Curiosity: Molyneux dreams of 100 million users in one day

Wednesday, 7th November 2012 12:43 GMT By Dave Cook

Curiosity: What’s Inside The Cube? creator Peter Molyneux has laid out his wildest dream for the project: to see 100 million people tapping away at it in one day.

Speaking with TheNextWeb, Molyneux stated, “What we’ve got written on the wall is that someone – hopefully it’s going to be us – will make a game that will touch a hundred million people in a single day.”

“Now just imagine that,” he asked, “Imagine being part of a team that’s going to make something that a hundred million people interact with. That is our obsession, and that is our absolute focus.”

On the issue of mobile formats – of which Molyneux is very fond – the developer stated, “The tech world is obsessed with smart devices. That means that all the innovation is going there. If you look at Apple and Samsung and Microsoft, they’re all releasing products every month, practically. The poor old consoles go through seven year cycles.”

Molyneux added, “That means that the current consoles out there haven’t had any new hardware put into them and that makes it more difficult for people to innovate on. I think there will be a new console generation coming very soon. We’ve got the Nintendo Wii U coming out this holiday so you’re going to start seeing some innovation there, but it’s been a while.”

VG247 interviewed Molyneux recently to discuss his plans for Curiosity and the game it will eventually lead to. It will be developer 22 Cans’ one and only release. Check out what he said here.

The cube is about to break through to layer two. It currently looks like this:

Update: We’ve just spotted that the cube has a congratulatory message for Barack Obama who was re-elected last night. Check it out:

Thanks CVG.

1. fightclubdoll

I hope there’s a Tootsie Pop in the middle.

2. Deacon

And already I can’t wait for this ‘experiment’ to be over.

3. ManuOtaku

With that many people involve the game will get more curioser for sure ;)

4. viralshag

Make a Facebook game then. I can’t help but feel this will end in another Molyneux-idea which, in his mind, will be amaaaaazing but to everyone else will be kinda crap.

I get this impression he sits there selling himself his own ideas to the point he actually believes it really is something special.

5. ududy

So being popular and mainstream is Peter’s dream now? Connecting billions through lowest common denominator activities? That’s beautiful, man.

6. OrbitMonkey

It’ll be the video clip doomed teens from “The Ring” watched at the centre, oh yes.

7. Deacon

Totally agree with you Viral, though I’m beginning to think this is more about publicity than anything else.

8. RandomTiger

@7 Its probably is about publicity too but I think its great hes doing this if its going to feed into a more conventional product in the end. Even just on its own I think its really inspiring.

You want new interesting games? Well someones going to have to try out some new stuff, the best way to do that is to prototype and gather data before you commit to using it in a big product and risk expensive failure.

9. viralshag

@8, But what do you find inspiring about this?

I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a big drop in people doing this before anyone actually gets to the “prize”. I have a feeling it will end up being a few thousand dedicated people.

I actually think “Dedication” would have been a better name. I’m somewhat curious, and I’ll follow the progress through VG247. I have little dedication to actually tap blocks away.

10. RandomTiger

@9 To see people all operating in the same space at the same time, to explore the surface of a cube and see peoples names, and patterns and other features scratched into the surface. All to hype up the question of whats in the box which should be an interesting question on any day. Its an event, I don’t believe its been done before. I think its one of those things that is what you bring to it. Ultimately to imagine the possibilities in which something like this could be realized in a game.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not going to sit and madly tap for hours, I’ll probably just do a few squares each layer to see whats going on each day. And the surprise, well Peter, bless him, is the master of over promising and disappointing but I’m not going to win anyway, so what does it matter. Its all free, whats not to like? Sit back and enjoy the show.

11. Deacon

I couldn’t disagree more about this being ‘inspiring’.

Sure, it’s scale is massive. And ok, this may be somewhat of a technical achievement (providing the legs don’t completely fall off). I still completely fail to see how anything can be taken from this and used to develop a GAME (which is what this is all heading toward right?).

Molyneux just seems to want to jump on what’s new and big.

12. Ireland Michael

The whole thing is great… as long as you stop looking at it as a game. Because its really stretching the term thin.

13. Dragon246

Coming from a person who was just months ago in MS lap making games for those same consoles. I hate devs like that who think they need a new hardware to do something new. The truth is instead of doing anything new, they sell the same things again.
    Mobile games doesn’t need new hardware, Apple/Google/Samsung/MS need that as the want people to lap their newest gadget.

14. Deacon

“I hate devs like that who think they need a new hardware to do something new.”

Yeah, this.

15. Dragon246

A correction, Molyneux isn’t a dev, Molydeux is :P

16. viralshag

First layer was just cleared! Now it’s red! Oooo!

17. RandomTiger

Awesome, I was guessing red or orange so I’m happy.

18. Deacon

I think a lot of people are going to feel cheated when it comes down to that last little cube…

19. Dave Cook

@18 Why?

20. Ireland Michael

@20 And I’ve asked the question before, with no answer…

…what if the prize does genuinely turn out to be life changing?

21. RandomTiger

@13 I’d agree with some of that, I cant think of a hardware reason you couldn’t do this on a 360 or PS3. But it basically wouldn’t work, it would be difficult to release on those platforms due to red tape and much lower numbers would interact with this experience on a TV using a controller.

22. Deacon

@19 I’m just thinking if there’s thousands of people who have put a lot of time into this, and only one FINAL block to tap, that some of those people may feel that they were the one who tapped the last block when in reality they only stood 0.0001% chance of being ‘that person’. Not sure how it’ll work once it gets that far in.

I know I’m coming across like a massive hater. I’ve tried to have people explain the merits to me, but it seems I just can’t ‘get it’.

And Michael, what IF the prize is life changing? So what? What would that mean or have proved?

23. OrbitMonkey

It’s just another internet distraction, thats going to convince some people there actually doing something worthwhile. A large electronic lie, that drones will swallow wholesale, so they can brag that their part of something bigger than they are, that they matter.

I’m on facebook, I’m sociable, I’m on Twitter, I’m a writer, I’m playing Minecraft, I’m a architect.

No. Your not.

The secret at the centre of the cube will be a calculator that will the *winner* how long they spent tapping a screen.