Modern Warfare 3 engine, CryEngine 3 vulnerable to security flaws – report

Tuesday, 13th November 2012 02:44 GMT By Brenna Hillier

A report out of the POC2012 Conference in Seoul, via ComputerWorld, suggests games running CryEngine 3 and Modern Warfare 3′s IW Engine may both be vulnerable to separate security issues. Security consultant firm ReVuln demonstrated issues with multiplayer servers using both engines, and said similar problems may exist in Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 – but will expect an official commission rather than volunteering the details to Activision.

Thanks, Blue’s News.

1. jacobvandy

Yup, go ahead and state the headline as fact when you use words like report, suggests, and may be throughout the blurb… You’re doing a great job helping these scumbag “security consultants” by starting rumors that could need to be cleared up by these game companies, i.e. they have to pay for the information in order to debunk it.

2. Omelette

@1 I see your point, but there’s no reason to be mad at someone on this site, huh.

3. Brenna Hillier

Actually, this was an oversight – I meant to put “report” at the end like I usually do. Fixed now, thanks for the spot.

4. hyperbaric

I have no doubts this is real, especially because I remember one of those guys names, when I was reading about some vulnerabilities of the Source engine and SRCDS.

I think, though, that stuff like this should be reported to the companies privately, and if they just ignore it, only then, expose it publicly.

5. AmiralPatate

“games running CryEngine 3 and Modern Warfare 3′s IW Engine may both be vulnerable to separate security issues”

Surprise! Or not. I mean, honestly, who thought MW3′s engine was impenetrable…