Borderlands 2 Wii U not happening due to lack of ‘OMG’ features

Monday, 26th November 2012 14:44 GMT By Dave Cook

Borderlands 2 developer Gearbox Software isn’t planning on bringing its RPG-shooter to Wii U, as it just couldn’t come up with any killer GamePad features that would warrant a port. Aliens: Colonial Marines on the other hand has plenty. Randy Pitchford has discussed his decision in a new interview. Get the quotes below.

Speaking with GamesMaster – as reported by NintendoEverything – Pitchford explained, “We get asked if there is going to be a Wii U version of Borderlands, and the reason why there’s not is because we couldn’t think of a natural, obvious, ‘OMG, I want that for what the Wii U brings to the table’ feature.”

However, Pitchford feels that Aliens: Colonial Marines is a better fit due to the game’s chilling motion scanner device, as seen in James Cameron’s iconic movie. It’s a creepy device that should feel right at home on Nintendo’s controller.

“But with Aliens, the first thing we thought was ‘Holy shit, I can have a motion controller in my hands!’ When it’s there in my lap it feels like I’m part of the movie.”

It makes sense that Pitchford wouldn’t want to tarnish Borderlands 2 by releasing a shoddy port just for the hell of it, because as the original Wii showed, the torrent of lousy ports with crap motion gimmicks grew old rather fast.

Thanks Nintendo Life.

1. deathm00n

But this makes me worry about something, couldn’t they just make a game that just ignore the second screen? I mean, it’s still a controller, it can work without the screen being used. Are we going to see more of this in the future and end up with only games that require a second screen to be played?

2. DrDamn

Most devs will do that – I think it’s more the integrity of this dev in particular which is making them think like this. I can’t think of a game which can’t use the second screen in some small way – even if it’s simply to be remote play or for a map. Borderlands 2 could do both of those – and be better for it – but if it’s not exciting enough for the dev then that’s their prerogative.

3. OlderGamer

I don’t think the install base is large enough to make porting worth while. I don’t think it has anything to do with a second screen or not. The only thing I can add is that after playing a few games with the WiiU gamepad, it is going to be my choice for games. I really like it. Going back is going to be tough. Kind of like getting used a second tumb stick(for camera controls etc) and then playing the same game without it. Sure you can get a bottun to snap the cam behind your char, but it would feel like something is missing.

Prolly sounds like a copout but I don’t care too much about graphics. If I did, I would only play on my PC(which is already ahead of what MS/Sony will offer next gen). Graphics only take you so far, nice to look at, but you can’t play them. The WiiU gamepad on the other hand, is an amazing gameplay enhancment, imo.

Borderlands2 could have used it for simple inventory management. That alone would have been nice, touch screen inventory control.

In truth, I don’t think pubs want to bring their big guns to WiiU. Splitting their audiances between Sony and MS was bad enough, why third them between three consoles? Everyone is going to look for WiiU for quick cash ins, while holding onto the big stuff for MS(and Sony) next gen. I don’t think anything chnages. MS will prolly still have the lead platform. Sony and WiiU will get quick ports. Same as last gen really.

I expect a whole parade of devs/pubs coming out and saying they are leary or hesitant to suport WiiU. I think they will say the samething about PS4 too. Reaching as much of your audiance with one copy of a game is better then splitting that same number of audiance between two and three different platforms.

No worries, I bought my WiiU for Nintendo games. And I love it.

4. RandomTiger

Lol, Borderlands would be ideal, you could have the map and all your stats, quest details etc. You could do all kinds of stuff. I reckon they just don’t see enough sales for it to be worth it for this game for whatever reason. Perhaps they cant be bothered to do all the online stuff with Nintendo.

If the system was powerful enough you could run it 2 player, one person on each screen, or (and this is well beyond the power of a wiiu) you could have 3 or 4 people in the same game in the same room. Two on their own respective pads screens and 2 splitscreen on the TV.

5. jldoom

@1 Yeah, that’s what I was thinking they’d end up doing as well.

And @3 I completely agree, If I end up purchasing a WiiU it would definitely just be for Nintendo games, more so than the other games that usually come out on all platforms. Just waiting for more killer games to come out before I give in and buy it. I haven’t played a Metroid Game since Gamecube.