Halo 4 launch “set to make entertainment history”, claims Microsoft

Friday, 2nd November 2012 12:48 GMT By Dave Cook

Halo 4 launches worldwide November 6th, and Microsoft is confident that the game will mark the biggest global entertainment launch of the year. So confident in fact it sent us a statement on the matter. Get more quotables below.

The statement sent to VG247 states that 10,000 worldwide game stores and general retailers are holding midnight launches to ring in the Halo 4 launch, that will “spark midnight frenzy” – Better take a weapon or something to defend yourself with if you’re attending.

Microsoft’s declaration comes as the publisher released a slew of Halo franchise stats – chief of which stated that the series has sold 46 million units since it launched in 2001. Check out the mad figures here:

Halo franchise has sold 46 million copies since 2001, Microsoft releases series stats.

We also got a second opinion today on Halo 4 from a guest reviewer who is totally real. Check out their damning testimony here:

Halo 4: through the eyes of a jumpy sceptic.

1. G1GAHURTZ

I’m sure that it will be the biggest entertainment launch of the year.

…for about a week.

2. Dave Cook

;) What makes you say that?

3. SameeR_Fisher

^^ I think cause of Black Ops 2 Dave.

4. monkeygourmet

I wonder what the COD sales figures would be if they actually enforced the age restriction?

It must be 80% 14 year olds and under at the moment…

Mind you, Halo’s pretty bad for that too.

5. Dave Cook

@3 sarcasm innit? ;)

6. Dave Cook

@4 also, that’s a mad thing to say :P absolutely mad. I play Call of Duty. I’m 29.

7. G1GAHURTZ

@2:

It begins with ‘B’ and ends with ’2′…

…and no, it’s not Barbie Horse Adventures 2.

8. viralshag

I hope it does well.

9. Dave Cook

@7 British Truck Simulator 2?

EGADS MAN!

10. monkeygourmet

So do I, on and off (31).

It’s whenever i seem to get in a game, other players seem to be comprised of what can only be described as ‘Gary Glitters Dream Team’… ;)

Im just jealous of their youthful reactions!

11. woe

Microsoft claiming Halo 4 launch set to make entertainment history doesnt seem to be in any of the quotes.

12. uomoartificiale

maybe a good way to approach the doritos aftermath is to refuse to regurgitate PR bullshit. Especially after the good things Patrick Garratt wrote yesterday.
    I mean what is this story about? It is not a report about any fact concerning the Halo 4 game. It’s not a report on Halo 4. This is just PR people telling you to tell your readers that Halo 4 launch is “set to make entertainement history”. And you just did that.
    Integrity is not only based on where the money comes from and how the money is spent (that surely plays a big role). It’s also about what stories you chose to publish, why and how you choose to do that.
    I generally like this site and come here pretty often (I comment sometimes too), I sincerely hope that you consider that, stand by your choices and just do better than this.

13. OrbitMonkey

^ Well yes quite, YOU may not consider it news, but maybe, just maybe, fans of the series like to here this kind of thing. Adds to their level of excitement.

This site caters to more than just you & other slipper wearing sensible types.

14. ududy

Whip them into frenzy, Microsoft!

15. Dave Cook

@14 +1

16. Joe Musashi

Hmm. Does that mean it’s bigger than “the biggest moment in the history of the internet” then?

JM

17. Mike W

I doubt it.. Black Ops 2 is going to killed that quick. Like the first guy said…

“For a week”

18. Dave Cook

@12 we’re a news service that dispenses raw facts. This is what news services do.

Plus we write a hell of a lot of bespoke editorial. You don’t have to go far on our site to find it. It’s everywhere.

Amazes me when people accuse us of *only* reporting on press releases. They clearly haven’t been reading much of our output.

19. alimokrane

It has nothing to do with the game’s ratings. Halo 4 is exclusive to ONE platform, COD BO2 releases on PS3/Xbox360/PC. The comparison DOES NOT WORK and therefore SHOULD NOT be made. The only valid comparion is Halo 4 Xbox 360 against COD BO2 Xbox 360 sales.

20. _LarZen_

If only Microsoft used some of the millions they use on PR on new exclusive games I would be a happy gamer.

21. Mike W

Yea that would be great. But why do that when you have three major titles on your platform that sell like hot cakes on your platform alone? MS is not like it’s competitors. It only put things on their system that sells in the bundles. That’s why I don’t think we’re going see another Alan wake game again. I really like that game.. :(

22. uomoartificiale

@18 I never said that you just “only” report press releases, I know this site and I appreciate the content. I also told you that I appreciated how Patrick reacted to all the mess that happened this week. My point though is still standing: this is not news, this is PR. Other posts today are news or reports on things happening in the industry. This is not, in my opinion. Did you think about that?
    You should consider this and ask yourself if it complies with your rejuvinated editorial standards. It seems that it does, from what I can see by your response and I can live with that, I’m not going anywhere, we just disagree (easier than evoke any conspiracy).
    I want to point out though that acting over-defensive and shrugging your shoulders over other people’s criticism is what dug you in the pit you ended up just recently, even if I can only image the pressure you were subjected to.

23. Dave Cook

Woah man I never said you were saying that. I’m talking about our broader perception, not yours :)