Wii U: Nintendo publishes epic unboxing video

Wednesday, 7th November 2012 13:07 GMT By Dave Cook

Nintendo Direct features what could be the most powerful unboxing video ever created. Starring Nintendo president Satoru Iwata, the Wii U unboxing shows all of the components you get in the box, and features some epic music. Watch it below.

Nintendo also published some not-so epic videos to explain how Wii U user accounts will work:

And for Wii U Chat:

Wii U is out across Europe from November 30th.

1. DrDamn

Interesting that they didn’t edit out him being a bit of a plonker with the gamepad stand.

2. silkvg247

HDMI cables can be a bit expensive… Oh really?

3. DrDamn

He’s been talking to a Dixon’s sales person obviously :).

4. Erthazus

HDMI cables can be a bit expensive.. mm yeah..

Well, thank god Nintendo. Free HDMI cable. I think because of that I must buy this shitty console. Maybe two of them so i could have TWO Expensive HDMI cables.

5. ManuOtaku

#4 i will buy two WiiU, eventually, and it is not for the HDMI cables ;)

6. Digital Bamboo

At least it includes an HDMI cable. I was none too happy with Sony after unpackaging my new PS3 only to discover then that it didn’t include an HDMI cable, & I would have to make another trip back to the mall in order to play my $300+ HD console in HD.

7. Erthazus

@6, If you buy an electronic device maybe you should read what is included in the package?

@5, for NintendoLand? Mkay.

8. OlderGamer

Digital Bamboo +1

Neither my XB360 nor my PS3 included a HDMI cable. I am glad to have one packed in.

9. ManuOtaku

#7 Well yes and to have one for me and one for my kids, i dont want to fight over a console.

10. SlayerGT

Seriously fellas if you’re not buying your HDMI’s (or any cables for that matter) from Monoprice, you’re doing it wrong.

11. OlderGamer

It is also very obvious to me that I need to buy a pair of white gloves before my system gets here!!

12. Erthazus

Btw, It’s nice to see Nintendo have finally arrived in 2006.

13. OlderGamer

Whats Monoprice?

Here in the states, a low price 3ft to 6ft HDMI cable runs around 10usd. Better ones can easily cost 50usd. So having it packed in the box is a nice thing.

When I bought my xb360 and PS3, I had to buy HD cables for them both. The HD cables(non HDMI) for xb360 cost me 30usd. I think I spent 20usd for the HDMI cables I have on my PS3.

I gotta be honest fellas if your picking on Nintendo for sticking HDMI cables in the WiiU box, you are really looking for stuff to pick on them for. It is an HD console, it should have HD conections.

Also keep in mind that not everyone is as techie as we are are. It is nice for a family who opens WiiU under the tree this holiday to not have to worry about what they need to get HD out of the system.

14. Dragon246

Cheap HDMI cable doesn’t provide any excuse for selling a technology that’s 7 years old and 150-200$ cheaper at an overpriced rate, something only ninty does.

15. Custard Ganet

Nice video,cant wait to get my hands on the WiiU,hopefully sometime in the new year.

16. OlderGamer

Really Dragon? Hate much?

17. ManuOtaku

#12 Earth “Btw, It’s nice to see Nintendo have finally arrived in 2006″

I wonder how many households did have an HDtv Set on 2006, if i have to guess i will say 5% of the total households, and that will be a very optimistic guess, i think the line will be more accurate this way:
    Its nice to see Nintendo have finally arrived in 2009-2010, which is the year that the HD adoption rate did surpass the 50% rate.

#14 dragon “Cheap HDMI cable doesn’t provide any excuse for selling a technology that’s 7 years old and 150-200$ cheaper at an overpriced rate, something only ninty does”
    It is not 7 years old, if in 2005-2006 the consoles did had 2GB or RAM, and 1080p with 60 fps, then you would had a point, but thats not the case, even now in 2012 WiiU is the only console with those specs, therefore is not 7 years old.

18. SlayerGT

OG I’m not trying to hate. I’m only trying to inform. Monoprice.com manufacturers their own cables. Equal in quality if not better than Monster Cables. Gold plated, snake rapped. I won’t tell you how much they are..go see for yourself ;) it’s all I’ve used this Gen. Flawless my friends.

19. Dragon246

@OG
    No, not at all. Just mentioning the competition like you did yesterday.
    @Manu
    1080p with 60 fps thing for most games is impossible on current console tech, wiiu included. For what its worth, there wont be a single game thats 1080p60 on wiiu and not on 360 or ps3, trust me. The only thing wiiu has extra spec wise is ram (which is dirt cheap now) and gpu (just a bit better than current gen). And its cpu is poorer than 360, let alone ps3. So yeah, its excatly the same tech-wise ie. 7 years old.

20. OlderGamer

I know SlayerGT, I was aiming that at Dragon. And you are right great prices at that site I just checked. But 6ft cable, is 6-7usd, plus shiping. About what you can pay at a store like walmart or best buy. Little bit lower. Plus I am sure the WiiU cables aren’t 6ft, they look closer to three.

So I am not dissing on the site. But, if the cables come packed into the box, isn’t that a good thing?

21. ManuOtaku

#19 Dragonand ” gpu (just a bit better than current gen). And its cpu is poorer than 360, let alone ps3. So yeah, its excatly the same tech-wise ie. 7 years old”

And where is the official confirmation for this that the CPU and GPU are seven years old?, the only official information is that is GPU-CPU integration, therefore it seems it might be not 7 years old,

22. DrDamn

I think the original comments weren’t that it was a bad thing, it’s not, it’s good. Claiming they can be expensive in 2012 is the bad thing. Last one I got had gold plated ends, certified for 3D and about £6.

23. Dragon246

@Manu
    See Digital Foundry’s dev talk regarding wiiu and previews of wiiu games. None of them represent a significant leap over current gen, they are equal in most cases. GPU is more powerful whereas CPU is less.
    You can see why ninty is quiet about cpu of wiiu, while boasting about ram.

24. Zohar

I love Iwata. He’s so down to Earth.

There’s no way the CPU and GPU are below what the PS3 and 360 are capable of. If it is an AMD APU the architecture improvements alone make it superior, even if it doesn’t run at the same frequency. I just refuse to believe a CPU developed this (or last) year will be weaker than almost 10 year old parts. Partly due to logic and partly due to my knowledge of how much more advanced CPU architectures are now.

I don’t know how much RAM the Wii U is packing, but if it’s 2GB that’s already 4x what the current get systems have. It’ll be faster RAM at that.

I don’t think the Wii U will knock socks off, but I also believe people are exaggerating the supposed computational weakness.

25. ManuOtaku

#23 Dragon i have seen other devs stating the quite the opposite, theres not a real confirmation so far, but i got the feeling that the GPU-CPU will be not seven years old, and for that neither current i will say something in the middle for 3 years or so, but it is not old tech, at least not that old.

26. SlayerGT

@OG “About what you can pay at a store like walmart or best buy”.

Not even close in quality OG. But yes, Nin packing in an HDMI cable is nice. Makes XMas morning more pleasant :) Just hope its not a proprietary cable.

27. Digital Bamboo

@7 Thanks for that Erthazus. My point about the PS3 was that it should include the HDMI cable in the box. The games are HD. It has a blu-ray player. Therefore, I assumed that when I paid $300, I’d be able to use those features without having to buy another cable.

It’s a sort of kindness, on the company’s part, to include one. I bought a PS3 slim, in 2011, in Canada. It’s a bit insulting and underhanded for Sony to charge as much as they do, toss an AV cable in (to cover their ass–you CAN still play it), & say “you sort it out.” I mean, what if the store you’re at is sold out of cheap HDMI cables? (As the first 2 I went back to were).

It’s just a pointless pain in the ass, which I’m sure some can relate to, more than others.

Way to buck the trend, Nintendo.

28. Dragon246

They just as powerful as current-gen, game previews show that. If anything, they would find it cheaper than ps3 or 360 because of new manufacturing processes and reduction in die size.

29. Telepathic.Geometry

For what it’s worth, I seriously doubt that the PS4 and NextBox will do 60 frames per second at 1080p. I’d love them to make it a standard, but I think that apart from the odd racing game here and there, they’ll mostly fix it at 30 frames and throw as many fancy special effects and textures and whatnot at the game to make it look sexy.

30. DrDamn

“Way to buck the trend, Nintendo.”

*cough* 3DS XL Power adaptors *cough*

31. mojo

6ft hdmi for 10 dollar?
    wow..
    you get 2m hdmi for under 2 euros here..
    from amazon

32. ManuOtaku

#28 dragon you know quite well the first batch of games for a new console looks almost like the previous gen, if only a little bit better, this always has been the case, and the WiiU is not the exception of that.

33. monkeygourmet

The Wii U will do just fine graphically.

Halo 4 has shown me what can be done with old tech.

I can only imagine how good Zelda, Mario, Star Fox, Metroid etc… Will look on Wii U with the extra power it has.

Your still playing the SAME game you’ve been playing since AC2…

Where’s the innovation in GAMEPLAY?!

@Dragon

Ironically, all those Jap RPG’s you seem to like will prob go to the Wii U based on cheaper dev costs.

I can see a lot of niche games heading to the Wii U when PS4 / 720 come out because it’ll be so cheap to make games for it compared to the more powerful hardware.

I think this coming gen (720/PS4) will be the age of the ‘BLockbuster’ games…

COD, HALO, GEARS, GOD OF WAR, all fighting it out to look best with huuuuge budgets. Gameplay however, will be the same as this gen.

Smaller studios will prob favour the Nintendo hardare, cost wise.

If that does bear true, give me the Wii U anyday of the week! :)

Bayonetta 2 is a good example, i hope they can keep titles like that coming, I expect to see even more suprises from Nintendo at E3 next year.

Hopefully an exclusive Resi Evil, Vanquish 2, things like that.

34. DrDamn

@MG
    “People are seriosly deluding themselves if they think the 720 / PS4 are going to be huge leaps gameplay wise. Even graphically they’ll pale in comparison to PC’s we have now, so i think Nintendo have made the right choice with the Wii U specs wise.”

Given we don’t even know what the 720 and PS4 are going to be yet that’s some impressive conclusion jumping. For all we know the 720 will actually be a chunky tablet you can dock with your TV.

“Take Assassins Creed 3 for example. When it releases on the PC it’ll look amazing. But, it’ll still have all the gameplay faults from the console versions.”

Isn’t that a good example of a PC game being held back by lower denomination consoles?

“Of course they’ll be some cool games on 720 / PS4, but if you really think the experiences are going to be so much better because of shiny graphics, you are soooo wrong.”

I think experiences are going to be better for a lot of reasons, better processing, better OS, better social integration, better control options and better graphics. Next generation is defined in a lot more ways than better graphics.