UK Charts: Black Ops 2 runs ‘n guns to top spot

Monday, 19th November 2012 09:45 GMT By Dave Cook

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 is the new UK number one. How shocked are you right now, honestly?

Treyarch’s latest blaster is a silly, but rather well put together piece of deafening chaos. It’s also massive with content. So massive in fact we had to split our appraisal down into three separate parts. Check them out here:

The game battered the opposition and is now the biggest launch game of the year, but is only the 4th biggest UK launch of all-time. Time was that each year the new Call of Duty would smash that record. Not so this year. Still, people say that it’s the same old game each year, but we’re still buying it folks.

Here’s the top ten:

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
2. Halo 4
3. FIFA 13
4. Assassin’s Creed
5. Skylanders Giants
6. Need for Speed: Most Wanted
7. Just Dance 4
8. Borderlands 2
9. The Sims 3: Seasons
10. Football Manager 2013

Chart Track has confirmed that Black Ops 2′s launch was much smaller than the original Black Ops’ and both Modern Warfare 2 and 3. It has sold 1.7 million in the UK alone, which is 300,000 less than the original Black Ops. Cheers Eurogamer.

1. woe

Maybe next time you should have the numbers ready at hand before approving of this story.

2. Dave Cook

@1 What? We’ve always done it this way.

3. Ali

To be honest, the series has been stagnating for a while. I finished the game. Loved the campaign but the BO1 has a 10X better one. The zombie mode is suckish and the characters are just lame in it. The multiplayer isn’t that good either.

People expected a change bu it was just your yearly flashy CoD re skinned with futuristic themes. There were a lo of wow moments but none of them was deep enough to earn it some rewards.

I don’t this this is just CoD declining… This is a genre getting stale. I don’t expect BF4 to do any better and it might also become a smaller success than BF3 was.

The problem with this news is that, for years CoD has been hammering everything around it and Activision bragging about its success being on the level of Holywood’s top efforts, made the series. The face of video gaming. So even if the other games released did well, its how CoD did that matter for the perception of gaming success these days.

On the other hand, this is gonna leave some room for other publishers to compete and might be the breakthrough for devs to approach a freer direction for their games.

4. Dave Cook

@3 Yeah it has, totally agree. Although Black Ops 2 multiplayer is awesome. I’m really liking it. I dare say it’s the best yet. But then everyone has their own views on CoD MP. So many factors to consider.

5. viralshag

Best CoD I’ve played. Loving the MP and I haven’t even started with the zombies and SP.

6. tezzer1985

I just want to see what they do next-gen with the series.

Inregards to the sales, not really surprised, over here in the UK both BO2 & Halo 4…haven’t really seen the hype previous games have seen, but at least they are selling which is good.

7. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, best CoD MP for me too, so far.

8. Dave Cook

@7 good session last night bud. Sorry I had to dash off but my mates all piled into their own lobby. We should play again.

9. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, gg man. No problem at all.

I’m up for another session, any time…

10. Dave Cook

@9 Good man, I’m always on, although may have to cut back a little and get some non-VG247 work done in the evenings.

11. zinc

I’ve only been playing the MP… But, yeah, loving it :-)

Really like the pick 10 system, keeps things interesting. My only gripe, is the shotguns are a little weak imo… But the SMG’s make up for it :-)