Dishonored has 40,000 words of text, 90,000 of dialogue

Thursday, 15th November 2012 04:52 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Did you read all the books in Dishonored? I admit I may have skimmed a few, but in my defence, a report on PC Gamer suggests there are 40,000 words of text in Dishonored, which is a reasonable novel’s length. I did listen to a lot of dialogue though, and probably so did you, as it has almost 90,000 words of voice work. Arkane drew inspiration from a diverse range of sources for the immersive sim’s colourful writing, including authors such as Herman Melville, Mervyn Peake, Thomas Burke, Charles Dickens, H. P. Lovecraft, Michael Moorcock and Neil Gaiman; movies like Gangs of New York, Perfume and Anonymous; and music such as The Decemberists, Picaresque and Her Majesty. Also, you can set people on fire; still one of my favourite games.

1. Telepathic.Geometry

I play this in fits and bursts now, to nail the platinum trophy, and one of my greatest joys is aiming that heart at everyone and everything to get the skinny. ^-^

2. GwynbleiddiuM

..Which I might add are very predictable and poorly written. Dishonored has greater parts that the devs can brag about it, it’s just not in the story.

3. Wertisdk

I don’t get why Dishonored is taking that many punches from the community in regards to it’s story – I mean it’s clearly not up to level with some books, but for a game, I found it both well-written and complex enough to not be completely obvious. Granny rags had me on edge…

I thoroughly enjoyed the game, and though the ending wasn’t as good as I had hoped, the story and the universe really appealed to me.

My only real problem with the game, is how you have a very hard time discovering the unexplained mechanics like when someone has been alerted.
    I like discovering these things, and not getting everything handed on a silver platter, but an in-mission stats screen would be nice, so you didn’t have to do the entire mission again when a body got discovered in a non-obvious way…

4. Docker Al

What this doesn’t tell you is that 89ooo of those lines were “Whiskey and cigars tonight?”

5. sleepyfox