GTA 5 multiplayer to redefine open world games, Rockstar teases

Wednesday, 14th November 2012 10:03 GMT By Dave Cook

Grand Theft Auto 5′s multiplayer is said to do for open world games what 2001′s GTA 3 did for single player, according to Rockstar North head Leslie Benzies.

Speaking with IGN, Benzies offered a few scant teasers regarding his studio’s ambition for GTA 5′s multiplayer, “For GTA V we want to push all of these to a new level while incorporating new gameplay elements that would not have been possible before.

“The ability to switch between different characters allows the player to do things that wouldn’t have been possible in any other GTA game, and on the multiplayer side we hope that GTA V will do for multiplayer open world games what GTA 3 did for open world single-player games.”

When asked for more information on multiplayer, Benzies replied, “That’s what we’re working on, but we’re not ready to talk about it just yet. Refining open world multiplayer into something really special has been a huge focus of development and we are very excited to share more information with people soon.”

Details are thin but Benzies talks big game. We already know that GTA 5′s mutliplayer will see the crew system from Max Payne 3 carried over, and that Rockstar wants your feedback on how to make its multiplayer better.

But what else would you like to see? Let us know below.

Also, bookmark our GTA 5 trailer #2 hub to watch the brand new clip from Rockstar North at 4pm today.

1. Khakimzhan

MMOtype single player mode ?

2. Maximum Payne

Imagine if you can play as a cop :D

3. NocturnalB

Maybe the multiplayer is going to be pretty large? Almost mmo server like. Like maybe when you enter multiplayer you get tossed into a Los Santos that has say 40-100 people running around causing mayhem. THAT would be godly amounts of badass.

I liked the multiplayer in GTA4, but it was definitely flawed. And there was never enough people around. If they could pull off a large scale amount of people on this map.. oh mama..

Edit: And for god’s sake let us at least have the option to join a public match that allows cheat code use! I am the type of player that plays the whole game through properly, everything the right way, and then all my freeplay/replay time is spent spawning fast cars/guns,health/heli’s and going on 6 star wanted level killing sprees! Let me do it with friends!

4. RoyBrown

Yeah, not buying into any of this shit. GTA IV was the most over hyped game of all time.

Remember that ground breaking story that was, as IGN called it “OSCAR WORTHY”.

Seriously, you can switch characters on the fly, big fucking deal.

GTA IV on PS3 was horrendously laggy, one of the worst experiences I have ever had. The party system on PS3 was also a buggy piece of shit.

If you lived in Australia, you had no choice but to deal with a ping of 200 or more.

Show me gameplay running over the net or GTFO.

EDIT: Not saying they cannot change those things, but I simply don’t trust Rockstar anymore.

5. Gekidami

I’m pretty sure they said the same thing about RDR’s MP and that turned out to be pretty lame.

6. AmiralPatate

I just want Free mode and/or coop. The other modes in GTA IV were useless.
    And I agree with #3, we should be able to use cheat codes (like calling 555-whatever) at least in free mode.
    Also, get rid of Games for Windows Live. I mean, seriously.

7. mistermogul

Last link Broken Dave

8. Dave Cook

@7 thanks bud, it’s because we changed the title of the story :) Fixing now.

9. Gadzooks!

I used to love GTA, but GTA4 was the last one I’ll ever buy. I thought it was a tedious, drab, lurchy soulless borefest.

Saints Row has replaced GTA for me. That’s a game that knows how to have fun!

10. deathm00n

@9 But GTA isn’t meant to be a funny game, people play it for fun because of the cheats and everything, but the history is always more serious, the characters may be funny, but the whole story has a more serious tone. For me GTA and Saints Row is a lot different from each other.

11. DrDamn

Eh? GTA games have always had a load of humour in them. From the radio stations and billboards to the characters and missions. It’s been more subtle than something like Saints Row, but it’s still a major part of the game. Agree with Gadzooks! that GTA IV lost a lot of that.

12. AmiralPatate

There’s humour in GTA IV. You speak about radio stations and billboards, they are still there in GTA IV. There are also the fake internet websites and emails. GTA IV is full of humour, just like any other GTA.
    But there’s also a relatively deep story, which the previous GTA lacked in my opinion. GTA IV makes credible a world that is not. That’s why GTA IV is my favorite.

13. MadFingerz

Yeah, GTA4 was so gritty and serious, it really made you miss the fun of past games. But V seems to be a departure from IV and the new Los Santos is described to be vibrant and more open spaced, which to me sounds great.

Going by what GTA4 and RDR offered on the multiplayer side, V’s MP portion will really need to be amazing for me to care much about it.

14. Docker Al

Yeah Max Payne 3 was going to be a revoloution too and the multiplayer was dead inside a couple of weeks.
    @ 4 Yes! The lack of a local only or good connection option shows just how out of touch R* are when it comes to online gaming. This option is one of the biggest reasons gamers I know stick to the Treyarch COD titles. If R* don’t include it this time round they can shove their multiplayer up their arse.

15. Da Man

Seeing as how Gta4 was a tedious crime sim aimed at 12 year olds and RdR was an even more tedious grindfest for deprived nerds, can’t see this happening.

16. mikelitoris

@RoyBrown

It’s not laggy because of the game, it’s laggy because of the people that join with shit connections..

@NocturnalB

I certainly hope so. I’m sure they’re aware of what they did with San Andreas Multiplayer and implement some stuff from that. I hope for more than just 40-100 players, especially if the maps gonna be bigger than all of them. I hope it’s up to 500 players like SA-MP was, would be cool to have houses with a monetary system, the ability to rob, be a cop, be a business man, a soldier when the stars are at ******, being able to sneak up with a knife in shadows, and still have the limited map system, maybe the ability to press select and get first person shooter camera, etc. Hoping for the Rhino too.

I never got hyped up for it, so I’m not gonna be pissed off if it doesn’t live up to the expected hype that you all created to begin with. Stop following this trailers by the week, dumb expectation culture that CoD and Halo culture created, do something with your life rather than play games all day.

Rock* has done what they want since day one, and I respect that. I’ll enjoy whatever they release, you videogame critics don’t make videogames, do you? If not, go and start designing games and help them instead of whining like pansies.

17. gtaplayer2

the only suggestions ima make are pretty simple,

1. do not allow players to use turbos which are controllers that give the person the advantage over the other by shooting 10x faster than the person.

2. give the person on the ground more equality against a guy using a helicopter it will get annoying in gta 4 that i will have to try and kill a helicopter orbiting around me and i couldn’t because he will blast me to peices and spawn kill me,it will be nice if you gave both the pilot and person on the ground a fair fight

3. it was popular in gta 4 to kill cops for fun it will be great if you turn it into a mode like “cop survival mode” or something.

4. also the most important thing it would be nice if the wepeans have greater range than the ones in gta 4, and that i would not have to rely on a headshot to make sure my opponent is dead for instance in gta 4 it took 2 bullets to kill someone when you shot the persons head 4-6 bullets for the torso and 2 bullets again for the knees. this seems like just a little but its not because the person will move left to right and avoid the bullets so if you were to cut the number of bullets needed to kill someone shooting their torso it will be better than just having to rely on shooting them in the head.

5. last but not least it will be nice to make the cars have better handling than the ones in gta4 , the cars in gta 4 would simply powerslide for no reason when making a slight turn or when your trying to get away from someone.

fixing these issues will bring more players to the game and also keep the competitive players around and make the gta online world a more fair competitive battle ground.

p.s #4 is correct about gta 4 being laggy at times, which also brings me to suggest that you fix the fighting mechanism and make it like red dead redemption were you lose a fight but dont die that sounds fair.

#17 1 year ago