Steam saw 6 million users active at once over weekend

Monday, 26th November 2012 12:07 GMT By Dave Cook

Steam saw six million users logged in at the same time over the weekend, helped along by Steam’s current sale. The last time Valve’s marketplace hit this kind of tally was in January when it hit five million concurrent users. Get the facts below.

Kotaku took the above snap of Steam’s weekend activity, in which over six million people were logged into the service concurrently. They may not have all been playing at the same time, but the figure is impressive regardless.

File this away in the ‘PC gaming is not dead you twonk’ ammo stash for the next time someone gives you crap for playing PC titles.

Are you enjoying the Steam sale? Bought anything awesome? Let us know below.

1. Talkar

Nope, haven’t bought a single thing during the sale. I’ve just been playing Hitman. But of course i was forced to be online on Steam to do so -.-’

2. OwnedWhenStoned

So far…

Torchlight 2
    Dishonoured
    Saints Row superpack thing

I need to stop.

3. GrimRita

@1 If it wasn’t for Steam, PC gaming WOULD be dead. The publishers tried their best to kill it, Microsoft did with Vista but thank god Steam came along and rescued it.

With all this talk of next gen, it looks like PC Gaming will remain the best format for everything. I have spent a fortune on steam with various games and have zero problems in using it and supporting the platform since I get so much back.

Example – the cloud service where you can redownload any of your games in simply invaluable and the sales are probably what everyone waits for because they really offer superb value on new and old titles. Company of Heroes for like £2 last year.. TWO POUNDS?!!!

4. Talkar

^You are presenting your case as it is a fact.
    I see no proof that PC gaming would be dead.
    But the fact that people are praising a DRM system that doesn’t work properly, and is about as bad the always online ones, since the offline mode only works about half the time. Well i’m just surprised people love it so much. Personally i prefer my games DRM free, especially since Steam doesn’t even have a damn phone number i can call on my weekly issues with the DRM.

5. freedoms_stain

@4, weekly issues? I’ve been using Steam since Half-Life 2 came out and I don’t think I’ve ever had 1 issue with the platform itself.

6. silkvg247

So far got Walking dead.. tempted by dishonored.. should I?

7. OwnedWhenStoned

@4: I’ve only had 2 issues with the platform itself in the entire time I’ve used it (also since HL2).

One was the EU Login issue last year and the other one was caused by my Steam login being in the UK but me living in Germany now. And they fixed that within 24 hours.

I’m not saying the system is perfect (I would also rather play with no DRM) but I think it’s the best system out there.

And I’m addicted to the sales.

8. Talkar

The most common one i have is “Steam servers are too busy” or “The application is already running” With Hitman i had to wait 4 hours before it would launch the game. With Borderlands 2, it refused my CD-Key for about 3 hours and with XCOM the overlay would crash my game, so i had to disable the overlay for the game.

9. OwnedWhenStoned

@6: I haven’t played it much but like it so far.

What about the Walking Dead? Any good?

10. OwnedWhenStoned

Interesting. I have XCOM and Borderlands 2 and haven’t had any issues at all.

11. boynl

I bought The Walking Dead and it won’t launch, i hope they will fix it or refund my money.
    I did so many things to fix but nothing did work, so if some ppl knows how to fix, just say it.

12. GrimRita

@4 it is a fact. Almost every single retailer in the UK stopped selling PC games, only the low budget tat, WoW and The Sims. YAWN

Steam has allowed smaller Indies to self publish and these issues you speak of I have never experienced.

And if you are having ‘weekly’ issues, I suggest you get some help on the forum and actually address the root cause because it most certainly isn’t client side.

13. Talkar

That still doesn’t prove anything.
    And i have contacted the steam support, but since there is only email and i can call them, which should be a requirement for a company with as much revenue as they have. My email either get ignored or get generic answers, such as “Please verify your cache” Or update my drivers, etc.
    The bottomline is, Steam is a hassle and i would rather live in a world where i wasn’t forced to use a DRM system which is more prone to errors than GFWL.

14. DSB

Steam is a hassle? Lol. There’s someone who never gamed in the 90′s.

I’d highly recommend The Walking Dead. It may not have redeemed Telltale from rehashing those Lucas Arts games in terrible form, but I personally think it’s better than the show.

15. NinjaMidget

@6 + 9

Definitely go for the walking dead, cracking game narrative indeed!

Have to agree with DSB on PC gaming in the 90′s as well. Steam makes it all a doddle compared to that!