Bored of your Wii? Microsoft wants you to buy an Xbox 360

Thursday, 1st November 2012 12:36 GMT By Dave Cook

Microsoft’s general manager of Interactive Entertainment product marketing Matt Barlow – aka, ‘the one with the longest job title ever’ – has stated the case for buying an Xbox 360 if you’re bored with your Wii, and has absolutely nothing to do with the impending release of Wii, obviously.

Speaking with GI.biz, Barlow reeled off the case for Xbox 360, “I think this holiday season is an amazing jump off for all those people who may have been interested in the Wii and now want to be interested in high definition gaming.”

“I can’t think of a better console for them to choose than one that has the most games available, the highest rated games available, than the Xbox 360 platform.”

“And when you look at the alternative experiences that we’re going to bring with SmartGlass, the entertainment providers that we’re bringing on board, with sports and music and movies and TV, and then if you think about those preeminent best selling blockbuster games that they’re going to want to play – Halo, Call of Duty, Assassin’s Creed, Forza, Nike+ Kinect Fitness – they either play first or they play best on Xbox 360 and nowhere else.”

How do you feel after reading all of that? Do you find yourself reaching for your wallet subconsciously? Have you begun walking to your local game retailer like a zombie? Let us know what you feel below.

Thanks Nintendo Life.

1. ManuOtaku

I understand this tactic, i really do, but they think it will work?, the most possible outcome for the people that owned the Wii, and only the Wii, is buying the WiiU, the players that have multi consoles, they will buy a microsoft console, but just the 720 not the 360, therefore i do really understand the nature of this tactic, but iam not sure if they believe it will work, heck i dont know if is even worth the shot.

2. G1GAHURTZ

Don’t let Nintendo Wii on U… buy a 360, instead!

3. Bomba Luigi

Buy the PS3, Buy Plus too and you will have enough Games to play. I would only say buy the Xbox when you more interesstet in Multimediawhatever-Stuff, but when it comes to Games, the PS3 has taken the Lead.

4. Mike W

Or just get a Wii U ;)

5. Kuwabara

@ 2 Don’t by a 360, you’ll be back where you started, bored!!

6. deathm00n

@3 You’re extremely right. If you are entering this later in the HD games, you better take PS3 because of plus, so you can have a lot of games from day one of your purchase with the price of one game. If you are a multimedia fag stick with Xbox

7. OrbitMonkey

^ oh the irony. Back at launch the PS3 was the multimedia device & the 360 had games. Now the 360 is for “multimedia fags”?

8. livewired500

I would buy a second 360 before getting the U. Wii is terrible, but I got because I have young kids. Since we got the Kinect though, they really haven’t played it all, but Kirby once in a while.

But I’m not bothering buying anymore gaming devices or PC’s this year. Going to wait until next gen.

Before fanbois say anything, I already have 2 PS3′s and a gaming PC.

9. Gadzooks!

If you like the *idea* of games, but don’t really like involved or involving gameplay then PS3 is perfect.

PS3 has all the gameplay-lite stuff that shallow hipsters enjoy, like tonnes of QTE’s, narrow boring linear corridor games, semi-interactive movie-like ‘games’, and of course it’s a bluray player: It’s one redeeming feature.

If you like *actually playing games* then the 360 is the only logical choice because that’s where Gameplay is always first priority.

Besides, why invest in a Sony product when they are clearly not going to be around much longer? *Poof* there goes your servers, patches, and that library of RENTED games from PSN+.

10. G1GAHURTZ

It’s all gonna kick off, now…

11. Deacon

#9 – you’re right. When I want hardcore gameplay I go straight to Kinect too ;)

[edit] seriously though, considering most games are multiplat, I don’t really know how you can keep saying this (and you do). Just sayin’.

We get that you don’t like God of War, or Heavy Rain.

Aaaand that’s me done :)

12. Bomba Luigi

The Thing is that Sony has exclusiv Titels in the Pipeline for the PS3 that are not only a Safe bet with no Risk. They take Risks and not just do the same Thing over and over again.

Thats a strange Thing, because in the Beginning of the Current Gen MS did a better Job with Games. Now MS is looking for the Multimedia Stuff, Smartglass, Kinect and all the Stuff. MS wants to Take your Livingroom, Connecting everything with Win8, Attacking the Mobil Market with Xbox as just one Thing in the Arsenal.
    The Gamers are not what they want right know, becaus they already have them, MS is in the Lead. And thats why they make the Same Mistake Sony did when the PS2 Ruled the World
    Bad for me as a Gamer, like I said, when Gaming is not your Nr.1 and other Things more importent, MS has some good stuff for you. What they do is not Bad, its just dissapointing for me as a Gamer.

But Sony has learned from there Mistake, they have to Win the Gamers back and they do that with Games and not with Some “Read behind Scene Stuff about the Series you Watch” Stuff. Not everything is Perfekt in Sony Land, but its way better then some Years ago.

13. Gadzooks!

#10

*giggle*

/popcorn

*choke*

/mountain dew

14. DrDamn

There appears to be something wrong with your shift key.

15. Deacon

That or he’s missing a lot of stops.

16. Gadzooks!

#14

I think you mis-spelt ‘brain’ as ‘shift key’.

17. Cobra951

You cant swing a dead Wii around here without smacking a fanboi. Yikes!

18. ManuOtaku

#17 and thats the nintendo magic ;)

19. Erthazus

“If you like *actually playing games* then the 360 is the only logical choice”

To not buy a console, because that one has “NO GAEMS” at all. Schwing!

Avoid it at all cost!

Now, ladies and gentlemen, let me enjoy my DUST 514 beta full of strategy, deep character development. See ya.

20. ManuOtaku

You know iam not a PC never have been and i think i never will, although one cant never say never, for various reasons i stated in past threads, and sometimes i feel bad knowing that i cannot play games like amnesia, diablo, grim fandango, etc, i know iam missing something good and really special, and that feeling, as an avid gamer myself, is not a great one, so my advice to any fellow avid gamers is buy everything you can from sony, microsoft, nintendo , PC, etc, and/or any other that joins the frey in the particular future( heres is hoping for a SEGA comeback by the way), experience all the games you likem, without mattering the manufacturer.
    p.s: I would follow my own advice if i wasnt so reluctant of seeing the PC as a work station instead of a gaming one, that and the controls (mouse+keyboard)iam not a fan.

21. Christopher Jack

@20, There’s an increasing amount of games coming out with native support for the X360 controller on PC. Frankly I’ve learnt to adapt to the KB&M combo, you really do notice it’s superiority in certain genres, especially FPS, but it also has it’s own problems, most noticeably racing games &, in my opinion, fighting games.

22. ManuOtaku

#21 christopher, well if thats the case i might try it, really, well i will have to buy a PC, i only own a laptop and a tablet, but i would not mind to put my PC rig next to my consoles, if i can play the games with a controller that is and playing on my couch, thanks for the info mate.

23. viralshag

@20, Manu, Like Chris said many games now have support for the pad as default. The day every game, within reason that is (excluding RTS games for example), have pad support will be the day I won’t need to buy consoles.

24. polygem

@ #9, Gadzooks: pretty offensive posting but actually spot on.
    @14: he´s italian.

get a wiiu and a ps3 OR 360. i´d personally always prefer the 360, see post #9…

25. Gadzooks!

#24

Thanks, I thought I should post in the same manner as the morons before me.

26. polygem

:D
    yep you gotta fight fire with fire

27. Gadzooks!

#26

But dont get trapped under ice or the shortest straw will be pulled for you and there will be no justice for all, only a master of puppets that will kill ‘em all.

\m/

28. OrbitMonkey

^ Justin Bieber?

29. Digital Bamboo

There are some exclusives that I would like to one day play on Xbox360, but not quite enough to justify spending $250 on a 7 year old machine, even if it does come with 2 games. $200 and my CHOICE of 2 games? Well now, that might be a little harder to pass up.

I’m not planning on buying any new systems any time soon, though I will almost certainly get a Wii U in a few years. 360? I don’t think I have time to play that many games. Late to the party with a PS3, Wii, DS & PSP, my backlog is too big as it is.

MS could still win me over if they outdo Sony next round, but PS exclusives carry a little more weight currently. In all honesty I wish they would just merge so I wouldn’t have to miss out one way or another, but of course that’s not going to happen.

30. Clupula

#9 – it’s actually pretty hilarious to see a fanboy diddling himself over the thought of a company the size of Sony going under. It’s nice to know that some people are so blinded by brand loyalty that they don’t see when something would be catastrophic for the industry.

But then again, it was people like him who convinced me a PS3 was the system I should get in the first place, because I didn’t want to deal with the douchebags that populate X-box Live and spend most of their day spewing venom against a rival company’s system.

31. polygem

@30:
    i have met the worst racist asshole ever while playing uncharted by the way. no lie. true story.
    on xbl you can by default mute, kick, avoid, dislike anybody and easily file a complaint to ms by pressing a button. your choice (if you have to choose) should have been 360 then. there are just as many douchebags on psn. i can asure you about that. i own both systems. but it´s far more easy to avoid douchebags on 360.
    i have no hate for the ps3, not at all but be honest to yourself….can you say the same about yourself and the 360? (or nintendo by the way)? i have seen you being one of the biggest sony bots on this page countless times. just to make thinks clear and disguise you a little….

@27: i think it´s more like you should show no mercy, because hell awaits, in the reign of blood at the south of heaven…

32. Telepathic.Geometry

Just throwing in my 2 cents but, I’ve played Uncharted 2, Borderlands and Demon’s/Dark Souls online on the PS3, and I’ve almost universally had very positive experiences. I guess it must reflect the general character of the games themselves (although poly seems to have run into a bad one), expecially in the case of DS.

On DS I’ve had the pleasure of meeting some genuine gents on there thanks to whom I realised what can be so good about online gaming.

33. Gadzooks!

#30

Losing an arrogant, bloated, over-hyping, under-delivering, industry crippling pusher of unnecessarly awkward or propriatry technology is a good thing.

It would make way for a fresh competitor, one capable of producing a system based on an idealogy that isn’t rooted in the last decade, reeking of a dinosaur-like insular mindset.

It would ease the burden on developers and afford them the tine and resource to explore fresh ideas, rather then spending inordinate amounts of time fighting retarded hardware designs.

So yes, Sony dying off would be the best thing that could possibly happen to gaming.

34. Deacon

@33 – yikes! you really think so?

Worry not Gadz. Only a few more years and the devs will be freed from their torturous affair with teh cell.

35. Gekidami

VG247 rule number one: Dont believe anything Gadzooks, Polygem or Daman say about their experiences on PS3. It’ll always be “It was worst than ‘X’”.

Gotta love this, by the way:

“Thanks, I thought I should post in the same manner as the morons before me.”
    Poor Gadzooks is becoming a parody of himself.

36. Erthazus

@Gadzooks, Don’t worry my dear, mama will buy you next playstation this time for su-u-u-ure if you can’t afford it alone son.

Sony is going to have an AMD Fusion processor this time around so you won’t need to worry about developers torture but you should worry about your homework.

37. OrbitMonkey

Swap Microsft for Sony at the end there & that rant makes sense for the other set of fanboys your waving your penis at.

In fact i reckon thats what happens anyway. I mean after years of reading these boring little corporate cockfights, i have to say you all sound the same. Your all just copy/pasteing each other now.

38. Deacon

I’m glad that Sony went about things in a different fashion to MS this gen. Truly. It may not have worked out that well for them (to begin with especially) but where would the fun be with two near-identical systems? It would have given the fanboys less ammo, sure, but it wouldn’t have made them any less rabid.

Those who go around acting like Sony are a cancer on this gen really need to get a grip and let it go already. It’s done. And at the end of the day the system houses some truly great games. We all know where the Xbox excels, but I still don’t see Microsoft as a gaming company. I’m not a hater though, I use Windows everyday so how could I be! ;)

When Microsoft has first party studios that create the sort of experiences that Sony studios do, then I will start looking up to them and may even invest into one of their systems. As it stands, they are great at throwing money at developers/publishers, but not that creative overall. Kinect is great in theory, but, well, I’ve ranted enough about that on here already…

MS built a pretty ‘safe’ PC in a box and shoved it out the door as a console. Sony went a bit more ambitious and we all know how that turned out.

Whichever console you’ve invested in this gen I think we can all agree that we’ve seen some fantastic titles over the last 6 or 7 years, and that overall it doesn’t really matter which console you own. If you play online and chat a lot then you’re probably better off on Xbox. If you’re more a solo player and want quirky Japanese games (and to support your childhood hero Sony), then you went PS3.

I’m just thinking out loud here… bored at work and thought I’d state my (mostly obvious) opinions for y’all.

[more...]

Do I think Sony are going to kill it next gen? No.
    Do I think MS will continue to dominate in the states next gen? Yes.
    I’m glad America isn’t the centre of MY world ;)

As sad as it sounds, I think the winner of next gen will be the one who spends the most on marketing, and the one that gets the exclusive rights or ‘superior’ versions of CoD and Fifa.

39. livewired500

These arguments get me all nostalgic and stuff. Just thinking back to when I was a lad and it was my geeky friends arguing NES v Sega and SNES v Genesis.

Mostly remember:
    “NES has more games especially Zelda.” “Master System has two game slots.”
    “SNES has more colors.” “Genesis has better games.” “SSF II looks better on SNES.” “Genesis has better controller.” Blah blah blah

I had both. I remember having this A/B switch for the NES and Sega. Then some rig that had the SNES going through the VCR. Was quite bizarre, but worked.

There was no N64 v Sega Saturn because the PS1 had kicked them both in the rear and was holding their faces down the mud. And the first time I passed up a Nintendo system and went with the two CD based systems.

Then there wasn’t much of an argument until xbox came along and you jibs started up the same old argument of 1985….

such memories….Still not getting another x360 or a WiiU. A MS Surface maybe, but will wait for the Pro version.

Now Apple v PC, there is a good long standing argument

40. Gadzooks!

#34

That is my opinion, yes. Like it, don’t like it, I care not. It is what it is.

Ditching Cell is a very smart move, but I just don’t trust them to not fuck it all up again at the last minute with some stupid propriatry piece of tech which cripples an otherwise standardised machine.

As important though, is Sony’s focus on visuals>all.

Sony are exactly like Apple. Image is everything, content is an afterthought. Their products are only desirable because of the ‘cool’ factor, but they tend to be shallow experiences.

Hip gear for hipsters.

41. G1GAHURTZ

And where are SEGA now, eh…?

Mwahahahahahaaaaa…

Mario fireballed that pot bellied blue hedgehog into the dirt!

42. Deacon

@40 – then why does everyone state the high price point as the main factor the Vita (and initially the PS3) didn’t / aren’t selling?

I get what you mean by comparing the two, but Sony don’t inflate their costs needlessly like Apple. Apple DEFINITELY sell because they’re seen as cool. I don’t know where you’ve acquired this ‘cool hipster’ viewpoint. I mean, I probably am a lot cooler than you, but how would you know that? ;)

Why not compare the two’s first-party output, then let’s discuss who has the greater focus on content.

43. Dragon246

The unsubstantiated bullshit you talk about ps3 and its games is truly hilarious. Cross game chat has its advantages, but online bullying is one of its greatest cons, and everybody except halo lovers and xbot acknowledges that. Keep up your hating.

Completely true.

44. Ireland Michael

@43 Uh, cross game chat doesn’t promote bullying. If anything, it helps avoid it, because you have to *choose* to join a party, and they can be friends only. It also keeps you out of the in-game chat, which is where the majority of the bullying occurs.

So I’d say your claim is the one that’s unsubstantiated.

Stop being a format fanboy. It makes you look ridiculous. You can’t lecture people about being format bitches and “hating” on a format when you’re doing the exact same thing yourself, just on the other side of the fence.

Buy whatever the fuck you want. Whether its a Wii U, a 360, an Xbox, an iPad, or a freaking Dreamcast. Who bloody cares what people are buying as long as *they* are enjoying themselves?

45. Dragon246

You may be right. But I have seen cases where cross-chat helps that. Take this analogy, would you be more offended if someone talks to you shit or when someone texts you shit. Think about that and you will understand what I mean. If you read what I said carefully ,I said cross-game chat is a has good feature, and I give kudos to ms for implementing such a good feature which will become the industry standard next-gen. But saying other games have more online shit talking guys than cod and halo is wrong, you should know that. It is probably because they are the most popular online games and with more people comes more garbage.
    Cross game chat is the future. So is the fact that halo and cod have most number of shit-talkers than any other game.

“I remember, even recently, when I was having a discussion on the balanced merits and failings of the all the formats, you just couldn’t stop with the “Ooh Emm Gee PS3 is better is talk.” Do you even realize you’re doing the exact same thing you’re criticising people of doing?”
    Name the article and what I said. And if you think there isnt anything like xbots or ndf here then you are grossly mistaken. Unlike them, I can talk about sonys bad policies. But these guys openly admit that “I dont see any wrong with ninty” which is plain bullshit. Fanboys are those think a company should go down/die/leave biz just cuz these people want that. I would never say that, because each one of them has thousands of employees.
    Now tell me who is a fanboy.

46. Clupula

@31 – please do point out where I said that I wanted any company to go out of business. And I’ve said I don’t like Halo. I think that’s hardly equivalent to some of the venom I’ve seen by some of the anti-Sony people. Show me where I’ve gone on some overzealous rant about Microsoft being a corporate soulless cancer on the game industry. I’ll wait. I’ll say I find talking to the majority of their fanbase to be equivalent to being stuck in an elevator with Dane Cook and Russell Brand. I have nothing against the company, just the people who seem to obnoxiously put down other systems to hype up their own.

As for Nintendo, I have nothing against them. Whenever they’re about to announce a new system, there’s a sense of anticipation from me that they’ll announce something I might actually be interested in. They’ve failed me several generations in a row, of course. I was fully expecting the Wii U to be the next step past the PS3 and 360, and instead it’s just another current gen system that uses its extra RAM to power some stupid gimmicky controller. I like that they seem to be moving past kid’s games, with their acquisition of Bayonetta 2 and their publishing of Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge.

However, I think their fanbase are the worst of all, because they live in some sort of delusional wonderland, where Nintendo can do no wrong, and they are solely responsible for all gaming, everywhere.

So, in sort, I don’t have any problem with any of the three companies. It’s more a problem with the fanbases.

47. Clupula

@45 – And that’s exactly what other people don’t seem to get. This particular generation, the PS3 offers the most of what I want. The other two systems do not. The next generation, which I define as the PS4 and the 720 or whatever Microsoft call their next system, may prove differently. If things go the way they have this generation, with the majority of Japanese gaming focusing on the PS4 over its competitor, than I will stick with Sony. If Microsoft manages to win Japan, then I will go with their system. It all depends on who comes up with 20 exclusives that I absolutely must play.

I can talk quite a lot about the things I think Sony did wrong this generation. I don’t see others bringing up the faults of their own companies. To listen to some of you, Microsoft are the perfect corporation and they’ve done nothing wrong, ever. And as I said above, don’t even get me started on the glorious utopia Miyamoto built. As I said before, if Miyamoto broke into some of your homes and took a dump on your living room carpet, as long as he put a Nintendo logo on it afterwards, you’d talk about how great it was that he did that.

This is why I’ve said I have no problem with any company (well, Sega do seem to be a bunch of fuck-ups, which is sad because they have the best franchises out of any single third party out there), it’s the fanbases that annoy me.

48. Dragon246

“As I said before, if Miyamoto broke into some of your homes and took a dump on your living room carpet, as long as he put a Nintendo logo on it afterwards, you’d talk about how great it was that he did that.”
    :D Its probably true!
    Completely agree with what you said.

49. polygem

@Dragon, Clupula: Figure all that out by yourselves will ya? i explained myself a million times and i can´t be bothered to tell you again and again.

50. monkeygourmet

@Clupula

The Playstation brand wouldn’t even exist unless Nintendo had helped Sony ‘birth’ it…

That effectively makes Nintendo, Sonys ‘Daddy’…

You should always look up to your Daddy…

Go on, respect your Daddy.

Kiss your Daddy…

51. polygem

@44: i just saw your post. i totally 100% sign that…now i am outta here because everything is said.

ahhh, no, one more thing:

@50:

:D

52. Ireland Michael

@51 <3

53. stretch215

Delusional console loyalists. lol. You guys are some fucking weirdos.

54. Clupula

@50 – Dude, there are easier ways to come on to me.

And yes, I’m aware that Nintendo fucked over Sony when they were making the Playstation CD add-on for the SNES. I’m old enough to remember when all that shit happened. In fact, I’m old enough that I remember the generation BEFORE the NES, before the big videogame crash.