GTA 5: Wii U and PC versions ‘up for consideration’, says Houser

Monday, 19th November 2012 15:34 GMT By Dave Cook

Grand Theft Auto 5 has been revealed and talked about at great length for a Spring 2013 release on both PS3 and Xbox 360. No mention has been made of PC or Wii U builds however, but Rockstar’s vice-president Dan Houser isn’t necessarily ruling them out. Meanwhile Nintendo of America head Reggie Fils-Aime is hopeful Rockstar will join the Wii U party.

UPDATE: CVG reports – by way of MTV – that Nintendo of America’s Reggie Fils-Aime discussed the company’s desire to give developers like Rockstar a platform that meets all of their needs.

“The folks there have said very nice public comments about the Wii U.” Fils-Aime said, “In the end, it is Nintendo’s responsibility to have a large installed base, to have development tools that help the developers and publishers create great content, and essentially create an environment where teams like Rockstar can bring their very best content to our platform, and if we do that hopefully the very best content throughout the entire industry will show up on Wii U.”

Is Reggie trying to help lure GTA 5 into the Wii U family? Never say never.

Original story:

As part of an interview IGN asked Houser why PC and Wii U have been left out of the GTA 5 equation.

“Everything else is up for consideration,” he responded, “That’s all I can give you. The main thing is we are not…we are a third-party publisher. We’re not Nintendo, we’re not Sony, we’re not Microsoft.

“We love all of them in different ways. But we can do what we want wherever there’s the appropriate business opportunity and chance to find a market. If that’s on Apple we put something on Apple.

“Wherever it might be. I think that’s the fun in what we do. We see ourselves as a content company that uses technology. We don’t make it; we use it to make the most fun stuff.”

Would GTA 5 on Wii U be something of interest? How about the PC crowd with its expertise at making superb mods for GTA titles? Do they deserve more love? Let us know below.

1. Maximum Payne

I think its safe to say that they just want first to finish game completely on those 2 consoles first then it will be porting time.

2. Dave Cook

@1 yeah seems about right. They always tend to do business that way.

3. Llewelyn_MT

GTA4 is among the prettiest PC titles ever and one of the very few proper PC ports. I can’t imagine they won’t make a GTA5 for PC.

4. ManuOtaku

I hope they decide to bring it to the other two platforms, the important thing is to letting know this with a certain tag on it prior the release of the game in the other consoles, just in order to wait with ease.

5. GameStunts

Until this point I didn’t know that they would NOT consider putting it out PC, I’m quite sad to hear that it’s only a consideration. I assumed it would be coming to PC just a bit later.

@3 I agree that GTA 4 is a lovely game and really looks good on modern PCs, but when it was released it was a terrible port, anyone who played it in those first 6 months would agree, and I say that as a massive GTA IV on PC fan.

6. CrimsonThunder

Yeah the PC port of GTA IV was terrible.

GTA is best on PC, I’d say I really hope they bring it to PC, but I know they’re gonna.

7. Llewelyn_MT

Was terrible. There’s nothing the PC enthusiasts can’t fix. ;)

8. deadstoned

GTA IV had its problems on PC, but for me that was largely down to Games for Windows LIVE. Which is Microsofts fault and we all know how shitty Microsoft are in terms of PC gaming these days. Apart from that GTA IV was good in my experience on PC, would pre-order immediately for PC when it becomes available. Steamworks + GTA V so much awesome =D

9. AmiralPatate

Come on, everybody knows there will be a PC version 6 months later. As for the WiiU, well, they did a GTA for Nintendo DS, so I can see taht happening.

As for GTA IV, it was poorly optimized when released and GFWL was a mistake. Beside this, the game was pretty good.
    Now with GTA IV and Max Payne 3, I think they had enough training with RAGE on PC, so hopefully GTA V will be decently optimized.

10. DrDamn

It would work really well on WiiU. Map, navigation, setting way points etc. I would guess sales of something like ZombiU might have a bearing on the possibility. Maybe money hats from Nintendo and demographics at that point. Agree with the point that they will get PS3 and 360 versions out first though.

11. 3rikko

would have been an awesome title to get on the WiiU, definetly couldn’t hurt, would probable make more people want to buy the WiiU

12. Faceless

@7 Sadly, there is. We can’t ‘fix’ Games for Windows Live, and no one came up with a fix for the atrocious optimisation in GTA IV until Rockstar patched up some of the holes months down the line.

13. Stardog

It will come out on PC for sure.

They always do this. They can’t afford to release the PC version at the same time because of piracy, not to mention the lower price point of PC games. They want everyone to get the console version first.

The reason RDR hasn’t come to PC is because it was always supposed to be a console game and had a seriously protracted development cycle. I don’t think it even started out as a proper open-world game, and wouldn’t have been something PC gamers would’ve wanted to play.

14. Sini

wtf are you talking about, people who pirate on pc have modded consoles.
    Also, price point is the same if not bigger, pc games have been selling for $60 for awhile now.
    Ona different note, fuck this new gta, id rather see modded port of RDR on pc.

15. fearmonkey

I picked up Prototype 2 for PC over the weekend and its engine has just blown me away. It looks amazing at 2560×1440, seriously the best open world game graphics I have played yet.

Saint’s row the third is beautiful too, not quite as good as prototype but right up there, it smokes GTA 4 even with the enhancement packages in my opinion.

I wont buy GTA5 unless there is a pc version, I might rent it on xbox, but I would only pay for a PC version. I have to say the gameplay videos have me marveling at how they are doing that on 7+ year old hardware, so I can only imagine how good it will be on PC. I wouldn’t be surprised if they released an enhanced version for the next xbox, so that’s another reason to wait.

16. CPC_RedDawn

@3 Are you serious!? The PC GTAIV was hideous to look at. Bland colours, buggy as hell on release (on both Nvidia and AMD cards). It only looks good if you use the community mods such as IceEnhancer which in my opinion makes the game look even better than GTAV does in the trailers.

17. freedoms_stain

@17, read #7.

18. xxJPRACERxx

#13 The reason there was no RDR on PC is because it was made by R* San Diego (RDR, Midnight Club). All games made by R* North have a PC version.

19. chriszmbe

Port or not i got an Xbox 360 and WiiU and if it comes to WiiU then thats what im getting it for!