Star Wars: The Old Republic going free-to-play next week

Thursday, 8th November 2012 14:48 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

SWTOR is going free-or-play next week, Bioware has announced.

The release will be simultaneous across all territories and countries where The Old Republic is available.

The new Free-to-Play option allows gamers to experience all of the class storylines through to Level 50, the current level cap, at no charge and introduces the new Cartel Market.

Paying subscribers at launch on November 15 will be granted all of the Complimentary Cartel Coins currently listed on the Cartel Coin Ledger page, plus a one-time grant of 250 Complimentary Cartel Coins.

Additionally, the Rewards Program has been extended, and all former subscribers who reactivate their subscription by December 20 will be granted Complimentary Cartel Coins for their prior paid months up to November 15.

Earlier today, the F2P date was revealed in an interview through German website Gamona, but removed as the date was still under embargo and was accidentally published early.

A video for the F2P option is below.

1. deathm00n

Hey, now we can see the video

2. OlderGamer

Should have been f2p in the first place.

3. viralshag

@OG, Why? There’s plenty of content worth paying for in TOR.

If anything I think they’ve got it backwards with their F2P offering, IMO the story is what’s worth paying for.

4. Kabby

So much useless shit in that video. They expect people to pay money for that stuff?

5. OlderGamer

Viral Story never sells a MMORPG for one thing.

I knew this game wouldn’t make it before it came out. You obviously enjoy the game, so me starting an argument over it prolly isn’t going to end well. But, if you think I am so wrong, ask yourself why the game switched to f2p in the first place? The answer is because not enough people felt it was worthy to pay a monthly sub for.

Personaly I had zero interest in the game. The only SW game I want to play is Star Wars Battlefront 3. As for MMOs, I am very happy(and busy with) WoW, Rift, and Guild Wars2. I never thought there would be a sustainable market for this game. In the end, there wasn’t. It has zero to do with the quality of the game. If not enough people want to play it, it can’t sustain itself.

6. GwynbleiddiuM

@3 so is in GW2, besides SWTOR’s F2P model is a ripoff. For doing almost everything you need cartel coins, that includes the purple items you loot. How moronic is that?

7. viralshag

@OG, I never said you were wrong. I asked why it should have been F2P from the start?

I said there was content worth paying for and some people continue to do so. They are essentially following the trend most sub-based MMOs are having to do these days with the exception of a few.

Being F2P might have gained a few more players but that doesn’t mean it would have been any more or less successful. GW2 was F2P from the start but that game lasted even less time than SWTOR, for me at least.

8. TheWulf

One of the things that bothers me about TOR still is how much it actually betrays Star Wars. See, one of the more important things about Star Wars, as an IP, is that it has a lot of aliens. And not just humans with bumpy heads, but truly alien aliens.

Yet all of the playable races are essentially humans with bumpy heads or painted skin. They don’t even have wookiees, which are perhaps the most staple Star Wars race of all. Even more sad is that Star Trek Online offers a greater variety of races, including very non-human ones, than TOR does. And when that’s the case, something is very wrong.

But I think that’s always been my issue with TOR. It’s very WoW to be sure, but to me it never felt very Star Warsy.

9. roadkill

Bioware stop lying to our faces! Your model is not free to play. Free to play is what Guild Wars offers. Your model is a little more than WoW 20 levels limit free to play. That doesn’t mean I won’t come back to finish the story. I will. But I’m not going to support you anymore from now on until you treat me with the same respect that I’ve treated you guys for all the years before this and ME3 day 1 DLC came out.

10. freedoms_stain

Yeah, this is one of the worst thought out F2P models I’ve ever seen. It barely qualifies. It looks more like a gutted trial mode.

11. Samuel

If only the game had come out some years earlier, it would have been an amazing success. As big or bigger than WOW. But at the point in time that it came out, it was too late for that model to survive.

12. GrimRita

I just wish EA would stop fucking around and just switch this F2P fully, with MTs in game. Or just admit they got it wrong (again) and turn the thing off.

This F2P model will not help create busy servers like there was at launch and of course, it will see a small boost followed by a decline.

@Viral – OGs point is valid. Had SWTOR been F2P from day #1, then it may not have seen one of the biggest drop in players numbers in MMO history for a 4 month period(1.7 million! OUCH)

We both know that in SWTOR you can rush to lvl50 within 5 days tops if you play it most of the day, which lots did within the first 30 days of play – so that’s another reason why people left. They maxed the game, got bored and didn’t resub.

My gripe with Rift and with SWTOR is that they just do NOT encourage new players in to PvP. The gear grind is just stupid, with 3 levels of gear and the top tier being OTT expensive.

So they expect you to be cannon fodder for months and months and by the time poor Joe Bloggs catches up, they will release some new higher gear.

Its a shame, because I do really love the combat in SWTOR – its probably the best part of the game(apart from the stupid amount of stuns) but its clear Biowares direct is as lacking as their ideas.

13. viralshag

@grim, It’s a valid point based on what exactly? The long list of amazingly successful F2P MMOs?

GW2 is a perfect example to use and seeing as I haven’t heard anything about active players I have no idea what the numbers are but if I were to base it on a personal level, none of my friends that play MMOs stuck with that game longer than a month.

It’s even just launched a friends trial program which I remember TOR got ripped for doing so close to its launch date. F2P isn’t a magical formula for success in any MMOs. You even said it yourself, you can get to 50 in under a week, so I don’t see how F2P would have changed the length of time you stay with the game.

My point is why it should have been F2P from the start? Regardless of the player drop, why turn away paying subs if they are there? Like pretty much all MMOs, whether it be at launch or not, will most likely have to adapt to F2P. I just don’t see how being free from the start would have changed anything other than game making less money for no real reason.

14. Puggy

I think not even F2P will make it moer active. the game itself seems somewhat flawed, I just can’t put my finger on it.

I mean, back in the old days, I had some kind of reason to log into WoW, and if it was only to do some fun Daily missions like bombing runs or jumping on a mountain.

In Star Wars, there were no interesting daily missions. Only go there, Kill, get reward. It was boring and not one thing that somehow broke the mould. So yeah, I figured, maybe I will do Instances (Flashpoints if you prefer, but giving it a new name, does not make it innovative). But finding a group for those was annoying. Sure, get a big guild, get friends, blah blah. As you see, it does not work like that for the average paying costumer, so they added an LFG tool (too late in my eyes, though did it ruin the community as everyone was saying?).

So, in short, as long as I have no reason to log in, I won’t not even if it is F2P. At least in Rift you could work on your planar attunement even after reaching max level. Here you can grind your PvP gear or money. And if you are not into flaming in the Battlegrounds… yeah.

15. wickedcricket

I wish this game could be a little bit more like EVE and for ex. Endless Space, 4X genreally :( Imagine your class (In the SW world) being assigned to a planet (as a quest) and then storyline goes how it goes + you have to expand your planet, build an army (if you want) dependable of economy( +crafting, economy skill tree etc.,etc.) on it, form alliances(diplomacy), go into war with planet with other planet systems, conquer it (territories), build guilds, have a neutral class – something like a rouge jedi/sith class that are nor evil or good, no robots but augmentations, that you can get through out the game or badass PVP when you can lose your limbs and replace them with mechanical augs./impls. that gives you bonuses, bad-ass massive guild battles fully like Guild vs Guild with all the ships and robots and mercenaries ans shit were you command your squad to a complete win/defeat, where you can set up a bounty for some real player by another real player ( a bounty hunter) to get his head or some items of his coz he messed with you or something…..sigh….ah this game should have been soo sooo soooo much different….better… I wish it could I’d pay every penny for that…sigh

16. GrimRita

The point is Viral, that MMOs are all about numbers. If players feels that the population is small in any MMO, then the majority wont stay and play it.

I believe that had SWTOR been F2P from day 1, then they might of had around 3-4 million instant players, instead of the 2 million they started with.

The impact then if people did leave would not have been felt as widely as it did. You lose 1.7 million from 2 in just 4 months, that’s going to hurt big time.

Throw in 2 server mergers – now they have a tiny http://www.swtor.com/server-status list of servers.

But SWTORs overall problem has always been a development team lacking in any kind of creative muscle. THAT, is its achilles’ heel. Do we need more dungeon/flashpoints that have nothing to do with the actual setting of the game? No. If they actually added the war part in to this game, things could become exciting.

17. wickedcricket

@16 yeah exactly imagine some kind of conquerable zones that you have an impact/influence to direct etc. etc. that clan/guild/class clashes! That would be something epic!

18. viralshag

@16, That really makes no sense at all.

You’re not applying the numbers logically or relatively. Even if they had 3-4 million players from the start, the likelihood is 3/4 of that number would have left too.

The major difference being instead of losing 1.7 million sub-paying players over a four month period, you would have lost 2.5-3 million non-paying players. So how would that have, in any way, been beneficial to EA?

What proof is there to say a F2P model from the start would have changed anything? The fact is they made what money they could as a sub-based MMO and now, like pretty much everyone, have to go F2P to try and increase the income.

F2P only changes the payment model, not the game. It would have still suffered with the same issues, if not more. F2P is not a guarantee of keeping players.

19. Hybridpsycho

So it’s finally dying :)

@ People arguing it should’ve been F2P from the beginning.

How about making it not suck instead? One of the shittiest MMO’s that’s been release over the years, and it was made by BIOWARE. Spent all their money on voice so they had nothing left to actually make the game with, great call.

Next time you make a Star Wars MMO, don’t let everyone use Light Sabers. It’s as if everyone would be driving a Ferrari, would not be as cool then.

Oh yeah, and make the gameplay fun as well…also don’t make a dark gritty universe like Star Wars into happy happy rainbow land and cartoony graphics (played til lvl 20 and then got sick of it).