Halo 4 pulls in $220 million in 24 hours, takes entertainment record

Monday, 12th November 2012 22:34 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Halo 4 has done what only Call of Duty has managed over the past few years: taken out this year’s entertainment launch sales records.

Halo 4 made $220 million worldwide in its first 24 hours. This grants it the title of biggest entertainment launch of the year to date.In the US alone, it’s out-performed both 2012′s biggest movie opening – The Avengers – and the all-time record holder – Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2.

GameStop confirmed Halo’s day one sales were even greater than anticipated to become the retailer’s biggest Halo launch, and the biggest game launch of the year to date. Microsoft claims the shooter is on track to reach $300 million in its first week, which will make it the most lucrative launch in the franchise’s history. Lifetime franchise sales have topped $3.38 billion.

Additionally, Halo 4 has pulled in more launch players than any previous entry with 4 million in the first five days spending 31.4 million hours on the game. Look, my napkin maths isn’t all that great, but that certainly seems to be over 3,500 years’ worth. The Halo franchise has produced over 5 billion hours of play time to date.

On top of all that, the Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn series has accumulated over 46 million views.

The latest Call of Duty has taken out entertainment launch records in the UK and US for the past three years running, but has not been challenged by the Microsoft-exclusive Halo series; Black Ops 2 launches today, so we’ll soon see if this is the year Activision takes home the wooden spoon.

1. xxJPRACERxx

Impressive but sad at the same time. Marketing wins!

#1 1 year ago
  2. DSB

Oh look, tits!

#2 1 year ago
  3. reask

It,s a pretty immpressive achievement for 343 and fair play to them for pulling it off.
    My question to the gamers on vg247 is was it worth it?
    By that I mean having played it was it as good or otherwise as the hype.

Halo 3 was my first halo game and I loved it.
    I bought odst and reach day one but passed on 4 as I was getting a bit halo fatiuged at that stage.

I still reckon the halo series brought something innovating to the fps genre and whilst other games since have probably diminished that to some extent we should think back to an earlier time when it did seem to break the mould.

#3 1 year ago
  4. DarthKate8215

of course it beat out those movies. movie tickets are only 8 bucks whereas games are 60. That’s such an inflated comparison.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Gheritt White

Halo 4 is proving to be my fave so far, possibly even better than combat evolved.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Moonwalker1982

Why sad? Really do tell me. Did you even play it? I’m no Halo fan but i bought this game and i am beyond blown away. Doesn’t happen often that you see a product THIS polished, this good looking and so full of awesome content. 100% worth every euro i spent on it.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Gamer4life95

And yet they don’t mention the major price difference between a $60 and $8.00 movie ticket. $60 adds up a lot faster then a $8.00 ticket

#7 1 year ago
  8. Ireland Michael

Speaking in regards to the campaign alone, the whole thing feels like an utterly forced retread. Halo has always had an element of camp, but Chief’s and Cortana’s abysmally average acting are painful to listen to, and the whole drama behind the story is terribly forced.

Gameplay is classic Halo with some new guys – whether that’s a good thing or not is entirely up to you.

Haven’t touched competitive multiplayer yet.

#8 1 year ago
  9. xxJPRACERxx

@6 It’s sad because I think other games like XCOM or Dishonored deserve such commercial success much more than Halo, which is average at best.

And it send the message to publishers that trying to be innovative is just not worth it.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Mike W

So wait….did it sell more than Halo 3 and reach? Because I could’ve of sworn they were several articles stating that it didn’t.

#10 1 year ago
  11. OrbitMonkey

@9, Don’t be silly. The last publisher that tried to copy the big boys was THQ with Homefront. Average game, lots of that magic *marketing * & look where it got them.

The only pubs looking to *do a Halo* are the guys with serious money.

The littler guys know they have to bring something fresh & new to survive.

#11 1 year ago
  12. NocturnalB

@3 You’ve only played 3 and up? Did you even try the Anniversary edition of CE? You missed out on the golden age of Halo. But even still you’re making a mistake by not getting Halo 4, it’s right up there with the greatness of Halo 1 & 2.

and @9

I just do not agree with that at all. I rented XCOM and Bought and beat Dishonored and I’m sorry but to me those games in no way touch Halo 4, they both sucked, they were both just unfun to me, especially XCOM. But this is all just me personally, my own experience. Another thing about it is games like XCOM are a more specific taste, and new. Where as Halo is in a more mainstream genre, and has been around over a decade, built it’s base from nothing just like everyone else. It’s a little insulting to me for you to say those are more deserving. And unlike XCOM and Dishonored at one point in time, Halo actually did break the mould and bring major and exciting changes to the industry and its respective genre.

#12 1 year ago
  13. xxJPRACERxx

@12 Yes, unfortunately I generally not agree with the “mainstream”.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Gadzooks!

Well deserved success for sure.

343i have managed to not only produce by a very large margin the best looking game on consoles, but to do so with all the scope, freedom and terrific AI that Bungie pioneered is quite amazing.

While initially disappointed at losing Firefight mode, I’m loving what is effectively a second campaign in the form of Spartan Ops. It’s got a similar ‘arena’ vibe but feels more urgent through objectives.

Apart from having the best in-game visuals I’ve ever seen, the cutscenes are simply amazing in both campaign and Spartan Ops. Never seen such realistic CG skin as on Halsey in the opening cinematic.

I really enjoyed the story, from Cortana’s descent into rampancy, through the asshole Captain of the Infinity to a Chief who looked thoroughly defeated at the end. For me the story felt a lot more human, while the environments felt more alien than before.

Really liking being able to pick my loadout for MP too, plus some of my gripes have been addressed (like promethian vision combats campers, and having permanent sprint).

The game just oozes quality. 343i have done us proud.

#14 1 year ago
  15. DrDamn

Not beating Reach/ODST was UK chart wise.

Got to play it last week and have to say I was very impressed with what they’ve done. It’s a very, very good looking game – not something you associate with this generation’s Halo’s. It’s pretty safe in some ways, but as an overall package it’s rather lovely.

#15 1 year ago
  16. pukem0n

but movies have a broader market appeal than any kind of games and a greater install base if you like.

dont know what the xbox install base is in the US, lets say 30m without even knowing any number.
    movies can appeal to anyone who lives in the US, so over 200m?

and since movies are cheaper to watch, you rather watch that than play a game.

anyways, no matter if you like Halo or not, this is still a staggering success for both Microsoft and the industry as a whole

#16 1 year ago
  17. DrDamn

The comparison to movies is an odd one as it’s comparing launches – not overall figures. Movies are always going to be limited by the number of screens they are put out on and the number of people who want to watch on opening weekend. Both will obviously have similar profiles in terms of peak at launch trailing off – but longer term you’d think they would diverge. DVD releases, TV deals, rental etc for films, budget releases for games.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Cobra951

@8, see, this is why I held off. I am a solo gamer, a member of that old and endangered species. Without a solid campaign, the game could be the best online shooter ever conceived, and I wouldn’t care. All of the eye candy is fine, but it won’t sell me the game either. Only what I get to do in it, and how much of it, can draw me in.

#18 1 year ago
  19. polygem

@13: you are no alternative underdog if you prefer a game like dishonored…it is still mainstream. gaming is mainstream. this is not punk. sad. true. (punk has become mainstream too;(

halo ce was innovative as hell. the first time i played it i couldn´t believe what happened there on screen. one of my biggest gaming moments as a gamer. ALL halo games have been excelent games though, even if you don´t like them, every gamer with a sane mind would give them credit. the sales are well deserved.

@18: halo campaigns have great replay value. start on normal, then heroic, then legendary (if you dare)…you´ll be impressed about the AI! i am not the biggest game replayer in the world, but halo with it´s great ai and superfun gameplay is a joy to replay. this is my honest opinion. i played every halo at least twice. second playthrough was most of the time even more fun than the first one…and i am not done with replaying them. will probably even do that 10 years from now;)

if you are a single player guy YOU NEED to get the halo games. it´s a great deal. you can replay them forever. the clean artdesign makes them age well too. they are timeless classics with almost perfect gameplay mechanics for a shooting game. all of them. being the best competitve mp game on consoles is just a huge extra.
    i recently replayed halo 2 on the 360….was still tons of fun.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Gadzooks!

#19

Re: The campaign.

Totally agree. The pack AI in Halo makes for such great flow to the combat, and a single Elite or Promethian Knight can be one hell of a challenge on their own. Campaign and Firefight/Spartan Ops is where it’s at for me.

The way battles play out changes subtly in co-op too making it even more replayable.

#20 1 year ago
  21. polygem

@20: exactly.
    halo on heroic isn´t just harder with cheap deaths. it´s the way it is meant to be played. people really need to try that out themselves. the ai is brilliant.

@18: i really recommend picking up an older halo game. maybe even reach, it still looks great and is a very good game. you can get it cheap….i personally played reach 3 times and will definitley play it again at some point. it also has firefight – and invasion is a great online mode for people who are less k/d oriented…

#21 1 year ago