Nintendo looking to upgrade sluggish Wii U

Tuesday, 20th November 2012 00:45 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Nintendo of America has acknowledged complaints regarding the slow pace of starting and navigating the Wii U.

“We are aware that users are experiencing load times when they launch or switch between applications,” the company said in the General Info section of Nintendo Support’s Wii U section.

“We are exploring ways to enhance features for consumers’ overall experience.”

There’s only one other entry touching on problematic encounters with the new hardware, in the Troubleshootingsection.

“Instances of system freezing are rare and unlikely to occur,” Nintendo claims, but advises the following steps to correct a crash or freeze:

• Reset your system by unplugging it from the wall for ten seconds.
  • Ensure your system is kept current with available system updates.
  • If additional assistance is needed, please contact us at 1-800-255-3700.

Thanks, GoNintendo.

1. G1GAHURTZ

Slow and sluggish, eh?

It must be really slow, since the PS360 can take one or two seconds to do simple stuff like send a game invite, or open up a message, but people don’t really complain.

If the WiiU is slower than that, then I think that people might well be justified in wondering if it’s actually a step backwards/sideways, rather than forwards.

2. DrDamn

With a dedicated 1Gb of memory for it the OS doesn’t have the excuses a PS3 or 360 has either. It’s disappointing and something which will hopefully improve a lot over time.

3. OlderGamer

It doesn’t mean anything, cause you would expect me to say this, but the WiiU isn’t slow. I don’t notice any delays or laging. The games load fast, the apps load at different speeds, depends on what one you are using(I use XBox Music and it takes ages to boot up, compared to some other apps). So I think it depends on what your doing.

But if someone wants to make a claim like “WiiU is slower then slow”, no one can stop them. And the only folks that will counter the claim are just quickly labeled fanboys. The system isn’t slow.

However freezing and locking are bad and imo, different issues. No excuses for that. Things need to work, period. While I haven’t experienced any freezing, it would suck if someone does. One thing I can say is that I haven’t had to mandatory install games and I have yet to see a red ring ;)

4. Dragon246

@OG
    You sure you haven’t received the super special OG WiiU edition that I ordered. I never received it :P

5. OlderGamer

It sometimes seems like it Dragon, lol. My wife and I read the reviews and the forums and both wonder what the hell these people are talking about. We LOVE our WiiU. My wife is playing Epic Mickey 2 right now with her brother and enjoying it a lot. The game got 2/10 review score. And while not a perfect game, it isn’t trash either, just standard 3D platformer with Disney settings/features. Same type of thing with the system.

The raw power isn’t staggering, but the GamePad is amazing. And the graphic power is on par and sometimes ahead of where the PS3 and ofc xb360 are at. It is what it is. I love the system. I think even if I wasn’t a Nintendo fan, I would like the system. But I prolly look for different things out of a game system then most folks do.

6. DrDamn

There has to be something in it for Nintendo to acknowledge and respond, however both other systems also have their tortoise moments too. So its not like its just them. As mentioned above they have the capacity to do something about it with the huge amount of memory reserved for the OS.

7. mr_krunchi

@OlderGamer There is definitely a ton of lag when it comes to launching applications and I’m not a Nintendo fanboy. Now, you refer to launching apps from the homescreen, but also consider that it takes about 10-15 seconds for Miiverse, notifications, and friends lists to load while in the game. With the lack of sending game invites in the system, its already frustrating enough to try and access the same features of the xbox guide or ps home. Making it super slow to try and load my friends list or send a message doesn’t help at all.

8. OlderGamer

Just a guess, but are you playing CoD?

I don’t play that game. Not yet anyways, I have it on my Gamefly que. I haven’t played anything online outside of a few random matches in Sonic Racing. And that went really well.

The Miiverse stuff takes a couple of seconds for me, at most. It is no different then the menues on my xb360. Like I said, I don’t know what folks are carrying on about. Seems like it must be something or there wouldn’t be an issue being talked about. I just haven’t experienced anything remotly close to being an inconvence let alone a problem.

9. G1GAHURTZ

“What bothers me more, which doesn’t exactly relate to this post, but still relevant, is the inability to access any of the home features while playing online. Its absolutely devastating that I can’t message friends while in an online match. I don’t know how the hell I’m supposed to play with any of them.”

If this is true, then it’s ridiculous.

10. OlderGamer

It isn’t G1GA, unless I am misunderstanding something. I can get to MiiVerse and menu/social features w/o closing the software/game I am running. I do not know if that is different for each game. Maybe the game he is playing is what is making the difference. I can only speak on what I have played. I haven’t played Blops2 yet.