Hitman: next game will take ‘fresh perspective’ on Agent 47

Thursday, 22nd November 2012 12:23 GMT By Dave Cook

Hitman: Absolution only just came out this week, but developer IO Interactive is already talking about the next game in its series, currently in development at new studio Square-Enix Montreal, leaving IO free to pursue a mysterious new project. Get the chatter below.

Speaking with OPM, Hitman: Absolution’s director Tore Blystad likened the IP’s move to a new studio to the cyclical format that Call of Duty follows, “It’s like with Treyarch and Infinity Ward.

“You have an IP that has been developed. They will feed off each other, as well as some things that stand out. I think with these big franchises it takes a long time to develop just one game. If you can, work a little bit in parallel at least and help each other out”.

On the nature of the new Hitman project, Blystad continued, “We’ve been talking about these similarities to some of the big movie franchise like Aliens, where everyone’s doing it their own way. Every time someone gets their hands on a franchise they do something different. So rather than doing the same thing again you get another take on the character from a fresh perspective.

“There’s a lot of these problems you encounter with these sort of productions, some of them are really fundamental problems, or they have a big effect on the game – like how you do a mechanic for instance. If you change a mechanic too much then the whole gameplay will be modified”.

However, Blystad is sure that such changes won’t damage the reputation of the franchise, as IO and Square-Enix Montreal wil remain in contact throughout development, “Well there are talks between us and of course it has to be somewhat in sync but it’s the first time you could say Hitman has gone out of the house.

“Luckily it’s with someone we know. Some of the key developers came from IO and have been working on previous games so it’s not like it’s in completely new hands”.

Finally, Blystad confirmed that IO is moving on to a new project, but wouldn’t be moved on what it is.

What’s your take on a new studio getting to grips with the Hitman IP? Let us know below.

1. Sini

Absolution looks fucking gorgeous on pc @ ultra settings. They should have at least retained the art director.
    Blood Money 2 it is not though, Absolution is inferior yet playable.

#1 1 year ago
  2. K-V-C

I havnt got this game yet but cant wait but alot of reviewers are saying that absolution isint the best hitman because it strayed from the previous hitman games !!! i hope they still keep the open and big massive levels ehich makes so brilliant in the first place

#2 1 year ago
  3. Erthazus

It’s better then the second though, Bloodmoney was almost a perfection.

#3 1 year ago
  4. monkeygourmet

What is it with companies talking about there next game days after releasing their current offering?

Seems to be happening a lot at the mo.

#4 1 year ago
  5. SameeR_Fisher

Personally like that, I can’t get enough of Stealth, but before the new Hitman comes, I hope they release an HD Collection.

I wish them the best of luck.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Agt_Pendergast

I think Contract mode makes up for some of the shortcomings of the campaign. Enemies recognizing me from across the room as not one of their own when I’m wearing a disguise is kinda annoying, especially if I haven’t raised any alarms or anything.

#6 1 year ago
  7. SameeR_Fisher

oh and I think IO maybe working on Kane & Lynch 3 :D

#7 1 year ago
  8. xXEspada06Xx

I’ve been a Hitman fan since Hitman: Silent Assassin and played all the Hitman series.

Just finished Hitman: Absolution on Normal today. It’s the best Hitman game I’ve played to date.

As long it contains the Hitman game elements and improved on, It’s fine to me.

I wonder whats the new project. Maybe like what @7 SameeR_Fisher said about Kane and Lynch or could it be a sequel to Freedom Fighters!!!?

#8 1 year ago