The Elder Scrolls Online dev diary shows in-game footage

Thursday, 8th November 2012 15:13 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The Elder Scrolls Online has a new developer diary available for viewing, and it shows some of the first-ever gameplay footage from the MMO.

In it, the team at ZeniMax Online Studios discusses how it is bringing the history of The Elder Scrolls series to the online masses.

Listen as the team also discusses its vision for the game, including the basics and how its “developing one of the most socially-connected MMOs ever created.”

TESO is slated for release in 2013.

1. Erthazus

Oh my god. That combat system is so innovative.
    they talk like if you click the right button that’s something new.

Generic as fuck.

2. _LarZen_

Look’s nice but will it have that speciall something that just drags you back and back for months/years? Only time will tell….

3. Deacon

Yep. Painfully generic. They sure are playing it safe.

4. Khakimzhan

To Erthazus and Deacon

Actually IT IS F*CKING original for MMO to have this kind of combat system!!!!

5. Deacon

dang! tetchy much?

Which part of it is original? The numbered action slots? Clicking to attack? R-clicking to defend?

The whole things looks about as generic and boring as MMO’s get. It looks on par with WoW which is how old now exactly?

If you’re looking forward to it then fair play. Perhaps you shouldn’t check the comments section next time though.

6. TheWulf

I still can’t get over how bad argonians look…

7. NocturnalB

To each his own. I know I’m not an OG when it comes to TES but i have been playing since Morrowind, and I’m really excited about this game. I don’t feel like it’s too generic. The deciding factor for me is going to be whether or not there is a subscription structure or F2P, and even more importantly whether i like the combat and function.

Graphically and environmentally, I’m already sold. I think it looks great, but like i said, to each his own.

8. TheWulf

But no.

I’m sorry… I…

Those are the worst werewolves I’ve ever seen. In anything. Ever. Ever. They look like wererats. Did you see the ears? Who thought that that was a good idea? What imbecile of an artist thought that that was a good idea? And then you have the argonians… every argonian I’ve seen in this game looks like they have a dessicated skull for a head. Who thought that that was a good idea?

I fear to think of what the khajiit look like because the art is just so tremendously bad. I mean, sure, the environment art is okay? But the character art looks horrible. And the characters move like they have a stick up their butt, they all do.

For fuck’s sake, Bethesda. ART DIRECTION, DO YOU USE IT?

9. NocturnalB

I’ll agree with what you said about the Argonians they do need to make them more accurately resemble… Argonians. But i love the environment art. As far as the werewolves from the video, i actually wasn’t very bothered by them, although i am confused because they are pretty drastically different compared to the werewolf form in Skyrim.

As far as the stiff run yeah that i agree with, they need to loosen it up, i need some fluid and lose movement, combat, and general character gameplay, i cannot deal with a clunky character and mechanics like SWTOR had. I’m just waiting to see.

10. kratos53kc

Game looks great so far, glad exploration is still a key factor in the game. The environments look great, im ready to explore the lands. Argonians need a redo on their face tho, thats true. The head is too wide, imo. Werewolves looked fine, seen Giants, trolls, big spider bitch, wolves, good to see them keeping monsters from the old games in. Storming the Imperial City with a lot of players like that is gonna be so epic tho. Im not big on MMOs, but this looks really great, and i could care less how generic the controls are. Theres a limited amount of ways to vary up the controls in a way that makes sense, some people just love complaining “but something else did that same thing”.
    Im excited for it, its gonna be awesome. The main thing that im still waiting on is quest structure, and how interesting the stroylines will be, etc. Looks and exploration can only go so far.

11. UuBuU

The environments look good enough for an MMO ~ but the characters and combat look completely wrong and out of place in the TES universe.

12. Zohar

As a long time player of City of Heroes and a big Skyrim fan a few things look really promising for me.

Action oriented combat and creative character choices as far as your abilities are concerned. Now here’s hoping they don’t follow the “tank/healer/dps” rules. CoH never had those restrictions and while the game wasn’t overly difficult, it was a lot of fun.

Big, beautiful environments with lots of exploration.

Solo friendly.

This mega-server tech sounds promising. CoH had issues late in it’s life where certain servers were just dead empty. It happens to lots of MMOs. It’s good that they found a way around it.

It sounds like they are actually trying to solve a lot of the issues and tropes associated with MMOs. If it succeeds then this could be pretty good.

I’ve gone from not giving a crap about TES: Online to being at least interested enough to give it a try.

I hope it doesn’t have a traditional subscription model.

13. Puggy

Considering how it looks and how it is developed I can not see it being F2P for starters. Maybe some months after release, though what we have seen so far sounds like Pay to Play to me.

As for the exploring, I am not sold for now. Need to see more of it and the “advantages” you get from it. Really would like a game where I can play and not have to kill a single thing, but rather sneak past them, evade patrols and still get the same (xp, loot, or whatever) as some mindless bot who kills everything it can Tab-Target.

Maybe some real exploration missions where you have to map out a random generated area/instance, get a map of it as reward and can sell it to some cartographers. Maybe there are Critters in the area, but their spawnpoints are not put so, you eventually “have” to kill them.