Gran Turismo series has shifted 67.8 million units to date

Tuesday, 6th November 2012 11:09 GMT By Dave Cook

Gran Turismo 5 may have taken an age to release, but why rush it when sales of 67.8 million is the reward? Developer Polyphony Digital has released official Gran Turismo series stats. Anyone want to guess which game has sold the most? Find out below.

The stats, as published on Polyphony’s site, show a series in rude health. Here’s a global breakdown of units sold across the series so far:

• Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec (PS2) – 14.89 million
  • Gran Turismo 4 (PS2) – 11.6 million
  • Gran Turismo (PSX) – 10.85 million
  • Gran Turismo 2 (PSX) – 9.37 million
  • Gran Turismo 5 (PS3) – 9.01 million units
  • Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (PS3) – 5.35 million
  • Gran Turismo (PSP) – 3.86 million
  • Gran Turismo Concept Series (PS2) – 1.56 million
  • Gran Turismo 4 Prologue (PS2) – 1.4 million

It comes as Gran Turismo 6 is already confirmed as being in development for PS4. With numbers like these, who could blame them?

Thanks IGN.

1. G1GAHURTZ

Whoa!

So GT5 still hasn’t even managed to outsell the original GT??

I think that pretty much sums up how badly the PS3 has done compared to most people’s expectations at the beginning of this gen.

#1 1 year ago
  2. wiozan

You cant enjoy a brilliant game, if it doesnt sell X amount? Whats wrong with you…

#2 1 year ago
  3. G1GAHURTZ

I didn’t mention the quality of the game. That’s a completely different issue.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Erthazus

“So GT5 still hasn’t even managed to outsell the original GT??”

GT1 more then 10 years. GT5 less then 3 years at best on the system that has done 65 million units to date.

5 years later GT5 will outsell GT1 for sure.

9 million is already impressive for the exclusive title.

#4 1 year ago
  5. G1GAHURTZ

That kind of backs up my point when you look at the figures, since the top two GT titles are on PS2.

#5 1 year ago
  6. stevenhiggster

Only on a gaming site could anyone try and spin that sales of 9+million are bad! Lol, gtfo.

#6 1 year ago
  7. G1GAHURTZ

^ Go learn to read.

Where did I say that 9m+ sales were “bad”?

#7 1 year ago
  8. TFPtMaster

Great numbers for a huge franchise.

#8 1 year ago
  9. SlayerGT

I wish they’d show Tourist Trophy’s numbers. I’m so curious.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Erthazus

@5, that kind does not backs up your point because

GT5 prologue on the PS3 – 5 million
    GT4 Prologue on the PS2 – 1 million

different consoles, different times.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Dragon246

Best racing simulation series has the highest sales. Nothing surprising here. Waiting for GT vita.

#11 1 year ago
  12. G1GAHURTZ

@10:

Well, I wasn’t talking about prologue, but those sort of numbers are what I’d expect to have seen at the beginning of this gen.

This is what I’m saying.

At the beginning of this gen, most people expected the PS3 outsell the PS2, like the PS2 out sold the PS1.

Obviously, this is going to be reflected in the biggest 1st party games, just as GT3 has outsold both GT1 and GT2 in less time.

So at the beginning of this gen, on paper, GT5 sales should have blown GT1 sales away, just like the CoDs, the FIFAs, and the other top franchises have done to their prequels.

That hasn’t happened, and all I’m saying is that the PS3s current ‘plight’ is summed up by what has traditionally been it’s top selling title.

The game has done really well, the console has done really well, but nowhere near what was expected. Even more so now that we’re talking about final versions of PS4 dev kits being only a few months away.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Ireland Michael

@1 Considering the original games was in production longer than GT5 has even been out, it doesn’t say anything at all.

They were still re-issuing the original game for a good half a decade after its release. GT5 hasn’t even hit the 2 year mark yet.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Christopher Jack

I used to like GT but it hasn’t evolved very much, I think their biggest problem is shooting to high but never fully delivering, Sony as a whole really needs to adjust their expectations.

#14 1 year ago
  15. G1GAHURTZ

@13:

Compare it to CoD/Halo/Gears/FIFA/Madden/etc, which break previous sales records within weeks.

The GT series should be in that league. We’re not talking about your average game, here.

#15 1 year ago
  16. freedoms_stain

@15, Yes, certainly one would expect a single format title from a niche sports genre to sell more units on a platform that has to date sold less units than its predecessors and it’s highly applicable to compare those to multiplatform titles such as the most wide-appeal focussed FPS of all time and games based on 2 of the most popular sports on the planet.

#16 1 year ago
  17. G1GAHURTZ

^ You might want to add some punctuation so that I can actually read whatever it is that you’re trying to say.

#17 1 year ago
  18. DrDamn

Gears 3 hasn’t outsold Gears 1 or 2 yet, Halo Reach and ODST haven’t outsold Halo 3.

GT1 didn’t really have any serious competition, now there are great titles on PS3 and other competing platforms.

It’s quite a complex situation and the only thing I think you can draw from it is if PS3 had better sales figure then GT5 would have sold more.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Ireland Michael

@15 Those games don’t mean much in comparison when the sales of most of them don’t even come close the sales of the average Gran Turismo game.

A game doesn’t need to sell 20 bazillion copies in a month to be a stellar success. It’s already made its profit ten times over.

The number of sales for GT5 are even more impressive when you consider that the PS3 doesn’t even hold half the market share it did in the last generation. Half the consoles sold, yet it’s easily on track to outsell most of the series in half the time.

#19 1 year ago
  20. OrbitMonkey

Well GT5 Prologue & GT5 combined top 14 million… Coming just under GT3… But woah! GT2 sold less than GT1!

That’s says something right there! Not sure what mind… Maybe that geeks get all excited over numbers?

#20 1 year ago
  21. OlderGamer

Last I checked Mario Kart Wii sold 32million copies. Apples and oranges I know. Just saying.

Infact:

MK on SNES – 8Million
    MK on N64 – 9Million
    MK on GBA – 4Million
    MK on NGC – 7Million
    MK on DS – 22Million
    MK on Wii – 32Million
    MK on 3DS – 5Million

Total is roughly 87Million Copies. I find the 3DS on most impressive thus far because it launched last year and it is on a handheld.

Of course these numbers could be off, and getting concret numbers for game sales seems to be something that is kept close to the vest, unless a company wants to brag and show off, and there again validating those numbers can still be tough. At some point your basicly taking someones word for it.

For what it is worth I loved the first GT, enjoyed one of them for PS2(sorry forgot the number, was prolly #3), and thought the horrible load times ruined GT5 for me. I own most of the GTs. Dont own the prolouges. Decent games. If they can fix the load times and a few of the dumb ass things in GT5 for the next release in the franchise, I will prolly buy and enjoy that one too.

#21 1 year ago
  22. G1GAHURTZ

@18:

Link? (For Gears)

Also, I would put Reach and ODST in the same group as Prologue, rather than a fully fledged sequel.

@19:

1. I’m talking about RELATIVE success.
    2. I’m pretty sure that people are always going on about how PS3 sales are pretty much on track with PS2 sales.

#22 1 year ago
  23. freedoms_stain

@17, the total size of the Playstation audience has shrunk by more than half, GT3 sold to roughly 9% of the PS2 audience, GT5 has sold to roughly 14% of the PS3 audience. If you consider that the GT audience has split in 2 (over the PS3 and the 360) and that GT can only sell to half that audience, then actually GT is doing very well in the reality of the market.

CoD, FIFA, Madden, their audiences have grown and shrunk in line with the total market because they sell on every platform in the market. CoD in particular has in fact expanded its audience over time by increasing the number of platforms it sells on if I’m not mistaken. Thus comparisons with these titles on raw sales figures alone is statistically insignificant.

#23 1 year ago
  24. DrDamn

Link for Gears? How about you provide one as it was you who made the point in the first place hmmm :).

Reach and ODST are no way the same as Prologue. Prologue is a glorified demo which they charge for. ODST you could argue was more of a campaign pack, Reach was a game in it’s own right.

What’s Mario Kart Wii got to do with it?

#24 1 year ago
  25. AmiralPatate

What Gigahurtz says makes sense to me.

There are more gamers and gaming systems than ever in videogames history. It’s a fact, just look at COD figures.
    Gran Turismo is not a niche game. It’s a blockbuster, and a bloody killer app. Gran Turismo is a name that sells Playstations by truckloads.

So at a time where Call of Duty moves 20+ million units every year, you could rightfully except a best selling franchise like GT to break records. But it did not.
    That is a consequence of Sony’s marketshare being significantly lower than it was in previous generations. And that is why we can say the PS3 isn’t doing that great.

#25 1 year ago
  26. SlayerGT

Freedoms +1

#26 1 year ago
  27. Clupula

I’ll say it: I don’t get it. Nor Forza. Nor Ridge Racer. I just don’t get racing games. Of course, I also don’t get real-life racing. Why someone would want to see someone drive in a circle for an hour completely boggles my mind. I kinda like Wipeout, but only because of the ability to blow up other cars during the race.

Otherwise, this genre has always been a mystery to me.

#27 1 year ago
  28. OlderGamer

Not much Doc, unless you are overly impressed with the numbers for GT. Then I supose MK numbers could be healthy perspective. Aka, good for Sony, not that big of a deal, next….

#28 1 year ago
  29. Gekidami

^ Fanboy level is over 9000.

#29 1 year ago
  30. SlayerGT

@27 I’d wager it starts with an interest in automobiles. Do you like cars?

#30 1 year ago
  31. G1GAHURTZ

This was my entire point in the first place, which people don’t seem to be able to grasp.

The only thing that I said had done RELATIVELY badly in my original comment was the PS3.

All this time, I’ve been talking a out a console, but people are struggling with this. In fact, the quote above completely validates my point, once again. More people should be buying GT games, more quickly. Just like the other big franchises. And they ARE!

But due to the RELATIVELY low sales of the PS3 CONSOLE, the overall number of sales for its biggest franchise hasn’t yet reached that of it’s first iteration yet.

The console is holding the game’s sales back, because it’s not doing what was expected of it at the beginning of this console gen.

And now we’re only about 1 year away from an expected PS4 launch.

#31 1 year ago
  32. Dragon246

Whats your point? Useless fanboyish comment. And yeah, MK released on 7 consoles, GT on only 4.
    NFS is the highest selling racing game, but its not simulation.
    For me, criterion makes the best arcade style and polyphony make best simulation games.

#32 1 year ago
  33. Clupula

@30 – Well, that’s probably part of it. Nobody drives in New York City unless you’re a cab driver or from out of town. But then again, I’m not sure I’d be very interested in a subway simulator.

#33 1 year ago
  34. Clupula

I was wondering why Mario Kart was even being mentioned in this conversation in the first place.

#34 1 year ago
  35. G1GAHURTZ

@24:

I originally looked before I wrote the first comment, but couldn’t find one. I just assumed, based on Epic’s $1bn press release for Gears 3.

Anyway, regardless, you are right that it is a complex issue, but we still have the fact of the PS2s GTs both outselling the PS1 versions.

I just don’t see that trend continuing with the PS4 on the horizon. Also, backwards compatibility will surely be a key feature, here.

#35 1 year ago
  36. DrDamn

So why did you need GT5 sales figures to tell you this? Your conclusion is purely about the PS3. You can look at PS3 sales figures and reach that conclusion. Why look at the point through the cloud of figures which are affected by a lot of other factors? Why not look at the point itself?

#36 1 year ago
  37. SlayerGT

@33 Ha! :) nice. I love cars myself. Bought GT1 when I saw how real it looked (wow don’t go look at screens) and how many cars it had. Civic hatch-backs what? Anyway I sucked at it. But the challenge to master and learn to control the cars was too great. The game actually taugh me plenty about why cars behave the way they do and how to go faster. Believe it or not its saved my life (ok maybe just money) at least once. I think more people would play racers if they could with a steering wheel. I know a few folks that would play them but don’t because they can’t get past the controller.

#37 1 year ago
  38. OlderGamer

Sure Dragon, but NFS is a multiplat game. GT is only on Sony systems, MK is only on Nintendo systems.

Doesn’t matter if it is sim, arcade or otherwise. It would be like putting out a piece showcasing Namco fighter sales, priasing them. While at the sametime ignoring Capcom fighter sales. If you are going to say “wow, look at me!!” There should be some note as to where those numbers stand in the market place. For perspective.

Just as an abstract example. If you sold 5Million copies, that sounds impressive, unless your competetors games are selling 16Million and 22Million.

In this case with actual numbers, GT has sold well. Very good. But isn’t market leading, not in its own genere(racing) or in the general market pool(across all generes). And one other tid bit to keep in mind, while Sony market share has droped, the actual market has expanded scince PSx and PS2. If anything the new GT game should have seen a dramitic increase in sales, exactly like G1GA has been pointing out.

#38 1 year ago
  39. G1GAHURTZ

@36:

I was expecting GT5s sales to be higher.

The fact that they’re not just really summed up the PS3 sales situation to me, so I made a simple comment that people got carried away with, that’s all.

It’s like you know that you weigh 2 stone more than you should, but it doesn’t really hit home until you see a picture of how you looked 3 years ago…

#39 1 year ago
  40. Gekidami

Wow OG, you really are butt hurt, arent you.

#40 1 year ago
  41. DrDamn

Fair enough – this has blown way out of proportion to your original comment :).

#41 1 year ago
  42. G1GAHURTZ

Tell me about it…

LOL!

#42 1 year ago
  43. freedoms_stain

@31, taking shots at the PS3′s sales performance is entirely irrelevant though, perhaps that’s why you’ve perplexed everyone. Nobody predicted the market this generation, Nobody has sold >150 million units, and it’s unlikely anybody will. The best selling machine is one of the worst places to release software for 3rd parties and emergency motion control systems did nothing to bolster sales for the other competitors.

#43 1 year ago
  44. SlayerGT

We might as well bring Forza’s figures into the convo. Anyone know the figures?

#44 1 year ago
  45. G1GAHURTZ

I didn’t “take shots”, I made a simple comment that overly (gaming format) defensive people took completely out of context.

Nobody predicted the market this generation

What an utterly ridiculous thing to say.

#45 1 year ago
  46. ManuOtaku

Guys if OG had put another nintendo series, like mario galaxy or wii sports i would have agree with you, but mario kart at is core is a racer, and we are taliking about a racing game, i wonder if modnation racers comparision would had raised so many comments agaisnt it.

#46 1 year ago
  47. freedoms_stain

@45, I meant Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo in terms of releasing a >150 million selling dominant product to the market. 3rd party analysts are irrelevant.

And you did “take shots”, that’s what using negative connotations is.

#47 1 year ago
  48. DrDamn

It’s a very different type of game on different machine in a different situation. What’s the point?

#48 1 year ago
  49. ManuOtaku

#48 as for the different machine i agree doc, as for different type of game, both are racers one a sim and the other a kart, but racers, i think his point was that sold numbers of a racer, like GT or Mario kart will depend on the whole console audience, hence that the more audience the more sale perhaps, i think if you look at his numbers theres no wonder why the DS and wii version are the most sold mario kart iterations, i think that might be his point, therefore i dont see why the reference is that off.

#49 1 year ago
  50. SlayerGT

I’m kinda surprised by the GTPSP. I didn’t think it’d sell that well.

#50 1 year ago
  51. DrDamn

The market for an arcade racer like Mario Kart and the market for a sim-like racer is completely different.

In terms of sales. Yes sales will obviously have some correlation to installed user base. However the key point there is “obviously”. That’s a given. It doesn’t need a different type of game, on a different machine, where there is little competition for that sort of game (on that machine or any other) example to make that obvious point – does it?

#51 1 year ago
  52. G1GAHURTZ

@47:

How are third party analysts irrelevant?

Just about every single analyst around said that the PS3 would do much better than it has done before release.

That affects consumers, and that influences sales.

And connotation doesn’t have anything to it. Or are you telling me that no one can make a comment on what Sony is doing wrong without “taking shots”?

Do we all have to say positive stuff, and nothing else, now?

#52 1 year ago
  53. DrDamn

Yeah that is odd, it was bobbins. There was a decent sized user base though.

(see how I did that in a couple of short sentences without trying to shoehorn in my platform of choice).

#53 1 year ago
  54. ManuOtaku

#51 Doc, well i see it because both are the main racers for each respective manufacturer one for Sony and the Other for nintendo, nintendo not doing sims, mario kart is their example of their prime and big racer, like forza for that matter in the microsoft side, so for me those three are in the same category all of them are jugernauts for their respective makers in the racer category, is that i just got the feeling that OG could stated his opinion, wrong or right is worth discussing, but is better than being shut up or not comenting at all, it would be bad only if his main intention was to troll or start another war consoles thread, i dont think OG had neither of them IMHO.

#54 1 year ago
  55. DrDamn

I don’t think it was OGs intention to troll, but it was Nintendo shoe-horned in to a conversation where it really wasn’t necessary, or in my opinion that relevant.

#55 1 year ago
  56. OlderGamer

Not trying to troll just widen the conversation and put more perspective on it. I have been trying to get some Forza numbers, no luck thus far. I have links suggesting that Forza has moved around 10Million, but the info is out of date and I trust it even less then I normaly trust sales numbers.

And ofc, once people started pointed pointing fingers(Sony fans), I stoped with the thread. Some folks like to live in their bubbles, I guess.

Only other thing I will say is that Nintendo platforms are also home to several other racing games, from Nascar to NFS to GTs(No not Polyphony Digitals GT) to other Kart games. Mario Kart just sells really well.

If you are for more of an apple to apple compare and contrast Take a peak at Modnation racers, or Crash Kart(back when that was out). Or keep an eye on LBPK. But I don’t feel that there is a different demographic when looking at racers. I understand there are different types of racers, but in the over all scheme of things I don’t think it matters. I own Mario Kart and Gran T. for example. Esp with todays sim racers offering so many driver assists, they are nearly arcade experiences to begin with.

So in my mind a racer is a racer. Just like I wouldn’t differentiate between Tekken and BluBlaze and Street Fighter 4. Fighters all of them. I know some folks would disagree, but that is just my take on it.

#56 1 year ago
  57. Dragon246

@G1GA
    You are completely right in saying ps3 will not reach ps2 levels, but it has a very good chance of surpassing ps1 sales. Ps3 will cross 360 (for whatever its worth) in terms of units sales, and with wii being dead for a long time now, I fully expect both 360 and ps3 to reduce the sales margin to 10-15 million range, with ps3 making the most out of it. Remember that sony is very good at prolonging their console cycle, with ps1 outselling ps2 in 1st year and same thing with ps2 and ps3.

@OG
    Tell me how you conveniently forgot to mention MK being 5 years older than GT series and what about the fact that it released on 7 consoles than GTs 4 consoles?
    Fun Fact- Remove psp and ds figures and you have both series neck to neck. Good for a series that started 5 years late.
    Each GT main entry reaches 10 million, whereas 54 million of that grand figure of 87 million of MK came from just 2 entries, that says something. Effectively, GT was leading before the current gen came.

“Mario Kart just sells really well. ”
    Yeah? How about you remove current gen entries and talk about it? It just sold well recently. Its funny how you took just 2 entries out of 7 and spun it off as a general statement that MK sells really well.

But that’s not the point, both have different markets.

#57 1 year ago
  58. Clupula

See, I think a Forza comparison is completely justified. A Mario Kart one is not. They are two totally different types of racers.

If we were talking about Modnation Racers, THEN Mario Kart would be appropriate.

#58 1 year ago
  59. SlayerGT

@50 Doc did you not like GTPSP? (forgive me I don’t know what bobbins means :)

#59 1 year ago
  60. ManuOtaku

I think mario kart is for nintendo what gran turismo and forza are for theirs respective manufacturers, is their big and prime racing game, the thing it is not sim is kart, but for nintendo mario kart represents the same as the other two, is their flagship racer.

#60 1 year ago
  61. OlderGamer

Like Manu said, top exclusive racers for their respective platforms.

Even in recent memory Dragon MK outsells GT. Look at DS VS PSP. Or Wii vs PS3. I don’t think the age of the franchise matters, unless all you are doing is looking at the total sales numbers. And keep in mind MK doesn’t come out multiple times during one system cycle. in other words PSx had 2 GTs, N64 had one MK. PS2 had 4 GT releases, NGC had just one MK. PS3 has had 2 GTs and Wii only had One MK.

If we just compared Modnation to MK the gap would be even wider.

#61 1 year ago
  62. Dragon246

“Even in recent memory Dragon MK outsells GT. Look at DS VS PSP. Or Wii vs PS3. ”
    ONLY in recent memory MK outsells GT. As I said earlier, remove those 2 examples and MK becomes a 30 million franchise, which is very bad for a “flagship” franchise.

“I don’t think the age of the franchise matters, unless all you are doing is looking at the total sales numbers. ”
    Well you brought MK ltd sales just to prove something.

“If we just compared Modnation to MK the gap would be even wider.’
    No problem, that would be a fair comparison as both cater to same audience.

#62 1 year ago
  63. freedoms_stain

@52, you took my comment out of context and started going on about 3rd party analysts, when I said “nobody predicted the market” I was specifically referring to hardware manufacturers developing a product that would capture a similar market share as the PS2 in the last generation. Nobody has produced such a product, therefore they failed to predict what the market wanted. I thought the context of the comment reflected that, but perhaps not if you just chop off the start of the sentence and disregard the rest. 3rd party analysts are irrelevant to my specific comment because they’re not producing products that are competing in this market.

You’re never going to admit to this, so it’s a pointless discussion, but your language is clearly negative, read it back yourself. It’s not an objective comment that serves any purpose other than to cast a negative light on the situation. There’s nothing wrong with criticism when it’s relevant, but when it’s out of place you come across as an arse, like now.

If you want a relevant comparison compare the game with its competitors in todays market. It has sold better than any of the Forza games btw.

#63 1 year ago
  64. G1GAHURTZ

That makes absolutely NO sense at all. At least, not in English. If what you meant to say was that none of the console manufacturers were able to recreate the sales that the PS2 was able to achieve, then that’s what you should have said.

Everybody already knew what the market wanted. And it didn’t cost $599 or £429, and have hardly any games. The market wanted good quality, innovative, next gen games at a good price.

They still do.

If Sony couldn’t provide that, or if Microsoft couldn’t provide reliability, or if Nintendo couldn’t provide core games, then that’s their fault for no being able to deliver.

And with regards to negativity, then it’s all in your mind. It’s clearly a statement that could have been made by anyone, even a PS3 loyalist, because it’s completely true.

The PS3 has sold badly compared to the PS2. What’s so negative about saying that? Even Hirai would admit it. Maybe not publicly, but around the shareholders table, no doubt.

And please… If you think that I’m going to fall for some weak bait like ‘GT is better than Forza’, then you’ve got the wrong guy.

#64 1 year ago
  65. freedoms_stain

@64, if that’s all the market wants, why is the gaming experience not the driving force behind marketing and current development?

Sony “Only Does Everything” Microsoft have placed more emphasis on expanding the media capabilities of their box for at least the last 2 years. The Wii was a clear front runner closer to the start of this generation, both MS and Sony attempted to steal some of its thunder by bolting on their own clones of the technology to no tangible results. That all reeks of uncertain direction and strategy to me. On top of that the explosion in smartphone technology and growth of gaming in that sector have all 3 big companies scrambling to get involved somehow.

It’s not the statement you made as much as where you made it, you weren’t given bait, you were given an example of a worthwhile comparison.

#65 1 year ago