Bungie: “Xbox Live wouldn’t have made it” without Halo

Thursday, 15th November 2012 16:50 GMT By Nick Akerman

Xbox Live is ten years old today, but things could have been very different. According to Bungie studio manager Harold Ryan, the premium service wouldn’t have worked without Halo and the leadership of the renowned studio.

“I think Xbox Live wouldn’t have made it. I don’t think the Xbox would be where it is today without Bungie and without Halo,” Ryan told GamesIndustry.biz.

“As a group, we provided both technical and creative guidance and thought leadership that really pushed the limits. We weren’t just a game developer using the service. We were integrated in the design of the service and how it worked. Systems for groups and matchmaking and skill ranking were all things that were pushed the furthest and the hardest by us.”

Halo has remained one of Xbox Live’s most played games across the last decade. The recent launch of Halo 4 is the first iteration to be released without Bungie overseeing development, and managed to pull in $220 million during its first 24 hours.

1. Christopher Jack

So it’s Halo’s fault I’d have to pay a ridiculous amount to simply play online!

2. TheDarkWeapon

It also managed to be the most awesome halo ( at least on my eyes ). Thank you Bungie for years of fun and joy… why did you left us?

I’ll wait for your next game.

3. John117

@2 leave* (not “left”)… just kidding, who cares about grammar on the interwebz?

But I think we can thank Bungie for the success of Xbox. Without Halo, I for one would not have bought an Xbox and neither my friend who introduced me to Halo. Live is just another thing to put on their shelf of trophies

4. OrbitMonkey

Yep. One of those rare synergys of platform & mascot coming together at the right time & place.

5. TheBlackHole

@1 God forbid you’d have to pay for something that costs money to facilitate.

6. OlderGamer

What a crock, Mechassult lead all play charts when XBL launched. If I can grab my tinfoil hat…there better, “That was one of the reasons Mechassult2 was purposfly sabatoged and not supported. MS wanted Halo2 as their prime componet and not Mech.”

*puts tin foil hat down.

Of course there is little to no tangible evidence to back up that claim.

7. roadkill

@1 No! That’s actually your fault! The only reason why MS is asking money is because you want to give them money.

8. xxJPRACERxx

@6 Agree with you 100%

9. Zanchbot

@1 If $5 per month is a ridiculous amount to you, it may be time to find a better job (or ask mommy and daddy fr a higher allowance).

10. Christopher Jack

@5, I pay for my internet connection, I paid for my Xbox 360 & I paid for my game, why should I continue to pay for a game on my own console using my own internet when others seem fully capable of supplying me less laggy online experiences elsewhere?

@7, I do not want to give MS money, I want to play Halo & unfortunately for me, it’s simply not an experience I can get elsewhere & that’s exactly why there’s no PC version of Halo since #2.

@9, A) I’m a student, B) The price is not the point, but just to point out- that price is double in Australia. It’s the fact that I’m paying for a measly service that just isn’t worth it for a game that I really enjoy. Is XBL better than PSN? Yes, but is it worth it? From my perspective- fuck no. If I had bought a 20GB Xbox 360 at launch & paid RRP for a gold sub (at it’s CURRENT price) every year since, it would have cost me $1200. & you’re telling me that’s not much to play a single franchise that I still need to pay a further $60 per each installment for? Fuck off!

11. TD_Monstrous69

Hey, it’s the no-shit-sherlock statement of the century. Of course Xbox live wouldn’t be where it was without Bungie or Halo. Hell, 343 wouldn’t exist if Bungie never left making Halo games.

12. roadkill

@9 5 dollars/month to play a game, any game is staggering! I pay nothing to play online games. You’d have to be a dumb fuck or have loads of money to pay a monthly fee to play online games.

@10 You only give Microsoft money because you want to. Nobody is making you do it. You have a choice. And the reason why there’s no Halo on PC is because Microsoft can’t compete on this market. Most PC players play CoD or BF. Not many of these would switch to Halo if it would be available to us. I would play the SP but the MP is a joke when I have those alternatives.

13. Christopher Jack

@12, Again, I’m not giving money to Microsoft because I ‘want to’, that’s one of the stupidest things I’ve heard in a long time. What I want to do is play Halo online & that requires me lubing up & surrendering to MS & buying a Gold sub. Thankfully for now I have 1 month free.

& the reason Halo is not on PC is because Microsoft want it to be a system seller & a gold sub seller which it most certainly is.

14. roadkill

@13 There are two ways money leave from your possession. If you want to or not. Wait, why am I explaining logic to you? Are you a child or are you simply retarded?

15. Christopher Jack

@14, Are you high? I don’t want to pay for gold but want to play Halo 4 online once it arrives.

16. Joe_Gamer

I’ts important to understand that 95% of console multiplayer architecture is PEER TO PEER,

17. Joe_Gamer

It’s important to understand that lion’s share of the console network architecture is PEER TO PEER, with a microscopic amount of overhead left over that is mostly matchmaking and DRM/authentication. The xbox live subscription is actually paying for the marketplace backbone, “what a good customer you are to PAY to have advertisements delivered to your door!” and of course the facebook/twitter integration, thank god for that, picking up my cell phone was getting so tedious….

Xbox live is a terrible ripoff, holding the products that I want hostage(Halo multiplayer) so M$ can finance the products that THEY want(marketplace and social data-mining, woohoo!).

18. Christopher Jack

@Joe, My thought exactly. Unfortunately people that dare criticize anything tend to be labeled as fanboys. Sure everyone is bias to some extent but it’s not like I’m going around saying Micro$oft sucks, Sony rulzzzzz- heck I don’t even have a PS3 anymore, I’m almost entirely a PC gamer because it’s simply cheaper & frankly, better. I don’t generally mind if it’s not simpler, but I can understand that others do & that’s fair enough, their choice.

19. polygem

@12: halo mp is a joke compared to cod or bf…? this is just nonsense and i hope you know that. halo is probably the most balanced and best multiplayer shooter game in the world. definitley NOT a joke compared to those you mentioned. that comment is a joke really.

@CJ and Joe: xbl, you can criticize the ads, i do that as well but still xbl stays the best online experience you can have on any platform, it´s beyond me why there is so much denial for that. i played pc, wii, 360, ps3, vita, ds, 3ds psp the last 7 years. owned every of those systems…xbl is the best online service, then there´s steam then there´s nothing for a long long long time.

20. Christopher Jack

I don’t see how it’s ‘the best’, much simpler than PSN for connecting with others but Steam’s still superior to both. Much faster & smoother with superior functionality.

There’s little doubt that XBL is better than PSN (barring the ads) but it’s simply not worth what MS charge, you’re paying for the framework, very little(if anything) goes towards supporting the multiplayer components.

21. Da Man

polygem, they’re a PC fanboy and can’t afford an Xbox.. If it was such a joke toy pros wouldn’t play it.

22. Da Man

#20 What’s that ‘superior functionality’ you’re on about btw? Lack of centralized game requests/mute function perhaps?

Might want to accompany your ‘faster’ and ‘smoother’ statement with evidence/data or something.

23. Erthazus

“As for Halo on PC, it was in the top most played games until a couple of years ago.”

Dream about it. It was empty in two weeks after the release and no one is playing it today except for few tards.

” they’re a PC fanboy and can’t afford an Xbox..”

Yeah like guys who spend more money for the PC can’t afford cheap semi-PC box that plays games in sub-HD resolution can’t afford it. Of course.

“Lack of centralized game requests/mute function perhaps?”

for thousand times I repeat, “You can mute players” and there is CENTRALIZED game requests. It’s called ” SteamFriend List”. You can make even groups there and clans which EksBawks can’t even do.

Retard is retard.

24. Da Man

Poshel na hui, bolnoi socialno isolirovanni pacient.

As for your game requests hysteria, no there isn’t. You can’t mute anyone and send them independently, You have to use Xbl to find that out.

25. Da Man

Here’s one from 2010 as well:

26. Christopher Jack

No one even touches GfWL unless they’re forced to, & for good reason- they don’t want to pretend they’re using an Xbox 360, an even poorer designed version at that. GfWL is very much like XBL but has largely failed vs Steam despite your claims that XBL is better.

27. Da Man

Although, by all means please do go on with your lies and hysteria.You hardcore gamer. You Justin Bieber fighting Victor Tsoy enjoying patient.

#26

Your opinion on Gfwl is irrelevant. Halo2 wasn’t available on Steam.

Many probably don’t mind MS service that much. Perhaps for the reason that they don’t spend 20 hours per day playing videogames.

And I didn’t ‘claim’ ‘Xbl is better’. You did.

28. Christopher Jack

@27, It’s not just my opinion of GfWL, ask just about any PC gamer, heck there was even a petition for Dark Souls to ditch GfWL that gained over 23’000 signatures. It’s the way GfWL works that bothers so many people, it’s frequently required for games purchased through Steam & makes multiplayer a real hassle. It’s just plain slow & unwanted by the majority, that is why it’s failing.

29. Da Man

#28

It’s an opinion of many. Which has nothing to do with the topic.

Besides why exactly should anyone care about that and your selective logic? You start going on about ignorant casuals and stuff the moment something you can’t afford gets popular. Nobody playing Gfwl cares what you think.

30. freedoms_stain

“Top played games on GFWL” isn’t saying much, unlike the xbox charts it doesn’t represent the entire PC platform. I would be surprised if that list in 2010 represented a total unique user count that represented triple figures.

31. Christopher Jack

You’re the one who jumped in claiming that I can’t afford an xbox- I have one & the reason I don’t want to pay for gold is a matter of value & quality, both things that I feel XBL severely lacks- so you choose to make a personal attack on me with weird claims like always. You also claimed that Halo 2 was “in the top most played games until a couple of years ago.” which simply isn’t true, then you bring in GfWL which only a very tiny fraction of PC gamers use- fully knowing that it’s also exclusive to that platform, as your reference.

32. Da Man

^I was referring to #12 with the Xbox..

What I did was vaguely mentioning your misguided Apple musings, hence as I said why exactly should it matter if many hold that opinion. The moment it doesn’t suit your shitty purse agenda it becomes the other way around.

Halo2 was only released for Gfwl, which it was in the top most played games up until 2010 or 11. Which was the fact that I ‘claimed’.

33. stretch215

Lol. I spend more on lunch for myself (nevermind my kiddos) in one day than my xbl sub costs for one month! It’s such a small amount of $ that principle becomes irrelevant. I accumulate more than $5 a month in change! I’m also a student that works full time. Say what you want about the quality of xbl, but it costs peanuts.

34. polygem

i pay 2,5 euro a month for xbl, that´s approx. 3 dollars A MONTH. that´s what we are talking about here…you can say what you want about xbl but the fun and convenience you get using it is definitley worth 3 or 5 bucks a month.

35. polygem

by the way…even if pc gamers wouldn´t like playing halo mp and prefer bf and cod…it would only prove that they are pretty ignorat and conservative- it´s a great multiplayer game, if you´re not able to see that than it´s your fault really not the games fault. it´s this elite pc bullshit again. as if pc gamers are the only real fps gamers….y´know, the skilled elitists, the console players all have no skill just aimbots. that sort of crap. all this elitistblabla is giving the pc crowd a very bad rep if you ask me.

36. Christopher Jack

I don’t think simply not liking Halo for the sake of it is ignorant but preferring CoD or BF doesn’t. Although I agree about the PC elitism, there are plenty of skillful people on consoles, I’ve played against guys in Halo 3 & Reach who can throttle an entire above average team single-handedly.

37. polygem

someone said halo mp is “a joke” compared to cod or bf. that´s what my response was for. not liking halo is totally fine, saying it´is a shit mp game is just lying ;)

38. GwynbleiddiuM

@CJ Yes and that is called XIM3 (I know because my friend has one and dominates everyone with it).

Although I’m not denying there are skilled people that are actually good on a tumbstick when it comes to shooters, I’m not one of them, at least not with a PS3 controller. I felt more comfy playing shooters on Xbox 360.

@37 Well, for those of us who played CS, Q3, Q2, Q1, UT, etc, it definitely looks like a joke, then again, we didn’t start our MP careers with a console shooter, it must certainly be an overwhelming experience for those who did.

39. polygem

@38: me neither man, i smell pc elitist ´we are the community that invented the shooter´ bullshit again…i play videogames since the 80´s. my first computer i played games on was a commodore 64, i had many games systems since then including pc´s. i played the hell outta quake unreal and counterstrike…then again, i didn’t start my gaming career with those kind of games it must certainly be an overwhelming experience for those who did ;)
    but halo is by far the most challenging online shooter with some of the best players around. i can easily own in black ops, it´s so much harder to do that in reach. believe me. i tried. i know. for sure.

40. Kabby

The skill ceiling with a controller is too low for Halo to be “the most challenging online shooter”. It’s a great game but stop fooling yourself.

41. polygem

it´s not about controller or mouse. it´s all about balancing the gameplay and overall gamedesign, no matter about the input peripherals…to get things straight, i am not a very good halo player. i am not saying this to make my halo skills stand out. i am pretty average in halo online…it´s much harder to become good in halo than in bf or cod. the gameplay is so much deeper in halo. the shields do make it very different as well. it´s not just shoot kill get killed spawn shoot kill…it needs much more tactics to win firefights in halo than just aim and shoot. i am not making this up. you can try that out yourself if you like. i´m not fooling myself at all here. i tried myself and this is my honest opinion about it. simple as that.

42. Da Man

You don’t have to justify or defend Halo against people who are yet to play a BR Slayer..

Blah blah blah lies blah hyperbole blah paraphrasing cherry picked review blah mouse blah

^Beat him, you hardcore PC toy masters.

All Quakes, Ut and CS were a joke for someone who played Marathon. I’ve been owning noobs online in late 80s. true story.

43. zinc

The fact Halo has been going strong for over 10 years & sold in the millions world wide, is the surest sign of quality I’d ever need.

As for pc versus console skill requirements… Rugby versus American Football, NASCAR versus Formula 1, Tennis versus Badminton…

Fans of either will always argue their favorite requires the more skill… They’d be wrong obviously, but arguing over daft little differences is half the fun of being a fan in the first place ;-)

44. GwynbleiddiuM

@39 Me, Elitist? Nonsense! Yeah, I don’t know how Commodore 64 fits into a conversation about multiplayer shooters, but for the sake of the argument, I didn’t own a commodore 64 or an Amiga, but played a lot on my cousins’. I also had an Atari 2600, Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Nintendo DSi, PSone, PS2, Xbox 360 and have a PSP and a PS3. We all had Commodore 64 experiences even if we didn’t own one, so do you want a cookie for owning a commodore 64? Since that’s the only reason I can think of you bringing up the subject.

If you think CS was an Aim n shoot game that brought you glorious wins you are wrong, it is heavily based on teamwork and tactics, at least the way I played it. Quake was about speed and using it to your advantage. I played enough of Halo 3 to know it wasn’t anything more than a mediocre shooter in comparison to any MP shooters I played competitively on PC, go ahead and sue me.

@42 o Shove off, I wasn’t addressing you. And I honestly have no time to allocate to your lunacy.

45. polygem

@44:

“Well, for those of us who played CS, Q3, Q2, Q1, UT, etc, it definitely looks like a joke, then again, we didn’t start our MP careers with a console shooter, it must certainly be an overwhelming experience for those who did.”

sorry man but this sounds to me like elitist pc bullshit in it´s perfected form and shape. do you want a cookie for that?

you sound like you are a videogame guru just because you didn´t start gaming on a console.

i brought up the c64 to remind you that there was a time even before your glorious pc shooter game days.

go ahead and sue me.

46. Da Man

Unpronunceable, take your shitty elitism, as well as your 30 something idiocy in the form of devotion to videogames and actually fuck off. Thanks.

For someone who can’t grasp what’s aim assist, you post way too much essays. If console fps were such a joke, we wouldn’t see your precious PC toy pros going from CS to Halo.

Also, regardless of whether you were addressing me or not, I was referring to your inane bollocks.

47. GwynbleiddiuM

@Polygem And I told you that I didn’t start with PC gaming, my first owned PC was a Pentium 166, and that was a long time ago, not as long as Atari 2600 and Commodore 64. And how is it that what I’m saying is profiled as elitism, and what you were saying isn’t that? You are as defensive toward xbox as I am toward PC. So, how is it I’m being portrayed as an elitist jerk and you are not a mindless fanboy?

@46 Go play with your aim assist then and feel superior. If there’s one individual here in VG247 that brings insults, inane bollocks and personal vendetta and makes hateful remarks it’s you, it has always been you and it will always be you. So, by all means continue this charade, We all know what a cewl guy you are. And I’m very sorry if my PC toys inconvenienced you in anyway and ruined your childhood, I want you to understand that it wasn’t my intention for you to be violated by my “toys”.

PS: FYI, this an example of aim assist in console gaming. I’d appreciate if you just shut up, even though I wasn’t the guy who brought the subject up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ocyYwLCDyCU#at=47

48. Joe_Gamer

“they’re a PC fanboy and can’t afford an Xbox”

That’s like saying “he’s a Formula F1 driver who can’t afford a Civic….”
    xbox is fun, I have one, a launch day 20GB model that still somehow works, but c’mon guy you might want to count to ten and think about what you are trying to say before typing on that keyboard.

49. polygem

difference is: all i said is that halo is a great competitive mp game.
    you said: “for those of US who played CS, Q3, Q2, Q1, UT, etc, it definitely looks like a joke, then again, we didn’t start our MP careers with a console shooter, it must certainly be an overwhelming experience for those who did.”

so you said halo is shit (a joke compared to the games you mentioned)
    and the “those of us” conspiracy circle stuff and the rest of that post DOES sound like some elitist pc gamer trash.

if you are offensive please don´t be surprised if someone pisses back on you.

50. Da Man

#47

I can’t decide if you’re that much of a two-faced hypocrite, that passionate and deluded or just plain really dense. If you follow this comment section, and in fact any other featuring my account you would notice that this angsty discussion was started with a shitty attack on behalf of some PC nerd (such as #12)

I can’t feel superior to people who waste their time playing computer software just on another platform. For some odd reason you do.

Now what was that about ‘charade’ and all those attempts at fancy Engrish? As for aim assist, you have precisely *zero* understanding of it. Otherwise you wouldn’t make uneducated comments in the vein of Erthabuddy.

#48 I’ve been reading his comments for some time.

51. Da Man

Also, this

might help you shut your stinking trap.

I should probably find some hardcore video made by hardcore addi-, sorry nerd, nope sorry gamer which demonstrates changes from the original CS to CSS, such as recoil and random headshots.

52. Deacon

Whoever spawned you (Microsoft?) should really have taught you some basic fucking manners.

Just such an unbelievable prick. Constantly.

53. Da Man

Ofc it’s Microsoft, which explains why you use Windows and I don’t, as well as my distaste for any Xbox exclusives bar Halo. Tbh, you folks spawned me.

Prick is the word I use to describe people who go into Xbl anniversary threads babbling about mouse and their non existent understanding of gamepad controls.

54. GwynbleiddiuM

@ Da Violated by my PC Toys, I know fully well what Aim Assist is, and it was you who brought it up, I did not make one remark about aim assist, until you brought it up. So, shut up. Hush hush, khafe sho. galeh ro beband.

55. Da Man

^Yes you did. Numerous times before, besides why else would you describe console fps as mediocre (unless you ‘ve tricked yourself that much as to think Quake has a better engine or something along erzalines).

You just keep on fighting the good fight while calling me ‘violated by PC toys’.

You hardcore gamer. You 30 years old Counter Strike champion.

Best just take your shitty deluded elitism and shut the trap. There’re plenty of nerdy nerd websites for you out there.

56. Ireland Michael

Here’s a crazy idea.

Ignore him.

57. GwynbleiddiuM

@IM You’re right.

58. Da Man

^I encourage you to do that. It will save the internets from the same 2004 copy pasted bs and traditional purist hardcore nerd melodrama.I also encourage you to do as O’Connor says, opposed to as he acts.