Rainbow Six: Patriots will ‘surprise the industry’, next-gen likely – Ubisoft

Monday, 12th November 2012 15:40 GMT By Dave Cook

Rainbow Six: Patriots is still in development despite a run of radio silence since its initial reveal. Ubisoft president Yves Guillemot has teased a big reveal for the shooter, stating that it will ‘surprise the industry’. Find out why below.

Speaking with Polygon Guillemot said, “The only thing I can say is that we have a good team working on it, and it’s really looking good. So when it will come, it will surprise the industry.”

The site then asked Guillemot if it will be a next-gen title, to which he replied, “there’s a good chance it can be.”

The tease. Relive the Rainbow Six: Patriots VGA trailer from last year here:

1. Edo

I guess 2014 release date seems more than likely then.

2. AmiralPatate

I can imagine the reveal.
    “Surprise! Rainbow Six will be a tactical shooter! Nah, just kiding, it’ll be another COD-like.”

3. Moonwalker1982

It looked absolutely awesome in that one video where it said it was NOT real gameplay, but it looked like it was. I want them to keep that concept too. Finally something new.

4. YoungZer0

@3: Agreed, but it seems like they are going to do some major changes again. The same thing happened to Future Soldier before it became another Call of Duty clone. Remember? Previously it looked like sci-fi with real stealth, cool environments and an interesting art-direction.

5. Moonwalker1982

I know i know……Future Soldier has been raped, it really has been. There’s nothing Ghost Recon about that game. I actually even have a hard time finishing the campaign cause it’s such a huge letdown. But i can hope, that they will do something good for R6 though. We will have to wait and see. Ubi does good and bad things. So far for me good are..Watch_Dogs and ACIII (really enjoying it alot more than previous AC’s)

6. absolutezero

I hope it ends up being more akin to the original titles instead of that awful manipulative tech demo they shat out.

Seriously its my birthday and my wife loves me and my kids are coming home and everything is totally perfect oh no terrorists im now a bomb how terrible for me and my perfect life.

TOUGH CHOICES.

7. SplatteredHouse

“I want them to keep that concept too. Finally something new.” Absolutely. That was quite the vision!

“I’ve watched the forum comments, and one of the things that’s really important for everyone to understand is senior management and the editorial group challenged me to create something plausible, relevant, and that touches on the current fears of the U.S. citizens to the point that I was almost surprised myself we were taking these creative risks. They are still behind it. I spent time working on it because I love it, but there comes a point where you give the vision to everybody and they embrace it and start telling me what the vision is now.” – Former Creative Director David Sears, March 2012.

Ubi may be committed to R6…But, how much of his R6? I hope they retained that focus and flavour, at least.

8. SplatteredHouse

@6: that footage could have been more about illustrating the concept, the tone of the game, emphasising differences and similarities, than an attempt of showcasing intended gameplay flow.

9. YoungZer0

@7: We’ll see. Spec Ops – The Line set the bar really, really high in terms of risks and topics.

10. TD_Monstrous69

I hope they change nothing from the original vision that Rainbow 6 Patriots has. Because for a shooter, it truly looked like a game-changer as far as subject matter is concerned.

11. Moonwalker1982

It was daring and definitely something that hasn’t been done before. We need that.

12. absolutezero

Did all you play Spec Ops The Line then?

13. YoungZer0

@12: You already know the answer to that question. Obviously they did not.

14. roadkill

Well said Moonwalker!

15. death_489

All i want is another rainbow six vegas from them , i love that game , good memories playing it ^^

i don’t really know what to expect from them , the video showed nothing but a little of the story , we don’t know if it will have that kind of graphics , we don’t know the gameplay , so im only waiting without expecting anything from them …