Dishonored: “We clearly have a new franchise”, says Bethesda

Tuesday, 27th November 2012 23:57 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Dishonored is out-performing Bethesda’s expectations, the publisher has confirmed, cementing the property’s place in its stable.

Speaking with Destructoid, PR boss Pete Hines said Arkane’s late-cycle new IP is doing quite well.

“I can tell you that Dishonored is far exceeding our sales expectations, which is especially cool considering it’s new IP facing a host of well-established franchises this quarter,” he said

“We did terrific numbers again this past weekend, both in stores and on Steam, where Dishonored was listed as the number one selling title over the holiday weekend. And Dishonored has really sold well overseas. So, we’re very pleased and appreciate all the fans that have supported Dishonored and Arkane. We clearly have a new franchise.”

Developer Arkane has been amivalent on the possibility of a sequel to Dishonored. Co-director Harvey Smith has mixed feelings about a follow-up, but colleague Raf Colantonio has said the team is “open” to the idea.

Dishonored launched on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in October to critical acclaim.

1. YoungZer0

Yes, yes. We’d like to have Prey 2 now.

#1 1 year ago
  2. absolutezero

Please don’t tie Arkane down.

Please please please.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Mineral4r7s

Game of the year 2012 if you ask me. Most beautiful game I played this year. 40 hours of fond memorys. Thank you Dishonored !

#3 1 year ago
  4. Hunam

If they do continue it on, I’d like it to be more like Bioshock in that you keep the theme and gameplay ideals but put it in a new location with new characters and stories.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Telepathic.Geometry

I’d like them to do a sequel where they have an expedition off to that mysterious continent of Pandyssia, and maybe there’s a whole different kind of shit going on there, so that the Outsider would confer different powers.

In that way, a sequel might have more in common with Bioshock Infinite, and less in common with Bioshock 2. That’s my greatest fear. I loved Dead Space and Bioshock sooooo fucking much, but their sequels were only okay, especially Bioshock 2.

#5 1 year ago
  6. TD_Monstrous69

Good to hear. Loved Dishonored (just finished play-through #2, loved it even more), good to hear this one’s staying around. Could see hundreds of ideas where the sequel for this might go. Though I’d really like to hear some new info on some certain other universes from Bethesda…cough…Fallout…cough…PS3 dlc for Skyrim…cough…game from Shinji Mikami…cough.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Talkar

An absolutely great game for sure. I just wish there had been more focus on stealth in the game :/

#7 1 year ago
  8. roadkill

I haven’t had the time to check this out. :( BF3, Hawken, TL2 and soon GW2 are sucking all my free time.. :) Anyway, it’s good to see that that the game is performing so well thought I don’t think that they should have cut the price by 50% yet..

#8 1 year ago
  9. SameeR_Fisher

Great, I would love to see Dishonored 2.

#9 1 year ago
  10. viralshag

Not that bothered about a sequel. I thought it was a better than average game at best. Didn’t have much interest in playing it any more after my first run through.

I can see why people liked it but it just wasn’t my cup of tea.

#10 1 year ago