Elite: Dangerous gets debut artwork, new Kickstarter video

Friday, 9th November 2012 14:48 GMT By Dave Cook

Elite: Dangerous is the long-requested sequel to David Braben’s space trading series. The game has currently raised £366,991 of developer Frontier’s £1,250,000 goal on Kickstarter. To celebrate, Braben has revealed new concept art and a trailer. Check them out below.

Braben has revealed all of the new content over on the game’s Kickstarter hub. and offers a simple game synopsis: “Take a ship and 100 credits to make money legally or illegally – trade, bounty-hunt, pirate, assassinate your way across the galaxy.2

Short but sweet indeed. Check out the first batch of Elite: Dangerous concept art here:

1. roadkill

2. Stardog

I don’t get the interest in this game. They’re basically making another X3 or Eve…The only interesting thing about Elite was the real-time travelling.

“Will I be able to speed up time?
    No, not in the sense that “Frontier” allowed you to travel huge distances in a short period of time. Instead we plan to use ‘local hyperspace’ travel. This is because time has to stay locked between the players (otherwise multiplayer doesn’t work).”

3. Len

Aaarrrgghhh…real time / spinning docking fears ahoy again! ;o)

Can’t wait… :)

4. roadkill

@2 Which I don’t have to pay every month to play. Don’t get me wrong I think EVE is funfuckingtastic but I really don’t have money to sustain this addiction right now. Elite on the other hand.. :)

5. Stardog

X3 is offline.

6. TheWulf

I love space games, but I don’t understand why so many of them lately have been so very sterile looking. I guess a lot of why I feel this way is because of Freelancer, which had absolutely brilliant ships. I spent most of my time in Freelancer in a ship that looked like a giant, mechanical space whale, set against a glorious backdrop of coloured nebulae.

This just looks so very dull by comparison, so monotone. But I guess it’s aimed at people who aren’t me, more actuary-minded people who enjoy boring, greyscale experiences. It is a damned shame though that we are getting so many of these.

Could someone please do a colourful space game, with genuinely interesting and oddball ship designs, and varied alien races now? Please?

I find more and more I’m longing for a true sequel to Star Control II. :C

7. Old MacDonald

They’ve still not put it in the correct category on Kickstarter…

Anyway, not pledging at the moment. I understand his enthusiasm for multiplayer, but I do not share it. I might pledge if things look bad for the campaign, because an MP-based Elite IV is better than no Elite IV I guess.