Skyrim: Dragonborn DLC trailer lands, watch it here

Monday, 5th November 2012 15:04 GMT By Dave Cook

Skyrim: Dragonborn is the next expansion for Bethesda’s sprawling RPG epic. Watch the reveal trailer below.

Looks like there’s another Dragonborn. Making two. You and a chap in a funny mask. As previously rumoured, you’re going to get to ride on dragons in the upgrade.

Dragonborn will be available for download for 1600 Microsoft Points on Xbox LIVE on December 4, as per the Bethblog.

1. YoungZer0

Should’ve been called ‘Dragonborns’.

2. _LarZen_

That was one boring trailer.

3. YoungZer0

I just hope we get some of the fucked up armors from Morrowind.

4. SlayerGT

On my list of most disappointing games this Gen. Right in front of Ace Combat. Sucks

5. SplatteredHouse

@4: yeah, all hail cross-country: the videogame…Now, with horses!

6. Hcw87

Are you retarded, or do you just not like RPG’s?

There are no other RPG’s out there with more content, better atmosphere, graphics, immersion, sound, than Skyrim. I dare you to name even one from this generation.

7. SlayerGT

@5 I thought the game was great. I just can’t play it. I actually like the “cross-country” aspect. The world is so rich I never fast traveled ever. Guess I should have..might have kept the game from breaking.

8. Edo

@6 While I like really liked Skyrim there’s this little game called The Witcher 2 that actually tops Skyrim in many of those areas you just named,and while it lacks in the sheer amount of content it makes up for it in quality.

9. SplatteredHouse

The valuable part of Skyrim was its settings, to a degree principal characters, and to a greater extent, its thematic inspiration. Oh, #6. There was definitely a lot in it, but unfortunately the gameplay was very one-note. Many and varied instances of “exploration” involving entering a location, heading inside and slaughtering all the occupants. No matter how more interesting their being present made the world. Sometimes, there’d be chests at the end. Deviations were uncommon.

The powerful threat from dragons in the sky was another interesting aspect, too – until they headed to ground and got death-by paper-cutted into a pile of bones. Immersion? The narrative path was underdeveloped, superceded by the needs of the game to leave joining any group little more than another achievement complete. Atmosphere, yes, there definitely was some. The Dagon quest-line was memorable, too.

In my response, I didn’t attack the game as bad. It’s just that most of the memory that I have of it, is running across plains, hill and tundra between dungeons (cba to fast travel for much the same reason as #7). I preferred to paint it that my toon had to actually travel across the land to get to where they wanted to head.

10. Hcw87

Witcher 2 is great, like for example Dragon’s Dogma 2. But just like Dragon’s Dogma 2, it feels more like an action RPG with linear progression, unlike Skyrim’s openness. Areas in Witcher 2 open in sequences or acts if you will, but in Skyrim you can go anywhere and do anything no matter what level you are. It’s completely different games in that regard, and it’s what makes Skyrim stand out from anything else atm.

11. Edo

@10 It’s funny that you have mentioned that The Witcher 2 and Dragon Dogma are more like an action RPG since a lot of people think that Bethesda went the same route with Skyrim especially after you take two previous Elder Scrolls games(Morrowind and Oblivion)into consideration.

12. DarkElfa

It’s stupid to expect everyone to come to some consensus about which RPG is the best. It’s about which one appeals to you and your sensibilities most. I loved Witcher 2 and I loved Dragon Age.

I’ve never been able to finish any Elder Scrolls game without losing interest. Is it because they are bad? No, just not my kind of RPG. I’m more old school. I loved Xenogears and it still sticks with me as the best RPG experience of my life.

Enjoy what you enjoy and stop trying to slam other peoples choices or make them choose yours. Besides, if you’re here doing that, then you aren’t playing the games.

Unless of course you’re playing XenoSaga in which case you may be here passing time during one of it’s 45 minute cut scenes, lol.

13. Hcw87

Those people are stuck in nostalgia mode, and will rage no matter what if something changes from previous games. Take weapon degradation for example. Some people hated that it’s not in Skyrim. But what’s so good about it? All it does it either force you to level up a profession to repair it, or you need to visit a vendor every time you want to repair it. It’s just a timewaster and not fun at all. Also, the combat is improved from Oblivion, so i don’t get what they’re saying at all.

Like i said, some people will never be happy whatever devs do. Just wait until more info on GTA V comes up, someone will allways rage.

14. Hcw87

My problem is people keep whining about stuff they don’t like, spreading negativity everywhere. If you don’t like a game, fine. Just don’t post negative crap if you’re not even into the game. Instead, visit their forum, email the developer about things you want changed.

Instead of saying ”oh, this will be crap”, say nothing at all.

15. DSB

As long as you allow yourself to be blown away by the scale, Skyrim is second to none, but once you start to notice the details it just falls apart.

I also don’t get why Bethesda aren’t more pro-active in cleaning these games up. The code is usually simple enough for mistakes to be solved using the console, so you could quite easily make it a community effort.

It just strikes me as kinda lazy and arrogant, and that’s not a good excuse for broken content.

16. TheWulf

Dragon Knight Saga. On every count. It even does dragons better.

You really shouldn’t say things like that when you don’t know a lot about RPGs. Especially when these comments threads are haunted by an RPG aficionado.

If you’re willing to accept atompunk as a fantasy genre? New Vegas, too.

The simple fact of the matter is that, unmodded, Skyrim is an incredibly fucking boring game. There’s absolutely no emotion present in any of it, least of all the cardboard cutout companions. And if you’re going to do companions, at least do them right.

Take a look at New Vegas to see companions done right.

17. TheWulf

In fact, let me simplify my last post.

What do I want out of an RPG?

- Choice & Consequence.
    - Atmosphere.
    - Emotion.
    - A meaningful story.
    - Memorable characters.
    - A unique personality.

What does Skyrim offer?

- Choice & Consequence?: None.
    - Atmosphere?: A little, but they were too scared to take it too far. Mods make the atmosphere of the dungeons better.
    - Emotion?: Where?
    - A meaningful story?: I’m the Dragonborn! I run around sticking dragons with my mansword. Herp-a-derp. SOLUTIONS VIA VIOLENCE!
    - Memorable characters?: LINES ABOUT CARRYING BURDENS.
    - A unique personality?: It’s Vikings piled into the same generic fantasy pap Bethesda’s been doing since Oblivion.

So I wander around with no emotional motivation, and then… I kill a dragon here or there. None of the emotional impact of the Dragon Knight Saga or New Vegas. Nothing that compels me to actually want to dive into yet another dungeon. It’s just tedious. It has no soul.

18. YoungZer0

Emotional impact of Dragon Knight Saga? Are you serious?

19. SlayerGT

@ Hcw87 I apologize if my post was negative. I love Skyrim. For what I’ve been able to play of it..which was a lot. More than most other games really. I would even say I got my 150 bucks worth. But I love it so much its hurts my heart that I’ve gotten to experience most but not all of the game. I’ve thought about starting new characters to play the side quest “guild” missions I didn’t get to play. But after investing and having to walk away its just a bummer. And everytime they show new content it just reminds me of that disappointment. Skyrim was easily in my top three games of this Gen that I was most excited for. And all my disappointment does is speak to the games greatness. You know that, “better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all”?? Its bullshit :D I kid I kid. Dragons Dogma swooped in and stole my heart anyhow ;)

20. Kabby

Pretty lacklustre trailer. Hard to believe it’s the same team who crafted the original. It feels like they’re just phoning this shit in.

Looks like PS3 and PC users are getting the shaft again too.

21. Hcw87

Well, i never would have spent that much money on any game to be honest, but i don’t really care about all that extra stuff they include in collectors editions and stuff. You really should give the game a try again though, the game really is what you want it to be if you just immerse yourself.

Also, Dragon Knights saga was a buggy piece of crap, perhaps because i played it on console, but still. Gameplay plays a big part of getting immersed into a game, and DKS really lacked there. Sure, it’s a bit more hardcore than Skyrim, but for me it’s fun and playability/accessability rather than 1000 different spells/endings/companions.

Another game that’s a bit more hardcore RPG is Two Worlds 1 and 2, but they also kinda fall into the same category as DKS. Buggy, but a nice game nonetheless.

The companion in Dawnguard was awesome btw, but i guess you didn’t play Dawnguard, did you? (TheWulf).

22. Ireland Michael

@16 An opinion can’t be a fact, by definition of the word.

People are allowed to enjoy what they enjoy. They don’t have to see it the way you do. It doesn’t make them right or wrong, because again… opinions aren’t facts.

23. YoungZer0

But i think it’s fair to say that the writers at Bethesda are horrible.

24. Ireland Michael

@23 I don’t see how. I’ve had plenty of memorable moments and quests in their games.

Okay, Black Isle St– I mean, Obsidian Entertainment are better at it, but they’re better than anyone in the industry at that. It’s far from the worst in the industry.

I’ll take Skyrim’s sometimes hammy fantasy schlock over the forced melodramatic whining of FFVIII, X and XIII, or the pretentious, self obsessed cliches of Xenogears any day.

25. YoungZer0

@24: Yeah, i have to agree on that. But usually i don’t put JRPGs like the FF series in the same category.

26. Kuwabara

besides the shitty bugs and loading, the game has amazing music and environments/atmosphere, scale. A real journey only few games can bring.

27. N1NJ4L3G3ND98

i dont care what anyone says i say this is going to b an awesome addition to one of the worlds greatest games