Former Squaresoft exec calls Enix merger a “complete failure” – report

Thursday, 8th November 2012 01:20 GMT By Brenna Hillier

In response to Square Enix’s less than stellar financial report this quarter, former Square president and Square Enix executive Hisashi Suzuki has poured scorn on the publisher’s performance. According to Kotaku‘s translation of a series of Tweets, the Sega director apparently argued that a failure to increase stock value since the merger demonstrates that it was a “complete failure”. He also said the joint company has “no vision for the future”. Harsh.

1. Dragon246

Says a current Sega executive :)

2. Clupula

I do have to agree with him on this. There was a time where a game having the Squaresoft logo meant an automatic buy for me. Now, they just put out Final Fantasy and uninspired Eidos titles.

3. jacobvandy

@2 Lolwut? If you don’t like DXHR, then you, sir, are the uninspired one.

4. Sini

he is right, squaresoft>abomination it is now. Only good thing they do is throw money at eidos. Best acquisition since ever.
    @2 ur retarded, eidos is rocking hard this gen.

5. Clupula

One title that’s worth playing is hardly a sign of success and Deus Ex still had a couple problems, even if the overall game was pretty good.

Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs, Dungeon Siege III (I list it, because it would have been likely to be an Eidos release than a Square Enix one), etc… all boring titles. Not into the Thief games and not into the Hitman games either, even if I know they have their fans.

Never been a big Eidos fan.

6. Jerykk

Out of curiosity, what kind of games do you actually like? It seems like you don’t like shooters, platformers, dungeon crawlers, stealth games, beat-em-ups or RPGs.

7. Gheritt White

@5: Since when Just Cause 2 was *boring*?

8. Erthazus

@7, Beyond stunts that game had nothing special compared to other sandbox games.

But anyway, you are a Halo fan, for you anything is not boring.

9. Gheritt White

Oh go fuck yourself Erthazus, you odious little troll.

10. Dragon246

Well, not everyone needs to love any particular studio or game or company.

11. Edo

Put him in asylum…Arkham Asylum and take @5 with him.

12. Digital Bamboo

lol @5 Are you sure you like games? You may be in the wrong place…

13. ManuOtaku

Well i dont agree with him, i have seem great recent games like dragon quest, Final Fantasy, kingdom hearts, the world ends with you, great DS and 3DS RPG games, that is not worth mentionning all of them here, but they are great, therefore from a game perspective i think they are not a failure, and now even more so because they have eidos under their arm.

14. Clupula

@6 – Actually, I tend to like most of those, I just felt the Eidos versions were boring. I felt like Sleeping Dogs was a very cliche story with a poor man’s version of Arkham Asylum/City’s gameplay stuck onto it. The Tomb Raider series has done absolutely nothing for me with the exception of the first one, waaaay back on PS1 and Saturn. Just Cause 2 was just about blowing shit up and that was fun for about five minutes of the demo. I couldn’t imagine playing the entire game if that’s all it really amounted to. RPG’s, I tend to prefer they be Japanese. And even then, in my initial comment, I stated that it’d be nice if they made some games besides Final Fantasy, which is the only console RPG franchise they’re doing anything with anymore, except on handhelds, and frankly, fuck them,

Thief and Hitman just didn’t really do it for me. They’re well made, but I’m not really into the premises, so the games don’t excite me.