Windows Phone 8 to get ’49 of the top 50 games’ in by 2013

Tuesday, 30th October 2012 10:15 GMT By Dave Cook

Windows Phone 8 will get a slew of the mobile world’s top gaming apps by the start of 2013, Microsoft has stated. It comes after we reported that Gameloft is optimising 12 of its top titles for the format, with Xbox Live and achievement support.

GI.biz reports that Microsoft made the claim at a Windows Phone 8 event yesterday.

The site states that 46 of the top 50 apps around right now will be brought across to the format by 2013, including such heavyweights as Angry Birds: Star Wars, Cut the Rope, Words With Friends and Draw Something.

Then of course 12 Gameloft titles. Check out the full list of games they’re bringing to Windows Phone 8 here.

1. G1GAHURTZ

Microsoft is taking over!!

…again!!

2. pukem0n

actually Microsofts WP platform is quite good.

while Android and especially iOS begin looking ancient, MS actually takes a leap forward with WP and Windows in general.
    At least that you should respect.

I dont know, how big their app ecosystem ist, but i guess all the essentials are available too. if only the install base would be bigger

3. Gadzooks!

Games are nice, but I’d much rather MS spend some time fixing the godawful text input system on windows phone.

There’s no ‘select all’ for a text box, cutting and pasting is a guessing game, and trying to position the cursor in a sentence is an exercise in frustration.

Then there’s the utterly stupid ‘Settings’ layout, laggy back button launching task manager, and a million other really basic usability bugs and awkwardnesses.

In short, make Windows phone not utterly shit a priority, not games.

Oh, and fuck you anyway MS for selling me a brand new phone model days after launch, then telling me the next week that my phone is old tech and won’t be win8 compatible.

Fuck you very much MS.

4. Gadzooks!

#2

It’s all show dude.

WinPhone looks swish, but functionally it’s basic, awkward and lacking a vast number of essential features.

5. freedoms_stain

I wouldn’t touch Windows Phone with a shitty stick.

Utter disregard for their customers. WP7 and WP8 were developed more or less in tandem with MS well aware that WP7 devices would not be getting WP8 updates and that the 2 platforms are essentially incompatible (software developed on WP7 is not compatible with WP8 and vice versa) which basically leaves WP7 owners with a brick that nobody is going to want to develop for or support shortly after WP8 comes out.

I almost bought a Lumia 900 because it looked smart as fuck, then I read that little piece of info. Yeah, not going to happen.

6. G1GAHURTZ

The Windows Phone 8 reviews that I’ve seen so far have been very positive.

I plan on getting one having had both iOS and Android phones recently. I’m trying to change to a completely Windows based ecosystem, with a PC, tablet and phone all running the same(ish) software.

7. Mike W

Lmao

“Shitty stick” to funny bro, to funny.

Anyway I want to try windows 8 out. But I’m contemplating if I go into a store with $600, I might be tempted just to buy an iPad.

8. Gadzooks!

#6

Sorry to dissapoint, but an integrated phone, tablet and PC ain’t gonna happen on MS software. Windows, Windows RT and Windows Phone simply don’t fit together at all, and virtually nothing apart from some documents can be shared over the vastly different OS’s.

Prime example: The epic facepalm that is Zune has to be used to update or get content from a winphone. Seriously. Fucking Zune.

I could hotplug my Droid phone via USB years ago.

Zune. I’m seriously you guys, it doesn’t get more inept or disconnected than that.

MS don’t have a clue about connected devices. Not one clue.

9. Mike W

It’s sounds like you’re a tech savvy guy, so it’s safe to say you’re not getting a surface? ;)

10. G1GAHURTZ

@Gz:

Windows and RT are pretty much the same thing, and being able to sync between different PCs/laptops/tablets easily seems like an excellent feature to me.

Also, MS have just released a WP8 app, so no more need for Zune anymore…

11. Gadzooks!

#9

I’m an MSCD and have to develop apps with MS products that don’t interface well on a daily basis. It drives me insane, frankly.

I have no use for a tablet of any kind to be honest. If I did, Windows RT would be at the bottom of my list.

A full-fat Win8 tablet would be at the top though, if money were no object.

12. SlayerGT

@3 +1

13. Gadzooks!

#10

How is that win8 phone app any better than Zune apart from not having quite such a megamong UI?

I don’t, and likely won’t, have Windows 8 so it’s worthless to me, and all the other places where my Droid phone could be used as a USB stick still won’t read my Windows phone.

14. G1GAHURTZ

I’m not sure about the quality of the app, or Windows 8′s syncing abilities, but it looks like MS are taking steps in the right direction.

I think it’s clear that they’re going for a single ecosystem that covers mobile, tablet and PC to go up against Apple, and I think, as time goes on, they can some up with something that works excellently.

Syncing settings across PCs from a single account is a super idea, and to me, it’s a sign that MS are really focused on bringing all of their products as close together as possible.

I think that this, along with SmartGlass and being able to interact seamlessly between completely different formats (Xbox-PC-RT tablets-WP8) is a sign of where MS are going.

So that’s why I’m planning on leaving iOS/Android and going for Windows products for the next couple of years, at least.

15. Gadzooks!

#14

The ‘big picture’ stuff is all well and good. Single solution, integration, synching, etc.. But if the basics are so horribly broken then who cares whether broken garbage syncs seamlessly with near-unusable crap?

16. Bomba Luigi

It just kinda looks that they made OS for Smartphones/Tablets, and then just port it to the Desktop PC. It looks so scary for an old Fashioned Dude like me. Why not give the Option to Choose between Metro Design and no Metro Design? People who like Metro woud be happy, people who don’t like it woud be happy. A Win Win Situation. Or am I just to Stupid to understand that?

But in the End, the Reason why I don’t geht Win8 is very simple: I’m happy with Win7. So theres no need for Change.

17. G1GAHURTZ

@Gz:

So true. That’s my only concern. I’m using Windows 8 already, and I have to admit that the Windows Store, among other things, have been a bit flaky at times, so far.

Well, if they hire more and more ex Apple staff, like they have been doing, they should get it right eventually…

18. Maximum Payne