Dizzy Returns Kickstarter intends to reboot classic franchise

Friday, 23rd November 2012 10:12 GMT By Nick Akerman

Gaming icons of the current generation step aside. Philip and Andrew Oliver, creators of long lost Codemasters hero Dizzy, are calling on fans to help fund an overdue return through Kickstarter.

The title, simply named ‘Dizzy Returns’, will be produced for iOS by developer Blitz Games.

“It’s been 20 years since the last game in the original series (Crystal Kingdom Dizzy) and he’s not been seen in a new adventure since then. But with your help we can set that right!,” says the Kickstarter page.

“We’ve always believed in creating games that are fun, challenging and rewarding, and we’ve carried those principles through into everything that our company, Blitz Games Studios, has created since.”

“Our aim is not to just reboot an old Dizzy game though. We want to stay true to the spirit and core ideals of the original series, whilst utilising the platforms, technology and resources we now have at our disposal. We believe that Dizzy Returns is a perfect fit for mobile gaming, and touch screen technology obviously means that we can experiment with and implement new mechanics and new ways of playing in Dizzy Returns.”

Here’s a direct message from the Oliver twins:

Dizzy Returns needs a total of £350,000 to succeed. Are you going to stump up the cash to make this happen?

1. friendlydave

I loved these games as a kid, I was given the Fantastic Dizzy and Cosmic Spacehead bundle on the Megadrive and played the hell out of it. Hopefully this does well!

2. Stardog

Treasure Island Dizzy was one of the first games I ever played…

3. stevenhiggster

Never been anywhere near Kickstarter before, but for Dizzy, I’m in! The Dizzy games were about all I played on my C64 all those moons ago!

4. The_Red

Quick! Someone call Yahtzee (Ben Croshaw).

5. Deacon

Fond memories for sure! it’ll be a shame though if this only comes to iOS (if it happens).

Nostalgia aside, the Dizzy games were all about infuriating jumps, rolling too damn far when you landed from said jump, and trying to figure out puzzles and item uses. Sadly I doubt even a modern reboot would re-kindle my love for the series.

6. Old MacDonald

5: VG247 haven’t read the Kickstarter-page well enough. It’s for PC too (and it’s the PC-version you get for pledging).

7. Ireland Michael

Dizzy pretty much made up my entire gaming life in the 80′s.

I used to own a lovely Amstrad CPC 464, with its 64KB of RAM, mounted cassette loader on the keyboard, and a packaged monitor that outputted such varied colors as green, dark green, bright green, and black green. That was some hardcore technology right there.

Dizzy was pretty much a constant for me, picked up at the local video store for the absolutely ludicrous price of £4.99… sometimes even £5.99! What a rippoff, eh?! I owned almost all of them, bar the one or two that were universal considered shite.

And yet, I’m not sure a revival is such a great idea. It’s been tried before at least twice, and it didn’t work out. It’s a far simpler game from a far simpler time in our hobby.

I’m not entirely sure how you can bring the Dizzy formula into the present. Some things are better left in the past.

8. Sini

350 thousand. pounds. goodluck lol

9. Badger

I played Treasure Island Dizzy on my Amiga and whilst I get the nostalgic feel from it, when I actually think about the gameplay I have to say it probably wasn’t one of my favourites. But saying that I would probably still like to see this game come to fruition. Unfortunately by the looks of their target and the current total, barring some marketing miracle, I don’t think it’s going to make it in time.