Molyneux isn’t convinced by SmartGlass

Friday, 9th November 2012 13:52 GMT By Dave Cook

Peter Molyneux may have just launched Curiosity: What’s Inside the Cube? on smartphone and tablets this week, but he’s not convinced by the way tablet devices are being used by Wii U and via Xbox SmartGlass. He reckons it’s a case of tech guys running wild with ideas without thinking of the logistics.

Speaking with IGN, Molyneux discussed the problems that come with tablet controllers, “The thing about the SmartGlass is that the tablet is a thing that you have with you all the time. Now, in that sense, I understand completely as a consumer and I’m excited to see what these guys do with it. But I do have a problem with it.

“I now have a screen in front of me on my lap and a screen up on the wall that I’m looking at. Which one should I be looking at? Should I be looking up at the big screen and down, or at my lap and up? Should I be checking down on my lap every few seconds? What’s going to incentivize me to move my eyes from the wall to my lap?

“In a way, part of me is excited by this. But part of me is worried that this is a bit of tech which us tech boys get really excited about, and until I see some really great uses of that SmartGlass or the Wii U GamePad, the jury is out for me to be honest with you. I can see it if I’m watching a football game that the scores would come up on the SmartGlass. I’m all there for that.

“I can see if I’m watching a TV episode and it gives me some background on the actors. I’m kind of there, but I can do that on the internet already. The real use for me is how it’s used as part of the entertainment experience, and then that divided attention that you’re demanding of a player is going to be really challenging to balance well.”

What’s your take on the rise of tablet gaming and control functions linked to home consoles? Are you a fan, or are you a staunch supported of standard controllers? Let us know below.

Also, VG247 interviewed Peter Molyneux recently, where he argued that while the industry makes plenty of good games, it has yet to produce a great one. Find out what he means here:

1. G1GAHURTZ

For possibly the first time ever, I actually agree with something this guy said.

#1 1 year ago
  2. viralshag

I agree with him too. Just give me a normal pad any day, thanks.

#2 1 year ago
  3. DrDamn

The design of the game and your role in it, that’s what determines where your focus is and where you will want to look. Quite short-sighted opinion for a “visionary”. I agree it’s yet to have a killer app, but if you’ve got problems like those he’s describing then it’s a badly designed game, not an issue with the tech. Y’know like Fable 3 for example. ;)

#3 1 year ago
  4. Mike W

Yea I agree with him too.

#4 1 year ago
  5. absolutezero

I have no idea what actually uses Smart Glass yet. Right now all it is on my phone is something to control my Xbox with.

Which is odd because my control pad is always going to be to hand in front of the Xbox anyway.

#5 1 year ago
  6. _LarZen_

For gaming I dont know if Smartglass is the way to go. A Wii U controller on the otherhand is something you get when you buy the system and something you have in your hand while playing.

As a multitask user with two monitors on my computer I dont see the problems with the same thing in games for the Wii U. But the game must use the second screen in a smart way.

As it is now Smartglass in games can only inform you not letting you use the toutch screen for anything game related that will enhance the experience. If it did how would you as a gamer do it?

Have the phone or tablet in your lap all the time? It just aint a solution that will work for a game.

If the WiiU and the contoller is a hit, it wont be long before MS and Sony comes with their own…just wait and see.

#6 1 year ago
  7. alimokrane

I have always thought Molyneux was a guy that simply talked too much without making any freaking sense. Following this, I mayhave to change my mind because he has talked some sense for once.

I simply refuse the idea of having to look at two screens, it’s going to confuse and tire the hell out of me and the last thing I want to do more damage to my eyes. One screen is damaging enough

#7 1 year ago
  8. Gadzooks!

As with most people, Molyneux is missing the point with the WiiU controller.

It should be all about the touchscreen being a configurable INPUT device. In that respect it is totally revolutionary.

Smartglass though – yeah, total waste of time.

The two things are not even vaguely similar.

#8 1 year ago
  9. DrDamn

Yeah the headline is Smartglass but Molyneux is talking about WiiU as well, which is where my initial comment is coming from. Agree with your assessment of smartglass. I can’t see much practical use for gaming – not standard, too awkward in use. Supplementing media uses then maybe, needs to be very seamless though otherwise you may as well just Google, or *shudder* Bing.

#9 1 year ago
  10. M. K.

looks like molineux built a pachter :D

#10 1 year ago