DMC: Devil May Cry demo out now on Xbox 360, PS3 tomorrow

Tuesday, 20th November 2012 11:34 GMT By Dave Cook

DMC: Devil May Cry has received a two level demo from Ninja Theory and Capcom, giving naysayers the chance to actually play the thing instead of complaining about fashion and hair cuts. Details below.

Last week VG247 reported that the demo would hit Xbox Live from today, and you can get playing it right now. PS3 users will get the same demo at some point tomorrow.

The demo consists of two missions and a big boss battle that one OXM writer calls, “the most foul-mouthed boss I’ve ever encountered.”

Nice. If you play the demo let us know what you think. Capcom on the other hand told us that you’ll forgive the change in Dante’s style once you sit down and play it. Check out our interview here:

1. TerraZet

“complaining about fashion and hair cuts” Oh shut the fuck up with this, if you really think its about the hair and fashion anymore then you’re a bigger moron than those supporting this shitty, unnecessary game.

Why are you idiots defending this game to hell and bac- Oh yeah, Capcoms no doubt already bought yours and loads of others opinions.

2. Dave Cook

@1 “Oh yeah, Capcoms no doubt already bought yours and loads of others opinions.”

Incorrect. I just like to give games the benefit of the doubt until – you know – I’ve actually played them. Because I don’t think that looks are everything, and you should too.

The game may end up being shit. But at least I’ll give it a try.

3. daytripper

Just tried the demo, really liked it, will probably buy first week :-)

4. Gadzooks!

RageLOL.

Looking forward to trying it. Even though I’ve hated every game Ninja Theory have made, I still love their Just Add Monsters output, namely Kungfu Chaos.

5. polygem

@1: if anything this is an unnecessary comment…DmC is a great franchise with tons of bad haircuts and a strange taste in fashion and music. now beat it punk.

6. Ireland Michael

Downloading now.

7. Ristas

@ 1

Yeah, it IS weird. All the “fans” hate the game but everybody who got the chance to actually play the game liked it. Man, i wonder…why could that be?

8. Da Man

Ahahaha!

9. Moonwalker1982

While i DO understand the anger from the hardcore fans about the change of looks, just look at the rage from fans with Cole from inFamous, i also do think they should give it a chance.

10. DrDamn

And the rage when they kept making Lara’s breasts bigger … Oh wait, no there was none.

11. monkeygourmet

My main fanboy rage from them calling this a reboot.

It’s just a re-skin at best.

They had a chance to do something really unique with the lore. I was hoping for a more open world with elements of DMC’s combat in that. Maybe exploration and levelling up.

Kind of like a cooler Zelda or Darksiders.

Then Capcom could have been left with continuing the original style should they wish too.

Instead, what they gave us was exactly the same game again and have tried to pass it as new.

Lazy, very Lazy.

12. YoungZer0

@1: It’s quite amusing to watch the mental break down of you haters.

“NO, I CAN’T BE WRONG, THIS GAME IS SHITE, I KNOW, I’M FROM DA FUTURE! EVERYONE SAYING OTHERWISE IS BEING BOUGHT!”

Really, is that what you think? That Capcom is paying people like me to spread an opinion about the game?

13. MadFingerz

Nothing of that matters if at the end the game is good. A good re-skin is still better than a bad reboot…

Besides, I don’t think it really is the same all over again, you can spot many differences from videos alone. Obviously some stuff has to feel the same or people wouldn’t get why it’s called DMC.

14. ManuOtaku

I did stop playing all the famestar arcade games on the 360, just because i have such a bad haircut , i mean my avatar, theres not haircut there that resembles my own, the same thing with this game for sure :)

15. DreamCleaver

I guess – as usual – it’s too much to ask for a PC demo…

One could argue they actually want people to pirate it just to check if it’s a decent port or not. (Assuming no PC demo is released)

Not to mention, it’s a hassle to buy the game afterwards, as you have to download it again and persuade all the DRM measures to stand down. Requires patience.

16. YoungZer0

@15: You could just buy it and keep playing the pirated version. I know i did this with a few games.

17. Keivz

Only for XBL gold members today. I’ll just wait a day and get the PS3 demo tomorrow.

18. Moonwalker1982

Lol, true. At least it’s alot more realistic for the new Tomb Raider. But it would be kinda similar if they give a beloved iconic character(not sure if Dante can be considered one) a complete restyling. I’d be mad too.

19. DreamCleaver

@16: True. I hope they do release a PC demo. Otherwise I’ll be so very, very sad.

20. Patrick Garratt

Just gave it a quick shot. Seems brilliant to me. Dave’s writing a feature up now.

21. Gheritt White

Downloading now, can’t wait to play it this evening. PLEASE don’t disappoint!

22. Clupula

It’s a lot more than just the haircut and the looks. It’s the personality, it’s the complete disregard for canon. It’s a lot of things.

That said, I will give the demo a shot and if it is the single greatest demo in the history of mankind, I’ll probably pick the game up used one day.

23. YoungZer0

@22: Oh no, please don’t talk about personality. For one Dantes personality has been nothing but shallow. There’s only so much a person can say through ‘cool-sounding’ one-liners. If that’s what you call personality there is still a chance that new Dante might throw in a few one-liners. But from what i’ve seen so far he’s actually capable of having a conversation. And he swears, yes, but that doesn’t define a personality.

And of course it shits on the canon, again, the DMC canon wasn’t good either and it wouldn’t be a reboot if it would follow the canon, now would it?

24. Clupula

I happened to like the DMC canon, actually, and was particularly interested in what Nero’s origins were.

What people forget is that, at one point, this was a prequel and, at first, a lot of us did only have a problem with the look, but the more and more they discussed the game, the more it seemed they had no idea about what the established canon was (for example, the half angel part was first mentioned before this because a reboot, so it would have been one of shittiest retcons they could have possibly have done), so people got more and more pissed about it until eventually, they seemed to figure just straight out making it a reboot was a smarter move.

When this was a prequel, I was actually more willing to give it a chance and see what they had in store. I mean, hey, I could’ve accepted that Dante used to dye his hair black. Did that myself for few years. Not a big deal. But when they started saying that his hair had been black when he was young, no, DMC1 already established that he and Vergil had had white hair as kids. It was just one example of Ninja Theory not “getting it.”

It was the complete disrespect shown towards the series that made longtime fans angry.

25. YoungZer0

So why would they want to call it DmC if they wanted to make it a prequel all along? They didn’t. They said a number of times that it was never intended to be DMC5 but DmC. Capcom backpedaled a few times, talking some nonsense about parallel universe and people still hated it.

The best thing Capcom and NT could do is ignore the “Fans”.

And be angry. Nobody gives a shit. Especially not Capcom. Wanna know why Nero is the way he is? Because he’s Vergil’s son. How do i know this? From some interview. Was it important? Yes. Did Capcom care? No.

Give them the chance of deliver another game that might again introduce us to some new characters instead of answering some questions? No.

It’s your fault for having any interest in the canon. You should already know what to expect from Capcom. They never gave one shit about their stories.

Just look at the mess they call Resident Evil. Look at the canon. It’s terrible. Nothing makes sense.

NT is the best thing that could have happened to this tired franchise.

26. Nowe46

I’m sorry. I’m a long time fan of DMC. I may not be able to tell you everything, but I’ve played all the games and i loved them absolutely loved them. When the new game was announced, i don’t get why everyone was so upset. A new, DMC game after 4-5 years. I was fucking excited. I even liked the fact that his personality and appearance changed, it was a fresh new start and that’s awesome I’ve also played the demo, and my god it is awesome. More than on par with the original fighting styles and in my own opinion in some ways better. I just don’t get why fan or not, you have to be so stupid and trash and burn the game before you even give it a try. Your lucky as hell the game was continued. It’s not often after 4-5 years a game even gets started up again as original canon or a reboot.