Driver San Francisco dev opens 40 positions for Watch Dogs development

Monday, 5th November 2012 13:46 GMT By Dave Cook

Driver San Francisco developer Reflections is hiring for work on Ubisoft’s incoming hacker title Watch Dogs, as well as the Just Dance franchise. 40 new roles have opened at the studio.

Speaking withDevelop, general manager of Ubisoft Reflections Giselle Stewart said, “Reflections is pleased to announce the creation of over 40 permanent roles at our Newcastle office. As Ubisoft’s only UK studio, Reflections are working on a number of exciting projects and global collaborations, including Watch Dogs and Just Dance.”

“Our goal is to attract senior and experienced programmers, game designers and artists to work at Reflections, bringing our team to around 200 developers,” Stewart added, “This new growth is recognition of Reflections innovation, creativity and passion for making the best games in the UK and the world.”

It follows a recruitment video posted by Ubisoft, which you can check out here:

1. Edo

I have a strange feeling that this game isn’t nearly as done as they wanted as to believe at this year’s E3 so I wouldn’t be surprised if it would slip into 2014.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Dave Cook

@2 I don’t think they ever gave a solid release window did they? I might be wrong in that. If not, then it can’t technically slip. I can see this being a next-gen launch title on 720.

#2 1 year ago
  3. treborr

Awesome news for tech jobs in the North East. Hoping it expands as the design and development side is really blossoming.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Edo

@2 They said back at E3 that they have been working on it for the last 2 years or so and that it’s coming out next year.The fact that they haven’t shown anything besides that E3 demo and that they are still hiring people at this point doesn’t sound like a 2013 release to me,but we will see.I am certainly looking forward to it cause that demo was fantastic(both story and gameplay wise)and the fact that the actual gfx looked amazing doesn’t hurt either :) therefore as yourself I suspect that this is indeed a PC and next generation title.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Dave Cook

@4 Yeah agreed, such an awesome demo, best thing to come out of E3 imo :)

#5 1 year ago
  6. TFPtMaster

@2 The game is coming to PC PS3 and X360 as they have announced in E3. The demo was the PC version of the game.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Edo

@6 Everyone and their mother by now knows that it was shown on PC,and it might come for the current generation of consoles,but not looking like that.

#7 1 year ago
  8. loki

Driver San Francisco dev? Fail, no thx

#8 1 year ago
  9. Dave Cook

@8 they’re assisting in development. It’s predominantly a Ubisoft Montreal gig.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Edo

@9 I suspect you haven’t met loki yet? :)

#10 1 year ago
  11. TheBlackHole

I believe the E3 demo was a ‘vertical slice’, which is game-dev speak for ‘we’ll make one entirely complete level/mission/area, to show off what the game could be’.

It’s an expensive way of getting investment and greenlight approval from publishers.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Dave Cook

@11 Yep, the vertical slice model has become increasingly common. Apparently costs significantly less than the demo format we’re used to. It’s clever.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Phoenixblight

Except Watch Dogs is fully funded by Ubisoft. THere is no reason to seek more investment. The devs and ubisoft said it has been in development for the last couple of years.

#13 1 year ago
  14. TFPtMaster

@7 whats wrong with you?! I only stated a fact, when Dave said he was seeing this game being a 720 launch title.

I do believe and agree with Dave, about this game being a 720, PS4 launch title to.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Edo

@14 what’s wrong with you?!!I only stated a fact that everyone knows that it was shown on PC.

#15 1 year ago
  16. G1GAHURTZ

I had a fantastic time there, and i’s been more than 10 years since I left Reflections, but they still seem to be developing games in the same way.

Spend years building something that looks fantastic, but barely runs, then spend another 2 years after the game was expected, optimising it and cutting stuff out.

I’m surprised that people haven’t seen the pattern yet…

#16 1 year ago
  17. ManuOtaku

Man i think iam in a minority here, i did like Driver San Francisco, a lot.

#17 1 year ago
  18. TheBlackHole

@13 It still needs to be approved for full-scale development.

#18 1 year ago