PS Plus coming to Vita with software update 2.00

Tuesday, 13th November 2012 16:10 GMT By Nick Akerman

PlayStation Vita’s system software update 2.00 will add PS Plus functionality to Sony’s handheld. Current PS Plus subscribers will be able to enjoy extra benefits on Vita with no extra cost from November 21.

Players will be given access to four gamers per month, as well as the chance to take advantage of exclusive discounts and online storage. PS3 users who have already subscribed to PS Plus won’t have to worry about forking out for the service a second time; access is free if you pay for the console version.

The Instant Game Collection across both platforms will provide at least five new games a month. Updates will also download automatically and trophies sync across devices.

Here’s the first load of games Vita users will receive for free:

-Uncharted: Golden Abyss
-Gravity Rush
-Wipeout 2048
-Jet Set Radio
-Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions (the PSP title)

If you’re yet to take the leap on PS Plus, this might be the perfect time. The service costs £11.99 for 90 days or £39.99 per year.

The full list of titles and bonuses for the US can be found here, and European users should head through here.

1. Dragon246

YEAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
    GR and UC:GA as IGC vita games, what more can a vita owner ask?

2. CycloneFox

in the past, I always tried to get the card version of the game, to save space on my small 8GB card (included in my day-one bundle). But now I definately know, that 8GB is too small. I need a new card.
    the instant game collection for the ps3 was also my reason to get a new HDD and upgrade my ps3 to 500gb.

3. DrDamn

Gravity Rush and Uncharted? Blimey that’s good going. Have neither of those. Later we also get Chronovolt (new game) and Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack.

Also need to get a new card to store this stuff on, my initial 16Gb one is creaking already :D

4. Deacon

Gravity Rush is QUALITY. This is looking much better than expected.

Four games per month?? And they’re bashing out two of the biggest retail games on Vita day 1? I can’t see how they can keep that up tbh. They’re offering free games at a faster rate than they’re being released!

I’m guessing we could download the stuff to our PS3 and keep it there until we want to play it, for those who have limited space etc.

5. Nick Akerman

Updated with the first load of freebies. :)

6. Deacon

Some of those are US only…(Wipeout, JetSet, FFT) might be worth mentioning to avoid confusion.

7. Moonwalker1982

Hold on..you get ALL those games for free?

8. _LarZen_

PS+ is just getting better and better.

9. Dragon246

Yep

10. Stephany Nunneley

Links to both the NA and Euro lists are in there now.

11. Moonwalker1982

Maybe i’m understanding it the wrong way..but in the EUropean list it says :

As with the PS3 service, we will have titles that will be available to you for a longer period of time than usual so you have the chance to play them when and where you feel like, without worrying about them leaving the service anytime soon. For the PS Vita, these two titles will be Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Gravity Rush.

————-

Available to you for a longer period of time? I’m not sure but does that mean i can play them for awhile and then they will be ‘locked’ again? I mean….12 pounds for Uncharted AND Gravity Rush? Please help me understand this.

12. DrDamn

PS+ works by making games available for a limited period. As long as you grab a copy during that time you can keep playing it as long as you maintain your subscription. As soon as your sub expires you can’t play them anymore. So £12 will get you access to them for 3 months (plus any others which get made available in that time). You aren’t buying the games, this is a subscription service, so you need to keep your sub active.

Grabbing the titles doesn’t have to mean fully downloading. Just adding it to your basket, checking out and then cancelling the download will make it available for future download as its in your download list.

13. Greek God

PS+ just got even more insane
    srsly get +

14. OlderGamer

Plus is a great value. Of all of the ideas that get copied and cloned around the industry, I hope Nintendo and esp MS catch on to this. Would be one hella boon to be able to offer older and outdated games for a monthly sub. Would work a little like Renting or OnLive, where you pay a lump sum for new releases, but once those games are a couple of years old, they come out as part of your subscription service. Would also help move DLC for older games and maybe keep them viable.

That being said, I know Sony isn’t sticking to just older games. Sometimes they release not only newer, but brand new games for their Plus Service. I was up until very recently a PSN+ member. I just decided that I turned the system on so infrequently, that it really wasn’t worth me paying for Plus. Not to mention that if I was to continue I would need a bigger HDD. And again, I don’t use the PS3 much.

If I didn’t spend most of my game time elsewhere, PSN+ would be an absolute must. Kudos to Sony for actualy coming up with something this gen that seperates them from the pack. It is a great service and is nice to see Sony take the lead in something again.

15. OrbitMonkey

How the fuck are Sony making money out of this? It just seems like a unsustainable business model :-/

16. OlderGamer

In order to feel that way Orbit, don’t you have to assume that Sony would be able to sell the games if they didn’t include them in the subscription? If the games aren’t selling to begin with, or if the sales of (even discounted) DLC for said games makes up a decent enough difference…I could see it.

Before I was a Plus member, I only bought PSN games once in awhile. After becoming a Plus member I found myself buying DLC for games I wouldn’t even have purchased if they weren’t included. Not to mention my Plus sub fee.

17. OrbitMonkey

Yeah I suppose… But when they give away games like Crysis 2, Bulletstorm & Human Revolution… I wonder how much that must cost? They don’t own those ip’s…

We have scrap men in the UK, always collecting people’s metal waste & what not. Is that what Sony are doing? Collecting up old games, giving them out on psn+ & hoping members buy dlc & sequels?

18. DrDamn

A lot of the bigger games are Sony ones, so lower cost to them to use like this. Other games are ones that don’t have many real sales left in them. So again they can be used. The more people Sony get subbing the better it is for them. Steady and predictable money coming in, negociated one off costs to pit the games up. As OG mentioned releases get tied in with DLC promos too, so pubs make more money that way too.

19. ManuOtaku

Well iam happy with free PSN, most of the games offered on the PSN+ i do already have them, and iam not a fan of buying the games and when the subscription expires you dont have the games available anymore, like i said iam quite happy with free PSN, and i dont have any reasons to go for PSN+, but i do understand that many people will love it and find great value on it, i just hope Sony will not stop supporting free PSN on their next console.

20. freedoms_stain

DLC sales are almost certainly the motivation for the non-Sony titles that go up on the service.

21. DrDamn

It’ll be interesting what happens next time. They have to be more than a little envious of the money MS rake in from Live. So I think a subscription model of some sort is on the cards. Not a straight charge for playing online, but a multi-tier service package is likely I think. With the free side the bare bones and the minimum entry offering very good value in other areas (like PS+ – games, cloud storage, possibly media stuff too).

22. ManuOtaku

I agree Doc, and it will be interesting for sure, i just hope they dont ditch free bare bones PSN just for their not so good economical state right now, that will force them to make big changes in their overall strategy, like closing free PSN and going with multiple types of paid services, with a minimum asked price for the bare bones free PSN.

23. Deacon

I think they’ll keep the free component as is. Thinking of territories, Sony aren’t going to all of a sudden push a pay-to-play-online service onto their Japanese userbase. Not when the Xbox sells so poorly over there. It angers me how those of us in America and even Europe are getting completely used to Microsoft charging to play online. My guess is that it’s still a pretty alien concept in Japan, and so I’m hoping Sony stick to their guns. We can but hope!

24. Gadzooks!

I think people will happily pay for an online service that matches the quality, stability and features of XBL.

Oh wait… tens of millions of gamers already do! On XBL!

I might have kept my PS3 if PSN wasn’t such a shonky bag of arse.

25. Deacon

Not everyone gets home and sits playing online MP evening after evening. Not everyone wants to chat to people playing some other game while they’re playing something else (I still can’t fathom why anyone would want to do this. Ever).

PSN is a tad clonky, but as a store it serves it’s purpose just fine. And once you’re in and playing online, the services are virtually identical. If you’re getting lag then that’s down to your ISP, not some ‘inferior service’.

PSN has hed less profile hacks and Fifa trophies appearing / money being raped than XBL (a PAID service).

I’m not getting into this with you Gadz. We all know your take on Sony/PSN.

26. mojo

me paying for some extra services, maybe. I currently subbed to plus.
    me paying only to play a game online?yeah, not gonna happen. Because fuck you, thats why.

Worked out fine the last 15 years without paying someone, will work in the future too, or im literaly out of the game.

27. Gadzooks!

#25

“I’m not getting into this with you Gadz.”

Oh, but that’s exactly what you did.

It’s fine though, you’ll change your tune when Sony charges for online services next gen, and harmony will be restored.

Of course that is if Sony lasts that long. There’s a very good article up on Kotaku right now explaining how Sony is already dead, shuffling to it’s inevitable conclusion through the last few decaying nerve pulses.

Survive or not, either way hoping for a free online service next gen is futile.

28. Deacon

The article is pretty narrow in focus. But hey, according to Kotaku it seems we’re drawing ever closer to your dream day of Sony exiting the industry altogether! Fingers crossed eh mate.

29. Gadzooks!

#28

“Narrow in focus”

Please elaborate.

30. absolutezero

>kotaku

31. Deacon

It mainly focusses on insight from a handful of executives and a bunch of shop owners, and completely ignores how well Sony have done with the Playstation brand.

Sure, it’s an interesting read, but then Sony’s fragmentation hasn’t really been kept secret all these years, and it’s obvious that while some arms will do well others will not. You can’t win all the battles all the time.

They’re clearly not the company they once were, but it’s great to have someone in the gaming industry who offers good value gaming instead of charging for every last morsel – even if it is at the expense of their own bottom line.

Having already handed your wallet over to MS and accepted that ‘this is the future’, I wouldn’t expect you to understand or value this.

Why did you even bother with this thread Gadz? you have an alert pop up every time someone mentions Xbox?

32. Gadzooks!

#31

How very precious. You should get together with Dragon123 and maybe you could braid eachothers vaginas while having a little cry about how everyone doesn’t agree with your opinion.

33. Deacon

I would’ve thought 24 hours was enough time to muster something a little better than a vagina joke.
    Quick man! there are other Sony articles to be trolling!

34. Gadzooks!

Yeah well I was hoping for better than ‘you handed MS your wallet’ insults when there was an interesting, if somewhat narrow-focus, article ripe for discussion.

Life is full of dissapointments, eh?

35. OrbitMonkey

Lol, wants discussion… Throws vagina insults when differing view offered ;-)

36. DrDamn

I thought the Kotaku article was fairly poor. Too much emphasis on anecdotal evidence and things which don’t really relate. The smaller electronics stores for example. For an article of that size not enough factual information to back up the conjecture.

This one has a similar tone but a lot more concrete info that matters …

37. Gadzooks!

#36

The Kotaku article was light on data, but it was interesting to read how the once ‘national hero’ corporation has fallen from grace in the eyes of both Japanese retailers and consumers.

It was an article as much about attitudes as finances.

The one you linked is much more about facts and figures, but Sony’s problems have come about through more than just the value and throughput of stock. Public perception has changed, and that’s as hard to fix as a broken bank balance.

In entertainment they lost a little ground over the last 7 or so years, but in electronics they have little credibility left, with competitors beating them not just on price but on features.

#35

Aaaaand the pointless heckler arrives with absolutely nothing of worth to say, right on schedule.

38. Deacon

Conjecture. You state “Public perception has changed” from the brief opinions of a handful of shop owners and customers. The article then runs with these few opinions and takes liberties in summarizing ‘what it all means’. Kotaku eh?

Still, thanks for putting it out there Gadz. And thanks DrD for linking the other article. I like Hirai, but I wouldn’t want to be in his shoes.

39. DrDamn

Similar to what Deacon said. I’m not saying the conclusions are right or wrong, but the methods of achieving them.

The conclusion they put forward is not backed up.

“corporation has fallen from grace in the eyes of both Japanese retailers and consumers.”

Possibly, but they don’t show that, they just quote some people who think that. It shouldn’t be difficult to back this up with some other information. The retailer opinion is from the small retailers Sony (rightly or wrongly) seems to have taken a decision to leave behind. That in itself will have an impact on their opinions. They acknowledge that Sony have shifted retail into the big chains, but don’t try and solicit opinion there – why not? Again it may well back up the article, but we don’t know because they didn’t do it (or didn’t include it).

As indicated above a lot of Japanese electronics companies are in trouble. Sharp recently had to re-jig it’s debt, Panasonic are not doing well. How does this fit in with the article?

40. OrbitMonkey

Pfft, heckler accusations from the resident Sony slagger are a bit rich :-/

So some small shopkeepers are pissed that Sony does more business online? The market doesn’t rise & fall on their opinion though does it?

Only gaming internet nutters wanting to read a whole lot into nothing.