Elite Dangerous: author starts own Kickstarter to write book tie-in

Monday, 26th November 2012 10:44 GMT By Dave Cook

Elite: Dangerous is doing big guns on Kickstarter at the time of writing, with £584,968
raised towards Frontier’s £1,250,000 goal. One of the top funding tiers costs £4,500 and lets backers write part of the game’s fiction. Enthusiastic writer Drew Wagar has started his own Kickstarter to raise the money. Get the facts below.

It might sound mad, but Wagar’s Kickstarter project can be found here, and if successful will become a full novella called Elite: Reclamation. At the time of writing he has raised £2,551 of the £4,500 needed to pay for his Elite: Dangerous pledge.

A published author by trade, Wagar assures fans that he’s the man for the job in his mission statement, “I can write, I can edit, I know folks who can proof-read. I’m a published author, I know what it takes to get a book to market; the rigorous plotting, characterisation, dialogue fine-tuning, scene setting, pace and narrative drive.

“More importantly I’m an enormous fan of Elite. I started playing back in 1984 when I got Elite for Christmas as a bright eyed 13 year old. I know my Zieman deflector shields from my Irrikon Thru-space drives. You’ll have seen the Tionisla Orbital graveyard in the video. I *really* know this stuff. You can trust me on this one.”

Wagar hopes that Elite: Reclamation will be between 250-350 pages in length, and stresses that backing Frontier’s game through official channels is the only way he can secure the rights to the Elite licence needed to write his book.

The author claims that his previously published books have been downloaded over 100,000 times vie eBook storefronts, and that the Elite franchise will be in safe hands if he’s successful. If you believe in him, you can pledge to his cause here.

VG247 interviewed Elite creator David Braben about his new project last week. Check out what he had to say about the game’s galaxy, multiplayer and more here:

Thanks PCGamesN.

1. Mike

How about fuck off?

(not you, Dave)

2. Dave Cook

Hah :D

3. RandomTiger

Crazy, kickstarter will take its cut twice if hes successful.

4. RandomTiger

Also what happens if the book kickstarter is successful and the game is not. Edit: Hes covered this issue.

5. kevinw729

I have to agree – the dependance on a ‘multi’ KS seems to negate the whole scope of the contract, the Elite team should have waited for the game to have succeeded before undertaking branding KS. Some would say that the book should have been part of the original request for cloud sourcing?

I really feel some transparency is needed urgently – we need to know what was the reason why a number of publishers approached turned down any interest in investing in this concept, before they rushed to KS for funding? Also I need to know if it is true that they will have to pay a royalty to a third party who owns the Elite brand now?

The danger is that with all the good intention of KS -there is room for some good old fashion business incompetence. And the last thing we need is the media reporting failure after failure of good ideas saddled with poor management and direction.

6. tsh

There are 2 other writers also running crowdsource projects:
    The Cost of Exploration – An Elite: Dangerous World Book from Commander Boz @ http://kck.st/Safgpm
    Elite:Dangerous – The Novel from Vasileios Kalampakas @ http://igg.me/p/278736?a=1791282

edit: these two ‘publishers’ are independent writers, the one linked above again does not have any personal access to funding to secure the rights for the Elite tie-in. Why not cut out the publishers all round?

7. Liqua

@Kevinw729 – The Elite KS pledge level of £4500 buys you the rights to have any book published using the Elite branding – there will be no royalties involved. If the Elite KS does not reach the goal, but the book does, then the Elite franchise will sell a license to the author at a reduced rate.

As for the the game itself – back in ’84 Elite was shipped with a novella entitled “The Dark Wheel” and with the new 2014 Elite, depending upon your pledge level, you can get a copy of an authorised sequel.

I am not totally convinced by the KS project funding a KS project, but the author at least seems genuine in his interest in Elite (which is where my pledge lies with the game) and should the goal be met, as well as Elites, then in all likelyhood the book will be produced for free. I can’t see it selling a lot of copies (thousands instead of millions) meaning any income from the book will barely pay for the authors time.

End result – this is one way in which a fan of Elite can help fund his passion (the game) by using his skill (writing)

Time will tell what the end result will be but I have confidence in both projects pulling through.

@RandomTiger – Yes, KS will get a double helping of fees which I am sure the author has taken into account and any shortfall will be made up by him.

8. John H

Hi

There is a third crowd sourcing attempt to fund an official Elite Novel. It is on Indiegogo and can be found here:

There will be a big update in the coming days. The story is already plotted out so you can see exactly what you will be helping to support.

thanks