GTA 5 protagonist is an ‘East coast gangster’ – report

Thursday, 8th November 2012 11:03 GMT By Dave Cook

Grand Theft Auto 5 is gearing up for the mother of all Game Informer reveals today at 5pm GMT. Details regarding the game’s protagonist have emerged via print mag ShortList. Check out their coverage below.

The most recent issue of ShortList simply states, “The protagonist is an East Coast gangster” who moved to the game’s Los Santos setting (Rockstar’s take on LA and southern California) for a fresh start. But, as in The Godfather III – just as he thought he was out, they pulled him back in.”

Many reports have named GTA 5′s protagonist as Albert De Silva, who is father and ex-criminal who moves to Los Santos to escape his previous life and to make amends for his misdeeds. However, the old ways catch up with him and he eventually gets caught up in a new life of crime.

Who is the protagonist exactly? The latest piece of GTA 5 art shows a man who looks very similar to the one above, but we’ll know more at 5pm today.

Thanks CVG.

1. DreamCleaver

Aw hell no! I don’t want to play a middle-aged man. If so, no buy for me (assuming it will be ported to PC).

2. Edo

Doesn’t sound very original to me but I guess what is these days.

3. Moonwalker1982

Eh no. The guy looks anything but the dude above. He looks strikingly similar to this guy though

The guy in the headline is actor Ned Luke. And he can clearly be seen in the trailer and one official screenshot.

And it’s not artwork..it so clearly is a screenshot guys!!!!

4. Erthazus

Why Rockstar can’t make a decent character. He is always a gangster. Always

5. Moonwalker1982

Not really. Niko was far from a gangster man. Luis was not a gangster.

6. JeRicHoOL

Because there are so much more possibillities if it’s a gangsta. If you want to play as a father of a family or some kind of crap you should buy another game. This is GTA, it’s about crime (mission-wise)!

7. Edo

@4 What you on about,everyone wants to be a gangsta’ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aufyzMbXDLc !

8. Erthazus

@6, First of all GTA is about the gameplay and not the crime.

For example i’m not really the fan of killing everything in front of me. I enjoy riding and doing stunts and other small little missions.

So Gangsta – not a lot of possibilities.

9. SlayerGT

@8 “First of all GTA is about the gameplay and not the crime”? I disagree with you there. They’re pretty much one in the same.

10. sg1974

Rockstar are the masters of lousy racial, social and cultural stereotypes. Yawn. They have the imagination of a brick. I lasted 30 minutes on the last GTA before my dignity and self-respect kicked in and forced me to give it away.

11. OnionPowder

@10 Wow you are so cultured and so much more intelligent than everybody. I hope the view from that high horse is nice.

12. sg1974

@11 You got all that from one opinion in one post? Well, at least your imagination is more fertile than Rockstar’s.

13. Moonwalker1982

Ok…this whole story has been debunked!!!!!

14. OnionPowder

@12 I’m wearing a blue shirt. Do you need more posts to know I’m wearing a blue shirt?

15. sg1974

@14 Hilarious. I needed a laugh. We’re you captain of your university debating society? Oxford? Cambridge? Comparing the complexities of the human mind, personality and opinions to the colour of a shirt. Aaaahahahahaaaaa.

16. OnionPowder

@15 it’s amazing to me how you can prove my original point is so few words. As my previous point stands I don’t need much more evidence than what you provide to conclude you’re a pompous ass.

17. sg1974

You behaving in a not very intelligent way proves I think I am more intelligent than you? How does that work? Your level of intelligence is unrelated to mine or how I behave, or how I project on to others or perceive myself.

Dig deeper.

18. xxJPRACERxx

@10 First of all, stereotypes are generally based on facts. Also, R* games are satire, so of course they will use and amplify those stereotypes.