DICE working on non-Battlefield projects, doesn’t want to be one trick pony

Wednesday, 21st November 2012 10:53 GMT By Dave Cook

DICE has revealed that it doesn’t “want to become a Battlefield factory”, according to EA Games vice-president Patrick Soderlund. The studio has confirmed it is working on non-Battlefield projects. Commence Mirror’s Edge 2 speculation…now.

As part of an OXM interview, Soderlund was asked if the success and security brought by the Battlefield franchise gives DICE license to tackle riskier prospects like Mirror’s Edge and other new IP, to which he replied, “Well it depends, right? Maybe it is and maybe it isn’t. It’s also important for us – the DICE guys are roughly 300 people in the Stockholm studio; not all of them are working on Battlefield things, and that’s intentional, because we don’t want to become a Battlefield factory.”

On the dangers of becoming a one-IP production line, Soderlund continued, “The minute we start saying ‘you’re going to make a Battlefield game for the rest of your life’, they’re going to go some place else.

“So for them to make great Battlefield games there need to be other things for them to do as well. That’s why we have people who move around quite a bit. And then obviously we have a boatload of people that just want to make Battlefield because they love it.”

Comparing DICE to EA stable-mate Visceral Games, Soderlund added, “Same thing with the team in San Francisco that are making Dead Space. It’s a stunning team and they’re passionate about what they do, and they love making Dead Space. Then the answer’s ‘well, then make Dead Space’. Then we have to figure out how to sell it and make it successful.”

Battlefield 4 is the next game in DICE’s shooter franchise, due before March 2014. What else could it be working on then? Would you buy a second Mirror’s Edge title? What would it look like or involve ideally? Let us know what you think below.

Thanks Eurogamer.

1. JungleJack

Plain and simple what they must do. They need to go back to the roots and create another pinball-game.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Dave Cook

@1 LOVED their Amiga pinball titles.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Ireland Michael

A lot of people seem to forget how deeply involved DICE is in the development of EA’s games in general. They’re the ones responsible for the engine that’s being used in almost every single game that EA makes, and they’ve done a collaborative work in their games as well.

Battlefield never has been the only thing they do, at any point.

#3 1 year ago
  4. BraveArse

What they need to do is a spiritual follow up to RSC2. Well, that’s what I need them to do anyway.

#4 1 year ago
  5. JungleJack

@2, and still do Dave. Pinball Fantasy is still played weekly at my house. Stones and Bones FTW.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Dave Cook

@5 love it. I wish I had an Amiga. I may eBay a 500 one day.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Deacon

@3 nobody said it was the only thing they do, just that they ‘don’t want to become a Battlefield factory’.

+1 on the love for Pinball Dreams & Fantasies! :)

#7 1 year ago
  8. GwynbleiddiuM

@Dave, or you could download WINUAE like the rest of us. :P

#8 1 year ago
  9. Dave Cook

@8 Oh I don’t know. I’m a sucker for my old consoles ;)

#9 1 year ago
  10. Moonwalker1982

Rallisport Challenge 3.

#10 1 year ago
  11. DSB

@3 I don’t know about that.

There’s a big difference between consulting other studios on using your engine, and actually making a game that’s different than the shooters you keep grinding out.

I don’t know how a AAA dev thinks, and I probably have more of an indie sensibility anyway, but being moved from one assembly line to the other isn’t my idea of being inspired, and I think it’s interesting that DICE has waved goodbye to some of their key developers in recent times.

It would be crazy to say that they’ve had any kind of repertoire in the last five years. Beyond Mirror’s Edge, it’s all Battlefield, all the time.

#11 1 year ago
  12. zinc

I would like them to make a military FPS, set in contemporary times, with a focus on small maps, no vehicles, infantry fighting and at 60fps.

The main gimmick being the ability to breach walls, or doors, anywhere, if you have the correct ordinance.

Being trapped in a CoD style map, running & gunning as the scenery & cover gets destroyed all around would be a blast :-D

#12 1 year ago