Black Ops 2: Activision “looking at appropriate action” against early sellers

Monday, 12th November 2012 14:34 GMT By Dave Cook

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 launches worldwide tomorrow the 13th of November, although a few retailers broke the street date recently. An Activision exec has revealed that the publisher is now looking at ‘appropriate action’ against offenders.

Speaking with MCV, Activision’s UK MD Peter Hepworth championed vigilant retailers for standing firm, while promising retribution against offenders.

He said, “We take street dates very seriously. The vast, vast majority has held the line. Everyone wants the big community event at midnight when the sales come through. I am aware of some exceptions.

“We are looking at appropriate action. But we are pleased to say we have got the support of all of the retail partners, and they are not causing these issues. They want to help us celebrate it at midnight tonight.”

If you’re planning on buying the game from tomorrow, you can get all of he cheapest prices from our handy UK price round-up here:

1. KAP

You only have to look at Youtube, theres loads of people since last week uploading footage walkthroughs already. There is even walkthroughs of Hitman Absolution up on Youtube already.

Activision “looking at appropriate action” against early sellers”

My arse.

2. G1GAHURTZ

I’ve already had one invite from someone on my FL to play Black Ops 2 since yesterday. (Cheeky sod!)

There isn’t really much that Acti can do to stop independent retailers from giving copies to their mates…

Apparently, this sort of stuff is quite common in Scotland…

I’ll say no more.

3. AmiralPatate

Here is an appropriate action: let it go.
    The few people that get the game early still buy the stupid thing. It’s as ineluctable as piracy. You can’t do a single sausage against it.

4. DrDamn

I think the intended action is against the retailers not the end users. It’s actually reasonably important for independents that the big retail chains keep dates. The big retailers will tend to have stock before the smaller shops, hence for a “fair” release they all need to hold back and sell at the same time.

5. absolutezero

Why get so very precious about it?

I guess Treyarch never wanted people to see the stunning post credits sequence before getting there themselves.

6. AmiralPatate

I know of small stores selling games (and it doesn’t only apply to games) as soon as they get it, which is usually a few day before release date. But that’s a minority.
    The big chains, they know it’s not in their interest, especially if they want their special exclusive piece of useless pre-order bonus DLC.
    Anyways, it certainly not a threat for their big launches.

7. David Kerr

This was basically nonsense. If you are going to write an article with little to no information, it’s probably best if you put your own 2 cents worth in there.
    All I read was: ‘Activision is pissed at little stores that don’t give a shit who are selling their game early. Don’t worry though, they are looking into it.’
    Of course they are pissed! I read that title and thought great! Lets see what they are doing about it. Laws Vs Rules. What can and can’t be done.
    In my mind, it is the same argument as SOPA. You can’t police the internet, with so many games changing hands early.
    If I wanted the game early, I could have went down to my local GForce and picked it up for £50 or $80, DLC bonus in all. Now how can they police that?
    But no. ‘They are looking into it.’ Great. Time well spent.
    However this is all bullshit from someone who was disappointed about nothing. I am actually looking forward to reading VG247′s take on the franchise changes, despite everything in my body shouting at me to just ‘not give a ****’ anymore. Nice going, MW3!