Ubisoft CEO: “We need new consoles”

Monday, 26th November 2012 02:19 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Ubisoft boss Yves Guillemot believes this console generation has lasted too long, leading to a dearth of innovation thanks to the poor performance of new properties mid-cycle.

“The transition has been very long,” Guillemot told Polygon

The executive said the industry is used to console cycles of about five years, whereas the Xbox 360 has been in action for seven years now.

“We need new consoles and at the end of the cycle generally the market goes down because there are less new IPs, new properties, so that damaged the industry a little bit. I hope next time they will come more often,” he said.

Guillemot said that content creators are inspired to “take more risks and do different things” during a hardware transition, whereas when a console starts to age, new IPs don’t sell well even if they’re good. Although the core is still keen on new experiences, he argued, companies can’t take the risk.

“Everybody who is taking risks and innovating is welcome because there are lots of hardcore gamers and those guys want new things, where the mass market will be more interested in having the same experience,” he said.

“It’s not aware as much of what is going to change its experience. So, the beginning of the machines is always a good time for innovation.”

Retail sales figures have been gradually slipping for over a year now, with many major publishers and platform holders posting losses or declines. A growth in digital sales and the rising popularity of alternate business models may negate much of the drop in the market, but Ubisoft – always happy to jump in on a new console – isn’t the first to call for new hardware to give the games industry a boost.

Microsoft and Sony are strongly tipped to reveal new hardware in 2013; VG247 learned recently that new PlayStation 4 development kits were doing the rounds.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. DarkElfa

Wait, were’t all these devs jerking off over over how we didn’t need new consoles yet like just last year?

2. Zohar

Kinda depends on the dev you’re talking to and whether or not their brand new omg best-game-ever is about to come out.

The Ubi CEO is definitely right though. Consumers are bored with their consoles and new IPs are few and far between. Publishers are playing it safe and releasing re-hash sequels and samey brown shooters to survive off the mainstream dollars.

I think the proof of that is in the current wave of awesome downloadable titles. Those guys aren’t aiming for the mainstream market and they aren’t investing tens of millions into development so they can afford to just develop the games they want to develop. It proves that there are still a lot of great ideas out there.

New consoles mean consumer excitement. It’s a perfect time to release new IPs.

3. Erthazus

We need new consoles since the end of 2009 or 2010 seriously.

4. Maabren

Don’t belive it, if any devs bother making new IP’s then market is at it’s peek now and in 2013 with many million users and buyers. When new consoles hit the road, dev’s have only few million buyers at best and every new IP have to nail it or they will lose against sequels.

5. Old MacDonald

I wonder how tempted gamers will be by the next generation ad & media boxes, though. Microsoft have shown what direction they’re headed, and I’m not planning on going the same way.

6. Gheritt White

@ #3: You mean 2011 – ideally, new consoles would be shipping *this* Xmas (i.e. Autumn 2012), it’d have been the optimal time. Of course, you couldn’t have told that in ’08/’09 when all this was being locked down.

Also, the next gen is last traditional console gen. After that, it’s all cloud based. That isn’t speculation, it’s what’s happening.

7. DSB

Gamers: “We need new publishers”

So EA are saying that the old consoles are the reason why they aren’t doing anything new, and Ubisoft are saying that the lack of new IPs is hurting the market.

So the games industry is essentially sad because it drinks, and it drinks because it’s sad.

8. Cobra951

@2:

I’m not bored with my console. I’m bored with most of the games coming out for it. When the next console generation comes, barring a deal breaker like forced online connections, I will most likely jump on it. But I’m tired of all the negativity surrounding the perfectly viable, competently performing current gen. Instead of whining about what’s going to come in its good time regardless, how about some real effort into what is already here, Mr Ubisoft? Tens of millions of users await.

9. Gadzooks!

I’m nowhere near bored with my console.

I still have far, far more top quality games than I have time to play them.

10. TheOutcastWolf

Nah, we don’t

11. Sasha_Je

That’s why Ubisoft first Vita title ( new hardware ) was an Assassins Creed game because they want to take risks and innovate. When PS5 and Xbox 1080 will get released we will still get Assassins Creed and their mass appealing games. In the end it’s all rubbish, we will get the same games more or less and the best selling ones will still be CoD and AC. The industry suffers because gamers pay too much attention to reviews and don’t buy mediocre-good games or based on their instincts.

12. sh4dow

You know… I’ve been saying that for about two years now but… still I’m just as sick reading about people whining about this generation being too long as I am sick reading about people whining about how it should go on forever.

13. OlderGamer

I am loving my new console.

I think he is right. The market needs some new hardware to get excited about. That is the way it works. I got my WiiU and am extremly excited about it. Been loving the hell out of it. that doesn’t mean I don’t still use my xb360, but I really honestly, almost feel giddy when I fire up the WiiU.

It isn’t graphics, it isn’t raw powerful hardware, it isn’t even the franchises, it is really hard to put it a finger on it. The gamepad is a huge deal. But it is more the fact that I am not playing a XB360 or PS3, instead I am playing a new and different system. One I haven’t grown tired of. Very hard to put it into words. But the inner gamer in me is loving it.

I think the industry needs that. I am going to buy a lot of games for my new system. I just hope that subsiquent hardware cycles don’t last 7-10 years. It is just too damn long inbetween that new hardware excitment.

14. zinc

He’s right, but not for the right reason. New hardware gets us more excited than new ip’s.

We’re a lot more likely to fool ourselves into thinking the *innovative new space marine shooter* is precisely that, as long as we’re buying it for our new console.

15. OlderGamer

^^Yes, to a degree. That is what I am feeling, I am excited not because it is a new game, but because it is a new game for my new system. New hardware just drives excitment.