Xbox World and PSM3 to no longer be published, says Future

Tuesday, 13th November 2012 13:39 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Xbox World and PSM3 magazines in the UK will no longer be published, Future has confirmed as a measure to focus on digital growth.

“After careful consideration, Future has made the decision to close Xbox World and PSM3 magazines with the final issues going on sale on December 12,” said Clair Porteous, Future’s Head of Entertainment.

“This decision has been taken as Future continues to focus on its strategy on accelerating digital growth across its international digitally-focussed brand business. Future’s gaming portfolio saw over 14m unique users for October 2012 – up over 20% on October 2011. We intend and fully expect there to be no redundancies and will be looking to redeploy all staff within the business.”

Future “will continue to publish” Official Magazines for Xbox and PlayStation, Porteous added.

Xbox World was launched by Computec Media in 2003 – the editor at launch was Patrick Garratt who oversaw 13 issues. Future purchased the magazine in 2003 alongside PlayStation World, the later of which ceased publication in 2009.

PSM3 was released in 2000 as PSM2, and has published more than 160 issues.

The final issues of the magazines will go on sale Wednesday, December 12.

Future is working to “redeploy affected staff across the business,” per CVG.

It was announced last week that PlayStation: The Official Magazine US would no longer be published by Future US as well.

1. Deanzor

Who was the launch editor of PSW?

2. KAP

omfg, I LOVE PSM3, granted I know longer buy there issues anymore but I always listen to there podcasts. Dan Darkins, i’m gonna miss your funny ass bro

3. Patrick Garratt

@1 – Stephen Pierce, I think.

4. Ireland Michael

And nothing of value was lost.

Sucks to see people lose their jobs, but hopefully they can find employment with publications that actually have some merit.

5. Mike W

I’m surprise game informer is still around..

6. SlayerGT

@5 Me too. Im a subscriber and don’t know why. I’m still waiting for my GTA issue and I could easily get all the info from the web..nice.

7. strikkebil

no more psm3 podcast?
    ;_;

8. Johnny Cullen

Back when I was a PlayStation-only person, I credit OPM UK under Tim Clark’s stewardship as one of the reasons that inspired me to become a journo when I was still at school. But PSM2 and PSM3 I used to read a great deal of at the time along with PSW. In fact, it was through PSM3 I managed to watch the 15 minute trailer for MGS4 from E3 2006 for the first time. Still remember watching that on the DVD.

Nevermore. :(