Mortal Kombat movie reboot in the works, stars supermarket worker

Wednesday, 7th November 2012 12:02 GMT By Dave Cook

Mortal Kombat is receiving a $40 million movie reboot over at Warner Bros, and you won’t believe the plot.

We know Johnny Cage, we can’t believe it either, but Total Film reports that production has already begun. It is said to star a supermarket employee who learns of their untapped super powers. They then embark on a quest – replace ‘quest’ with ‘hitting people’ – to the tune of a $40-50million production budget.

Warner executive Lance Sloa told Total Film, “We’re preparing right now for the film with Kevin Tancharoen, [who] directed the digital series for us. He’s at the helm of the forty, fifty million dollar film.”

It is said to be a reboot of the 1995 original, which – amazingly – could possibly still be one of the most faithful game movies to date.

Now everybody. Hit it!

1. NinjaMidget

Hahaha, wow. That tune brings me back instantly to watching Mortal Kombat as a kid!

2. fightclubdoll

I really liked the first one, even with Goro looking like a cheese sculpture. The timing for it was just right. I still have it on DVD. I guess if it’s done right, a reboot could be successful, but I wonder if the timing now works against it. It’s no longer the heyday of MK.

3. hypeb147

As long as the fight scenes are good (I mean Tony Jaa good) then this movie will do fine

4. Custard Ganet

Absolutely,get Tony Jaa in there!

5. The_Red

Modern Hollywood can’t make something that good and they probably won’t hire the choreographer of those films.

6. The_Red

Was this really an official announcement? I felt like the Warner Bros exec was talking about MK Legacy Season 2 and just threw random and probably unofficial quote about a movie to hype the web eries.

7. yeoung

Tony Jaa movies are that good because he actually kicks people in the face. Actors and extras in his movies get paid to take a couple hits to the jaw whereas Hollywood actors get paid to pretend to get hit in the jaw.

It’s nowhere near as obvious as ye olden days, where fists would swing a good couple feet away from mr. bad man but still the difference shows.

OT: I totally loved the original MK movie but I sincerely hope it won’t just focus on one human character, as they are usually the most boring characters in the MK universe. Here’s to hoping Kung Lao’s 50/50 fatality makes the screen, definitely my fav from MKII

#7 9 months ago
  8. yeoung

Also I totally just commented on an article from a year ago, trying to add to the discussion.

fml