests, “The main cast of characters in both versions of Dizzy Returns will be fully voiced by professional voice actors, and the game will also have an original musical score created from scratch.

“We want Dizzy Returns to be the best game it can be, and we know that with £350,000 we can make a game that we and our fans can be proud of.”

What do you make of the concept? Is it something you would invest in? Let us know below.

Thanks Eurogamer.

1. monkeygourmet

What bullshit.

That’s a huuuuuuge amount of money for a game like this.

Here’s an idea, scrap the voice actors its a shit idea.

Zelda games have managed okay without them, I’m sure it won’t effect Dizzy either.

I wonder how much treasure island Dizzy cost to make?

#1 1 year ago
  2. Dave Cook

@1 I’d like to find that out actually. Bet it cost next to nothing, as I believe it was made in the Oliver twin’s bedroom, commissioned by Codemasters.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Gheritt White

What the ACTUAL fuck? Why isn’t this just a regular Blitz Games project?

#3 1 year ago
  4. BinaryTweedDeej

@Gheritt: To my knowledge all of BGS’ projects have been publisher-backed.

Assuming that BGS isn’t sitting on a huge reserve of cash (why would they be, when it’d be natural to reinvest any surplus) is it responsible to spend £350,000 of studio finances on an unbacked project, when said finances are support 200 people’s livelihoods?

As an aside, I still don’t get why there was none of this negativity for the DoubleFine Kickstarter.

#4 1 year ago
  5. monkeygourmet

I bet it was under £500 apart from the man hours!

People programmed and made games for the love back then!

In the words of those great poets the Black Eyed Peas: “Where is the love?!” :)

Bring back Monty Mole I say, what a great British gaming icon!

#5 1 year ago
  6. BinaryTweedDeej

@monkeygourmet I bet it was even less! That said, it *did* have that one-life-only issue that was a monumental PITA…

I’d contest that people made games for love back then – I’d wager they did it because of the huge profits possible. Hence all the shovelware!

#6 1 year ago
  7. monkeygourmet

I hated those hidden traps in the treehouse village! Argh! Sooooo frustrating! And the psychotic repetitive music that put you in a trance, classic! :)

#7 1 year ago
  8. TheWulf

I hope it reaches its goal, to be honest. We need more games like this, not less. If there’s one thing I’m really tired of? It’s sterile, unimaginative titles with dull colour palettes. I miss old games, silly and vibrant as they were. So I was quite happy to see Hero-U on Kickstarter. The Coles are beautiful people, and that they had the Brawsome devs working with them just pushed about every happy button my head had to push.

We really do need more of this, not less.

As for the money? They say it on the KickStarter page itself. It’s a test of interest. They’re dipping their toe in and checking the waters to see whether a potential series of Dizzy games could be profitable. Whether there’s still enough interest in both the character and the style of game.

#8 1 year ago
  9. TheWulf

Also, @1: Why scrap the voice actors? That’d be a dickish thing to do to people who’re partially sighted who might enjoy this game, no? I mean, say you give a Dizzy game to a kid who has trouble reading, having it voiced would allow him to play it. It’s not all about you and me.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Dave Cook

Stephen Fry better be narrating it, or else I’ll challenge the Oliver Twins to a triple threat ladder match.

#10 1 year ago
  11. monkeygourmet

Well, it doesn’t take a genius to figure out there won’t be enough interest.

Dizzy was ‘of a time’. People purchasing the game would be doing so from a nostalgia perspective.

How bout releasing all the Dizzy games on XBLA remastered for 400 points a go to drum up interest?

This is just greedy and badly thought out. There are plenty of imaginative games out there without stupid goals like this.

How about Cave Story for example?

Dizzy was about playability, it doesn’t need expensive voice acting or anything like that.

#11 1 year ago
  12. monkeygourmet

What? You also don’t have to market to a minority.

As I said, Zelda doesn’t contain voices but you can still get lost in the world.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Dave Cook

oh god, the NOSTALGIA!!

#13 1 year ago
  14. monkeygourmet

‘Black Lamp’ on Atari ST had my favourite old school music score, fantastic!

#14 1 year ago
  15. Ireland Michael

As someone who pretty much grew up on Dizzy, and spent 90% of his gaming childhood on Dizzy, even I think they the character should stay in the past.

He gave his worth to gaming, but please, leave him to rest in the past where he belongs.

#15 1 year ago
  16. monkeygourmet

Eggsactly ;)

#16 1 year ago
  17. Ireland Michael

@16 That was an eggceptionally obvious yolk.

Okay, I’m going to go shoot myself now. That was terrible.

#17 1 year ago
  18. monkeygourmet

:D

#18 1 year ago
  19. BinaryTweedDeej

@11 I’m not sure how a re-release of old games would be better than trying to create something new and up-to-date. You mention that there’s more imaginative games out there, but then suggest re-releasing old material?

#19 1 year ago
  20. Dave Cook

@19 I agree. I love the original games, trust me, I grew up on them. but even I go back to them on emulators at times and find them to irritating and poorly signposted at points. I’m too busy to really put the same amount of time in.

The format can be improved for sure. I’m keen to see how they put that whopping load of cash to use.

#20 1 year ago