Sledgehammer hiring for PS3, Xbox 360 Call of Duty title

Monday, 19th November 2012 14:17 GMT By Dave Cook

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 might have only just launched last week, but as you know by now, the production cycle never stops, and MW3 cohorts Sledgehammer Games has posted up a job ad for a new Call of Duty game on PS3 and Xbox 360. Is it the much-rumoured Modern Warfare 4, or something else?

NowGamer reports on the Sledgehammer job, which is for Senior Environment Artist.

The advert was posted on Gamasutra, and a project descriptor reads, “We are actively recruiting top talent for our Call of Duty development team. If you are passionate and driven to do your best work, and have a desire to work on the most successful FPS franchise in the history of video games, please apply online.”

The advert also states that the successful candidate, “Will be expected to create single player and multi-player levels under the direction of the art director and the creative director.” Under the role’s core duties, the studio has also asked that candidates, “Will insure that the level works on all relevant platforms, Xbox 360, PS3.”

It’s no surprised that a new Call of Duty is being developed somewhere right now, and recent rumours suggest that game is Modern Warfare 4.

But with gamers shouting from the rooftops about the need for a new engine and a move to next-gen, the line about Xbox 360 and PS3 might be a sore point for disheartened followers of the series.

Fan fatigue could be setting in already, as suggested by today’s announcement that Black Ops 2 is the new UK number one. Good news for Activision indeed, but the game has sold 1.7 million units so far in the UK, which is lower than MW2, MW3 and 300,000 units below the original Black Ops.

VG247′s own appraisal of the Black Ops 2 campaign said that while it was another slice of enjoyable action flick stupidity, the series is starting to feel like something of a skipping record. What’s your take?

1. Mike W

It seems the UK is smarter than us yanks when it comes this fucking COD trash.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Dave Cook

@1 I love CoD, no lie :)

#2 1 year ago
  3. Moonwalker1982

Oh sure…even more CoD. A new CoD a year is not good enough, why not milk it even more?

#3 1 year ago
  4. zinc

The fact their making it for the PS3/360 would be a sore point, IF I thought new console were close to release.

As it is, I don’t think think we’ll see Sonys or MS next gen till 2014.

But even if I’m wrong & next gen arrives around the time of MW4 (if that’s what this is), it still makes sense for Activision to release it on the PS3/360, as not everyone will upgrade ASAP.

For all we know, their could be a secret team working in a secret bunker, on the secret next-gen CoD.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Erthazus

There will be horses with arcade shooting and stinger?

#5 1 year ago
  6. ManuOtaku

If there was another developer involved in this series besides infinite, trechyard and sledgehammer, i would said that we will have COD every six months, two per year, imagine if they double that number we will be getting a COD every month, no need for more DLC, that will be good in my eyes ;)

#6 1 year ago
  7. sonny

This is getting ridiculous…

I really loved MW1 (SP and MP) and played it a lot.
    I also enjoyed World At War but it already felt wrong that this came out just one year after MW1, which I was still playing then.
    When I played MW2, I began to realize that I do not want a new game (with minor changes) EVERY DAMN YEAR –> That was my last COD game.

Last year I bought BF3, which I love even more than I loved MW1 back then (bigger maps, more tactical MP, better graphics etc.).
    I will hopefully be playing BF3 for at least another year now.

Please ppl, do not support this annual COD milking fest any longer!

#7 1 year ago
  8. zinc

^ I’ll stop buying CoD when a viable & better quality shooter is offered.

#8 1 year ago
  9. G1GAHURTZ

“Please ppl, do not support this annual COD milking fest any longer!”

You mean you want me to stop doing something that I enjoy, just because you don’t like the fact that it’s released on an annual basis?

That’s like me asking everyone to stop going to Dominos’s, because I had too much Pizza yesterday.

How about you just stop buying it, and forget about whether other people do or not?

#9 1 year ago
  10. Dave Cook

@9 Damn right. I love Call of Duty and wish people would stop giving me shit for that fact.

Don’t like it, don’t play it, simple as that.

#10 1 year ago
  11. TheBlackHole

Yearly updates using the same developer is milking a franchise. FIFA, F1, etc.

Taking 2 years, alternating developers and spending eight figures on development to develop a good game is not milking anything.

I don’t think CoD is the second coming, but I enjoy it. Everyone else can go suck a fuck.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Dave Cook

@11 +1

#12 1 year ago
  13. OlderGamer

I know fans of the game won’t be able to see it, but this type of thinking hurts the industry. Period. And it isn’t just CoD, Acti did the samething with GH, TH, and about to start doing the samething with Skylanders. And yes EA does it too. Even platformholders(Sony with UC, GOW, PBP and MS with Gears, Fable, Forza, and Halo and even nintendo to a lesser degree(Why lesser?) because they don’t put out yearly releases)

It is what megapubs do. They raise franchises/brands and ride them into the ground for as long as the ride lasts. But it devalues the game experience.

People will leave the traditional trip A console market looking for fresher, more inovative (and often cheaper) experiences. And they have. Indies are huge today, from Minecraft to Braid. From Mobile to PC.

But again CoD fans will see, even this post, as bitching, whining and tell me I shouldn’t be bothered with a game I don’t enjoy. Fair play, I guess. But there is a real chance that next gen consoles will fail to grow beyond the dedicated core aundiances. And if you don’t believe me, read around. I am certianly not the only one saying it. I am just the one you read all of the time.

Th end result will be less games, bigger names, less choice, less inovation, and less reasons to care. Next gen could well be the first gen that loses audiance.

But hey so long as you can play CoD 17, it is all good.

#13 1 year ago
  14. NocturnalB

Retail game shops are going to start treating CoD games like they do sports games.. They won’t buy one from the previous year.

#14 1 year ago
  15. sonny

@13 +1 Thank you! That was exactly what I was trying to say. It’s not that easy for me as english is not my native language, sorry..

@8,9,10,11
    If you still like it that much, I’m absolutely fine with you buying and playing it guys ^^.
    It’s just that I don’t see what’s so special about it anymore.
    You don’t have to explain yourselves, but could anyone of you maybe tell me what exactly it is, that makes you still buy it every year?

#15 1 year ago
  16. TheBlackHole

“But again CoD fans will see, even this post, as bitching, whining and tell me I shouldn’t be bothered with a game I don’t enjoy.”

Firstly, you’re making assumptions about an audience you’re clearly only addressing a subset of. You know that already though, I think.

The fact is that as gaming grows as an entertainment medium, so will budgets, sales figures and repetition (just look at movies and music). Revenues and profits will increase, and (generally speaking) it will be the most generic, samey, safe-bet titles that bring in the most money. Your FRANCHISES. However, it’s those franchises that ultimately fund the rest of the industry. It’s what allows developers and publishers to fund new, riskier developments in the first place.

Skylanders didn’t start as a safe bet. It was a huge investment and a risky one at that – on a next-to-dead old franchise don’t forget.

Modern Warfare was a risk Acti almost didn’t take, but they believed in the dev’s ability and funded it.

Every big franchise starts as a new, unknown, usually risky development. And if people want more of that once they’ve experienced it, why shouldn’t they be given it?

Consumers will always decide what they want. I don’t care how good a game is ‘artistically’, if it’s not fun, not interesting, not compelling, consumers will leave it be. Equally, if it’s broken, ugly, but fun and interesting, consumers will reward it with support (Minecraft, DayZ etc).

I could go on about this for hours, as this is woefully under-argued, but while I usually appreciate your comments OG, this one seems poorly judged, especially by your standards.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Moonwalker1982

The CoD games give several developer a clear example that you don’t really need to do much and come with new ideas when it comes to game development. There’s no way to deny that. I just hope that won’t be the case eventually though.

#17 1 year ago
  18. matts92

To me this just screeeeaaaams:

Full MW4 developed by Infinity Ward for next-gen / PC.
    &
    Lesser COD title assembled by Sledgehammer for PS3, Xbox 360; relevant platforms.

2013 release for all.

#18 1 year ago
  19. OlderGamer

Well first up, I am not going to be a poster child for anti CoD on this site. If you like the game buy it. That is the way it should work anyways. However:

“Secondly, this generation has spawned more innovation and independent development than any before it. What makes you think that trend will lessen in the future?”

I think you need to seperate a couple of things firstly CoD(and Acti in general, even mega pubs in general) aren’t the samething as “The Industry”. They are part of it and a major force in it. But Acti, EA, MS didn’t make Minecraft, for example. However the constant rehash and bleeding of franchises(like CoD) has created an industry where gamers are hungry and thirsting for creative and frsh gameplay experiences. And that isn’t why Minecraft was made, but it is why millions of gamers are playing it.

So, while some folks like to point out at minecraft exsitance and claim everything is fine, they fail to realize that Minecraft even exsisting(and in its indie form) is creedance that the mega pubs are failing to deliver diverse, inovative and fresh gameplay experiences. And that is bad.

Because as high as CoD has gotten it can not sustain it’self or the industry for the long hual. How is Guitar Hero doing these days? How about Tony Hawk? Keeping a long term brand name viable requires a lot more then yearly rehashes. See what MS did with Forza? Genius. The industry didn’t need another same old formula Forza. Mixing it up is vital. But even mixing it up, there is a high risk of brand fatigue, if the games pop out too frequently. Look at Mario, even mixing in 2D sidescroller with 3D Galaxies with Paper Marios the brand can feel overdone. Samething with NFS.

Sometimes less is more and making an aundiance actual miss your franchise instead of jaming it down their throats is a healthy way of managing things. But of course if it sells…why stop?

Because after time it becomes all about what sells. How many CoD “killers” are out there? How many of them actual out sell CoD? But every time a mega pub(I am looking at you EA) fund another game they hope to knock CoD off of the top of the hill, another game, genere, game type, experiences gets pushed aside infavor of more OMP Shooting. Before long it begins to feel like you have an industry offering the same experiences. And really, you do, within the generes.

So you alienate legions of gamers. Those gamers leave. They leave the trip A space. They land on XBLA, Wii, PSN, 3DS, iOS, Andriod, and PC. So what you end up with with trip A space that contans fewer diverse experiences. CoD still sells, but there is room for fewer games, and fewer generes in that space.

And that is where we get the likes of Minecraft. It is a reminder and a warning to the mega pubs. But sometimes it seems they are too busy cranking out this years version of the CoD Killer to notice.

And trust me Minecraft is only one example, a mainstream high profile example so I used it.

#19 1 year ago
  20. G1GAHURTZ

For the record, Guitar Hero was always an unsustainable product. A fad.

It lasted 5 years. Four under Activision.

CoD has been around since 2003, and is a version of a gaming genre that has been around since the very early 90′s.

The two are not comparable.

#20 1 year ago
  21. OlderGamer

“This ‘my games are worse because game X is too popular’ idea is stupidity, and nothing short of petty envy and jealousy.”

I am sure you feel that way G1GA. Would hold more weight if I was the only feeling the way I do.

#21 1 year ago
  22. zinc

Why is the games industry expected to act differently to, well, EVERY other form of media?

Books & films both follow a simple pattern. If something is successful, it’s milked dry. Then they move on to the next big thing.

And last time I checked, theirs no shortage of innovative, new & or independent films & books being sold next to all the big budget blockbusters.

#22 1 year ago
  23. OlderGamer

Zinc I think it is a flawed comparison. Imagine for a second if hardcover and softcover books didn’t exsist. Imagine if the only way you could read a book was to buy a Kindle and download the book. The book would be dependant on the hardware and vica versa.

Now imagine that Kindle mostly only had a crime novels. Every crime novel you could think of, but only a small offering of anything else, it is after all a closed platform(in this imagination we have set up). If you enjoyed Crime novels, you aren’t seeing much a problem. But what if you, while liking a good Crime novel once in awhile, favor a SciFi book? Would you find enough reasons to own a Kindle and read books there?

Crime novels sell really well, infact, looking at the data, new pubs would be looking for Crime novel authers. After all that is what is selling. And if it gets to a point where the non-crime novel offerings become so small that they nearly don’t exsist and they become pushed aside for the mega selling crime novels…you lose users.

That is the game industry, console trip a side of things. The scope of new trip A experiences is narrowing all of the time. Great if you like Crime Novels(err OMP Shooters or Sports games), but not much else. The power brokers in this space are the mega pubs and the platform holders themself. They control what you play. It is a closed ecosystem and they have the power. Like the Kindle in our example.

But they lose people(the industry has been in decline scince 2008). So instead of staying on Kindle, people start looking for new places to read their books. That is Mobile and PC. The indie games. They have a lot more going for them then just crime novels. Once in awhile one of these indie games hit a major smash, like Minecraft, and the Platform Holders (who now are grasping what I am saying) latch onto it. They understand that there needs to be more then just a few big fish in their pool to keep people coming back. They understand they have to sell more then Crime Novels regaurdless of how well crime novels are selling.

That is about as good as I can do Zinc. I think there definitive differences between the Games industry and other media. If you go to walmart and buy a movies, the manufacter of the DVD player you watch it on doesn’t matter. I can download a song and play it on any number of devices. And more importantly, if I am an auther(and I am btw) I could get my work in front of my audiance any number of ways. Even if no publishing houses want to print me. If need be I can blog the stuff. You Tube is loaded with hopeful artists trying to promote their music and/or films. In those situations there isn’t some all powerful platform holder denying them access. I have recently watched a documentary on indie game development. It had the Minecraft guys, Braid guys, and Fez guys and a few others. They laid out the crap they had to go through when dealing with MicroSoft(mostly). It is amazing anything from folks like them even gets published to begin with.

And that is why Games is different from other media. It is just a different beast. And because, in part, to the intense narrow focus of both brands and experiences that are in the current trip A console space, a lot of support is out there for non(kindle)console gaming. Be it social, mobile, f2p, indie, PC, whatever.

I know to some I must sound like a gloom and doom quake that should have hung up my controlers years ago. That is fine. But I think with age comes wisdom ;)

#23 1 year ago
  24. zinc

^ Your are sounding a bit of a sad panda at the mo tbh ;-)

You need to be more optimistic. Have faith in the human need for change & variety. It’s why their’ll always be more than crime novels on kindle, and why one type of game will never suffocate the games industry.

After all artistic expression is a weed, not a delicate flower. People will always find a way to make & play the games they like.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Gadzooks!

Good lord not this again.

OG, you’d have a point if there wasn’t variety up the wazoo in gaming. There is though, so annual franchises aren’t really hurting anything.

Play ‘em if you like ‘em, play the huge number of alternatives if you don’t.

#25 1 year ago
  26. OlderGamer

I agree with ya Gad, no worries. Play what you like. Alot of times people think I am the bitching, I am not. I could put 25+ links on this post about industy crashing, losing money, studios closing, publishers failing, game stock falling, etc etc etc. To not see the writting on the wall, imo, is like sticking your head in the sand.

I think that if gamers and esp industry leaders don’t take some notice they could wake up one day and wonder what the hell happend. It is less that I pinning for industry failure and more that I am looking to engage in talking about it. Get conversation going. But who the hell am I in the grand scheme of things ya know? I am just one gamer, with admitidly off beat tastes.

But just because I don’t love the mega flavor of the day doesn’t mean I should get pushed aside either. I used to be a 400usd/month gamer. I was the number 2 over all yearly customer for my local Gamestop. Now I buy a few games a year, rent more then buy, and hate more games then I love. It might just be that I am indeed getting older. I doubt a 22 year old sees anything wrong with the curent games market, for example.

But then again, I think I also represent a demographic that is set to explode in the near future…aging, well, OlderGamers. Hitting 50 doesn’t mean you stop playing. But it does mean you feel pushed aside sometimes. And that too(the importance of an aging, or even emerging, demographic), I would like to discuss.

Trust me, I am not some angry old coot, sitting in my rocker on the front pouch yelling at anyone walking by. But I do see things a little differently then most of the other gamers here. The question is, how will you see things in a few more years?

#26 1 year ago
  27. Ali

Not sure why are u mad at this ? Nothing is changing. U r getting your own yearly CoD. Technically this is better. Adding a 3rd developer would only give the other two an entire year to work more on polishing the game.

On a practical way, this is just your yearly CoD with additional developing time.

PS: Not a fan of CoD , but I enjoy their Flashy Campaigns (Mainly Treyarch’s).

#27 1 year ago
  28. Ireland Michael

@26 The slippery slope is rarely slippery. Or a slope. In fact, it usually doesn’t exist at all.

You just bought a Wii U. You are not lacking in variety or innovation. And even with yearly Call of Duty releases, we are still being swamped with countless innovation and quality, the vast majority of it having nothing to do with modern first person shooters at all.

#28 1 year ago