Godus Kickstarter: tearful Molyneux concerned about over-promising

Thursday, 22nd November 2012 13:07 GMT By Dave Cook

Peter Molyneux’s studio 22 Cans launched a Kickstarter page for what is supposedly its one and only game release. It’s a god sim called Godus that attempts to recreate and improve on the foundation laid by Molyneux’s 1989 PC title Populous. However, a tearful Molyneux has revealed that he’s concerned that Curiosity’s server issues have created distrust among gamers. More below.

Speaking with RPS, an emotional Molyneux stressed that he understands caution over promises made on his Godus Kickstarter page, based on the shaky launch of Curiosity – something he referred to as “a disaster.”

“I can’t blame people for not believing. I know I’ve said things. I wish I could not say them, I guess. I just… I still believe so much.

“I swore that when we started 22 Cans that we wouldn’t over-promise, and I guess through stupid mistakes we have. I have to live by those. If it means that the project doesn’t get Kickstarted, if it means that people use the Kickstarter to vent their frustrations, then I guess I have to live by that.”

Curiosity has indeed been riddled with problems since it launched a fortnight ago, causing players to lose coins, crash out of the game and experience lag. Molyneux responded at the time by explaining to MCV, “We were not prepared for the numbers that hit our app. I can be as proud as I like about how hard people have worked and how quickly they’ve implemented a completely new server system – it’s miraculous – but at the end of the day I have to put my hand on my heart and say ‘it’s not good enough’. And it isn’t good enough.”

Will these shortcomings and promises deter you from Molyneux’s Godus Kickstarter? It does promise to reinvent the god game after all. Decide for yourself over on the Godus Kickstarter page.

1. bitsnark

Nah, what’s created distrust among gamers Pete is your alarming frequency in over-promising and under-delivering over the years.

The server issues with Curiosity are just a sad footnote against the above.

2. G1GAHURTZ

This guy has some serious issues.

What a clown.

3. Ercarret

If you won’t support someone like Molyneux, what’s the point of … well, anything? Yes, he tend to overpromise, but that’s the very reason for why people should support him! I certainly do. He thinks big and what he delivers, while perhaps not quite as big as what he promised, is still so much more interesting than what most other companies produce. I mean: Populous, Syndicate, Theme Park, Dungeon Keeper, Black & White and Fable. That’s one hell of a track record.

4. onlineatron

Want to vent your pent up vitriol? Then watch Geordie Shore. DO NOT attack a man who has, to my knowledge, never put out a sincerely BAD game. A man who maintains undiluted positivity in an industry full of snark, an industry we claim to adore.

Molyneux’s goals are beyond his reach, sure, but it’s never anything less than exciting to watch him try

5. Dave Cook

I like Molyneux and I think the industry needs more big dreamers like him, and less ‘design by committee’ cynics. People say they he never lives up to expectation, but did you really want acorns that fall off trees and grow in Fable 2? Did that omission hurt you personally in the full game?

If you don’t want to give the man money then don’t. Simple as.

6. Telepathic.Geometry

In fairness Dave, despite the fact that listening to PM talk tonnes of bullshit really gets on my nerves, I am aware that he is probably a nice guy. But just because he’s a nice guy, and you journos have probably met him and had a lovely chat, there’s no way you can expect any of us to believe anything he says any more, he always over-promises, exaggerates and outright lies. There’s no way as an investor you could believe anything he says.

7. Bomba Luigi

Populous was Awesome, but all the Stuff Pete done the last Years was… well, disapointing. I don’t have enough Trust in this Man right now to give him my Money just on Faith.
    But if the Game gets done, and when its great, he can have my Money.

8. G1GAHURTZ

@6:

9. Cobra951

@5:

I agree, down to your last line. Populous and the Fable series (yes, I liked all of it, even if less than I had wished) earned him his chops. But everything he says I take with a grain of salt. I will not preorder or help Kickstart anything he does.

10. Dave Cook

@6 Oh yeah I get that don’t get me wrong, but I’m personally not blind to the dangers of lofty promises. It often happens in gaming and we have to be seen as seeing right through it.

11. AmiralPatate

Is there a single game Molyneux hasn’t sell as revolutionary?

12. DSB

@3 I would call rose tinted glasses on that.

As you mention, most of his best games are ancient history, and in terms of Black and White, the game we got was a shadow of the game he promised.

His sheer boasting of what would go into it stands as one of the biggest travesties in videogame history.

What you can’t fault is his passon for the medium, which just makes it even stranger that he keeps starting rather promising studios and selling them to soulless publishers, who immediately proceed to run them into the ground.

What Molyneux needs is an excellent project coordinator to keep his projects on track, a vigilant PR rep to keep his mouth ditto, and a business manager with enough restraint to keep him from selling for the third time.

13. uomoartificiale

@12 but then he would not be Molyneux anymore :D

Seriously though, even his fake doppleganger Molydeaux has ended being a more reliable and trustworthy character: http://www.whatwouldmolydeux.com/

14. Uncontested

His problem is he got involved with publishers. Fable 1 was such an amazing game even if it didn’t meet everyones preconceived notions about it. I didn’t know a thing about it coming into the game and loved it. Only afterwards did I find out about all the supposed promises he had made and couldn’t deliver, still loved the game tho. I’ll wait and see with this, just like I did with Star Citizen and any other Kickstarter I back.

15. Ercarret

@12: Oh, absolutely. While I’ve liked the Fable games and I think he (and Lionhead) did some great things with them, there’s no denying that he hasn’t really worked his ol’ magic during this generation of consoles. So yeah, rose tinted glasses for sure. I’m well aware of that. :)

However, I don’t see how that necessarily changes things. In my experience, he has always been best when independent and I didn’t really like it when Lionhead was bought by Microsoft. He doesn’t really mesh well with big publishers, and thus some lacklustre years. But now he’s out! Now he’s independent again, and my hopes are restored!

@13: Molydeux is awesome! :D

16. YoungZer0

What i never liked about Molyneux is all his talk about emotions. So far i’ve yet to feel anything besides fun. Most of his games simply fail to spark any other emotions. I never felt sad whenever someone died in the game. The games tone was always too light. He never quite got the sad parts right.

17. Beta

I like Molyneux, sure he over promises sometimes and I take what he says with a hefty pinch of salt.

But I like his enthusiasm and passion for what he does and I’m more than happy to be a partner of this Kickstarter :)

18. GwynbleiddiuM

All my dream kickstarters are funded beyond expectations, so don’t blame me for not giving a rat’s arse about what Molyneux promise and never delivers. Last time I had fun with a Molyneux game was first Fable which also was over-hyped. Besides, I never liked being God, it’s too much responsibility, I might end up like the one most people worship, giving up and close the shop.